Found my second batch of rings with Map Dowsing

motel6.5

Mar 27, 2012
Nevada,Calif.,Utah,Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A photo of the first rods I made out of coat hangers. I put a piece of metal on the rug and walked to it with the rods. As I approached the rods I could feel some type of force between the rods and they pulled a little toward each other.I did this several times and each time I could feel what I thought was some type of magnetic force between the rodsand had the same result. I will try this in the desert on my next outing. _DSC1881.JPG

Last edited:

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
So, is it hit and miss? Some are better than others?....what's the deal?
The man says he is learning. The man is telling us how and what he is doing. It is no big deal as there are millions of us that do the same thing...Art

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not all are leaning. Some say have dome it all my life and such. That's what I'm asking. Is it that some people are alot better than others or is the art of dowsing is by nature hit and miss......sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Yes Art, he's leaning. Dont be snippy. You wonder why people don t like to ask about dowsing? That's why. I asked here because I dont know the aswer to a question. I didn't ask like an arse. I asked politely.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
A photo of the first rods I made out of coat hangers
I like my handles to be longer. I like 5 inch handles. Try locating your utility lines. Everyone should know where they are because if you start having problems it will help if you have a company working on them that is dishonest..Art

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, is it hit and miss? Some are better than others?....what's the deal?

I've watched a few vids now....because I was honestly interested, that made me laugh. Others, well you just have to have faith I suppose that they are real and the people are being honest. However, there are a few on this site even, that don't make a guy want to say wow, that looks like it might have some credibility.

Just asking, not trying to sir it up. It's just this is hard to find out about if you don't know someone personally that does it.
I like videos now, it helped me a lot to watch them. I'm learning to edit video clips myself, maybe get a YouTube account sometime a post a couple.

Here is one video that made me laugh a lot, dowsing for oil with a branch on Kentucky oil leases.

If you want to see some finds made by a museum board, during a survey using GE map dowsing.

Dowsing help for museum board of Ohio French historical site

You mention dowsing or map dowsing, people think immediately of trying to find gold bars or coins. Dowsing can be used for treasure and a number of other type of targets. Check out these crystalline diamond ore specimens.

Trip to Crater of Diamonds State Park with L-rods

Last edited:

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Not all are leaning. Some say have dome it all my life and such. That's what I'm asking. Is it that some people are alot better than others or is the art of dowsing is by nature hit and miss......sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
There is a lot to learn. Most everyone can get the rods to close. What you learn after that is what makes you better than someone else...dowsing always works for me because I have spent the time so I know what the rods are telling me...Art

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
I bought an older home. About a year later the sewer backed up. I had a guy come in and clear the main line. About 2 years later it plugged again. So I called again. He ran one basket and told me I would to pay for another 75 foot basket because he never got to the main sewer line. I had already check where the sewer line ran and knew it was only 60 feet to the main line. So I told him to pack up and get out of my house...My sewer line made a right turn right under a mulberry tree....Art

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen know that I am late for the party. I never have posted or have read this forum before. Years ago when I was a young brash man got involved in this treasure business. This was back in the early to mid 1970's. It was very easy to communicate with some of the big bugs in the treasure field. I became friends with Al Cannon, Rocky La Gaye, Bill Cook, Dean Miller a.k.a. Karl von Muller. Even got to have a few conversations with Charlie Garrett. There were others just saying in those days it was easy to get to know them. Not as many running around hunting treasure in them days it was a tight community.

In the very early 1980's I can't remember the exact date. Bill Cook and I were invited to a pow wow in Fremont, Nebraska to a private treasure get together it was hosted by KvM. This was to be his last hoorah as he was turning over Exanimo, and the N.P.G. over to Paul Tainter. We had the treasure hunt in Fremont but camped at a place Paul had in Ames, Nebraska. There were about 18 of us there. We had a good campfire the night before the hunt. A good meal and more tales than I care to remember.

One of the people Karl invited was a fellow by the name of Ernie Andrews. Ernie was a very old man when I met him. He was a professional treasure hunter and didn't own a metal detector. He was a dowser. He was very, VERY good. Like I said I was a brash young man and told him I had very little faith in dowsing in no uncertain terms. Karl heard that and told me I better get up early in the morning as Ernie was going to take me to school. In the morning before the hunt Ernie took me to a old park and got out of his old pickup truck and ask me what I would like to find. I said a buffalo nickel, he dug out a old pill bottle got out a buffalo nickel and his pendulum told me to get my digging tool ready. In about five minutes he told me to dig in a spot he had found. I dug up a buffalo nickel. He did the same for a silver dime and a Indian head penny.

I was sold and ended up buying a couple of his pendulumes. He worked with me for a hour or so and he told me to practice, practice, practice. I did for a while until winter then I lost interest. He was right to get good you have to practice. When we got back Karl ask me how school went. I told him I am now a believer. Karl said Ernie was the best that he ever met. I saw it with my own eyes and glad that he worked with me and was able to know him for a brief moment.

I also met a man from Harris, Iowa that was a water witch. We talked and got a few tips from him. He told me I had the gift if I care to use it. Never did it and now I wish I would have. You can believe or not it's up to you. I have seen and believe. Just a story from my past not bragging just telling. For what it's worth think that Paul an I are the last two standing as we were the youngsters of that bunch. I had no idea that at the time I was walking with giants.

Senior Deacon

Bullet:Mich.

Mar 20, 2003
Michigan USA
There are good dowers and then there are people that think they are good dowsers. Either way it takes many yrs of practicing to become a good dowser and it normally has to do with their mentor.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started reading treasure magazines in the late 1980s. What really impressed me was the good dowsing articles published during a 3 year period. A Denver TV station interviewed a couple successful dowsing treasure hunters who searched together to recover multiple caches. These guys became so skilled at cache dowsing that once, they drove from Denver to across the California border for a cache. Much of their treasure ended up being donated to their favorite charities.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wish I knew someone in my area that did it. My Dad has spoke of a man water witching in this area a long time ago. I would like to see it done in person. Not trying to be a skeptic.....just have never seen it done before in real life.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could try walking with a pair of rods, just to see what happens, people have done this, found out they responded. Here is simple coat hanger rods easy to make instructions.

Making DIY hanger L-rods for dowsing

OP
OP
goldkey

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I knew someone in my area that did it. My Dad has spoke of a man water witching in this area a long time ago. I would like to see it done in person. Not trying to be a skeptic.....just have never seen it done before in real life.

RedDesert is right........There's nothing like doing it yourself. A simple set of coat hangers can make you a believer. If you find it doesn't interest you, then stay with the type of treasure hunting that does appeal to you. I am learning over the years that the more you do something...the better results you get from the practise you put into it. It's that way with anything. I get the same excitement from dowsing that I do when I find something good with a metal detector. I get excited when I eyeball something in a parking lot. There's a lot to learn about dowsing and most of it seems to still be a mystery.

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of you fellows talk about L-rods I did better with a pendulum. Dean Miller wrote a couple of books on Pendulums and doodlebugs. Guess I am of the opinion that they are better than L-rods. To me they seem more sensitive. Then again it may depend on the operator. There is so much that is a mystery in this field. You fellows have rekindled my interest in the subject.

Senior Deacon

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Most of you fellows talk about L-rods I did better with a pendulum. Dean Miller wrote a couple of books on Pendulums and doodlebugs. Guess I am of the opinion that they are better than L-rods. To me they seem more sensitive. Then again it may depend on the operator. There is so much that is a mystery in this field. You fellows have rekindled my interest in the subject.
Dowsing is pretty much what works for you. I am a two rod user and will always be one. Mystery is what treasure hunting is about. ...Art

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Senior Deacon
I've used pendulums to dowse with at home, used them as a pin-pointer at the park for beeped targets metal detected. By sweeping the coil of the MD to find a possible coin, avoiding the detectors pin-point mode. Once took out my pendulum for to pin-point a dime id. Dug straight down with a screw driver and hit the very center of the dime. Pendulums work as good or can be very accurate if done right to locate objects. My research on pendulums turned up info about the old days, Cherokees must of had the technique of pendulum dowsing refined enough for dowsing lost items.

Cherokee Dowsing

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Got a google map of a local beach last night and dowsed it. I came up with 2 areas on the map that I wanted to go hunt today.
My particular dowsing was for gold rings. I got to the beach and started with the first red circle on the south side of the map. Didn't find any gold in that area.
I figured maybe the gold was too deep or I had perhaps missed them.....or maybe there wasn't any rings there. I continued to hunt up the beach with my CZ-20
toward the northern area that I had marked on the map. It wasn't very long after I reached the area I turned up the first ring. The 10K wedding band with little diamonds in it.

Since you can dowse google maps, can you dowse the Forrest Fenn treasure?

It's worth over one million dollars, lot's of gold in the box.

We can go get the treasure, I'll help carry it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread