Finding depth.

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Whites TM 808, Canon 350D EOS Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
All treasure has a signal that comes to the surface ar a 45 degree angle. With the rods crossed move away from the target. When the rods open mark the spot. Then inch along some more. When the rods close mark that spot. The distance between the spots is the depth
Depth.gif

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
I had a piece of steel 2 foot square from a welding job. I buried it 2 foot deep. That let me practice on how big my target was and what it’s depth was. I determined that two foot was when my rod tips were about 1 ½ inches apart

OP
OP
lesjcbs

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Whites TM 808, Canon 350D EOS Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All treasure has a signal that comes to the surface ar a 45 degree angle. With the rods crossed move away from the target. When the rods open mark the spot. Then inch along some more. When the rods close mark that spot. The distance between the spots is the depth
View attachment 1223151
Thanks Aart. I will practice this method. I too have targets buried at 1 ft, 2 ft, and 2 1/2 ft I can practice on.

Les.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Hey Les. There are other ways to determine depth. My methods are design for my use of physical dowsing. I am not very good at mental dowsing

OP
OP
lesjcbs

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Les. There are other ways to determine depth. My methods are design for my use of physical dowsing. I am not very good at mental dowsing
OK, could you explain further? Who knows, I might be able to use something you suggest. Thanks. Les.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
OK, could you explain further? Who knows, I might be able to use something you suggest. Thanks. Les.
I hope someone will help.. I have tried a lot of methods with not a lot of luck

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, for me on a large object such as a septic tank or small wash placer deposit....the edge when directly over has a certain parallel response of rods pointing from opposite directions. 1-2 more steps as you cross over edge, they uncross to a V. The V response is after you leave the edge. I suppose the depth could be calculated by distance away from object as the V response is beyond the edge, then walk more and signal is gone. One dowsing video I watched once, the dowser marked each of the spots (over, the edge, beyond) then turned around to find the depth using something similar to what Art described.

There was an old dowser in my state who used a could down method. You simply count down 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, (feet, yards, meters) until the response comes, for me the rods will uncross at the depth answer. This last method might be to hard for most on the forum here.

Attachments

• Figure _K1BW.jpg
    Figure _K1BW.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Well, for me on a large object such as a septic tank or small wash placer deposit....the edge when directly over has a certain parallel response of rods pointing from opposite directions.
That is the same for caves. The vee responses will continue as you follow the cave

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
V response for me looks like this. If I'm walking along where no signal response was found and then my rods suddenly go into the V response, generally I'm going to take that to mean "within proximity of a target". Your hiking gps has a proximity beep.....a V response can be the same way.

Attachments

• Figure _E1BW.jpg
    Figure _E1BW.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 1,435
Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But if you stop walking, then a small step to the right (or lean as moving rods to the right).....for me a response looks like below.

Attachments

• Figure _G.jpg
    Figure _G.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moving back left again, I've had my rods cross this way to pinpoint the line of field or location of the object in front of me. Once I start walking it will change back to the V response.

Attachments

• Figure _H.jpg
    Figure _H.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 1,435

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stepping back and forth to the left and right, for me seems to locate both sides on larger targets. These are my responses. Crossed where I had the V response, then a small step or even leaning to the left and right.

Of course, here referring to a target your rods already crossed over, then marked the spot (left the spot to find edge) past, now turning around and coming back to find the corona edge as Art mentioned. If you want the width of the target, check while the object is still in front (not over it). simply put, stop walking and move or lean right a little until right rod is pointing to side of target. Move back rods might cross before walking again (crossed response shows the line of field). To find the corona edge (as Art called it) for me, I would expect a crossed rod response.

Attachments

• rods_1a.jpg
    rods_1a.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 1,353
  • rods_1e.jpg
    rods_1e.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 1,319
  • rods_1ex.jpg
    rods_1ex.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 1,520
Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't mark the spot your rods crossed over, the target location then leave it to find the depth. Returnig back again with V response, missing the spot since it wasn't marked, might give a spinning rod response....because of passing by the signal. Other rod points to your target.

Attachments

• Figure _D3BW.jpg
    Figure _D3BW.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 184

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1223151

I sure could have used that information 40+ years ago. :stickynote:
Marvin

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ask and it will cross at the proper depth. However doing papper money I am off it crosses at the wrong spot, 12 ft circle. Ill keep trying on it maybe it will work out,

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When dowsing with L-Rods in the field, how do you determine the depth of a target after your rods cross / swing etc?
Another way to practice depthing is if you have a staircase. Measure the height of a stair. Let's say it's 8 inches.
Without you watching, have your helper place an object on one of the stairs with white pieces of paper on each stair covering the object.
Stand at top of stairs and ask the rods/pendulum "Is the concealed object in front of me at least 8 inches beneath my feet?", 24 inches?"... ect until you get a yes response from your instrument.
Now take this concept out in the field when determining depth and rearrange the dowsing question based on your situation.
Hope this helps,
Jon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread