Legends

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
I have found that most Legends are true. The facts may have been changed over the years. Names of places have changed. Years ago places were named by people living in that area. Creeks and streams had the name of people who’s property they were on. I have followed a lot of legends where the treasure was miles from where everyone thought they were located. One was 60 miles from where everyone had been looking for it....Art

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Agree with you 100% Legends vary, but there is generally truth in all of them. I have followed a couple with not much luck. Once when deer hunting(1960's), I came upon what to me looked like rebar not rusted, but brownish black metal rebar. There was lots of it. I kicked at it, threw a couple around and saw how shiny it was when scraped. I went on my hunt, leaving it. Ten or so years later, I was reading about silver mining in the Texas hills and how some anglo guy and his pard. had used cane to pour molten silver into. Well, snap, the cane had rotted away, the silver had tarnished and I had been playing with it. Since I hunted far and wide, no matter how much I thought about it, I can never recall where I was. But reading the legend, every marker was there. The smelter, the creek, the high hill about a mile away. Oh well, another fortune gone...

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
In my younger years I spent a lot of time in the Sierra Nevada mountains hunting, fishing and riding dirt bikes. I saw many things that looked out of place. In the 80’s I became a gold prospector. I got some geology books and there were some pictures of the features I had saw. I could not remember where these features were...Art

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend back in the 80's told me of a trip he made to an old home place with an older gentleman that knew where certain marks were, A tree to be exact. The story was hinged on money being buried there, BUT, at the place the tree was not to be found in the area where they looked. My friend said he went back a month later and actually found the tree in question except NOW it was only a stump and the older man was off by about 75 to 100 feet.
Memories do fade after just casual looking.
Good thread Art.
elh

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
I just hope that people who want a map Dowsed would tell us what they think is there. It makes a difference just how the questions are ask. ..Art

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
The first legend I followed

I was invited to an 85th birthday party for a fellow worker. I had worked with him back in the 60’s and 70’s. His son was telling me some of his family history. His great grand parents had come from Prussia and had died on the way to Sacramento. But their four children had survived. He told me how they had buried their live savings and given the map to the children because they didn’t trust the people in the wagon train.
He had been looking for the treasure for twenty years and was no closer to finding it than when he started. He showed me a copy of the map and there was only three reference points on it. One was a meadow with the wagon trail going through it. The second was a stream that ran out of the meadow and ran to a pond with an x by three drawn rocks. One was round, the center one was oval with one side at an angle and the third looked like the center rock but in reverse like maybe at one time they were one rock.
What caught my attention was a notation below the pond. It said that the stream went underground. I knew this had to be a translation and could mean a lot of different things I told him about a stream I had fished when I was a kid. It was in the general area and about two miles of it ran under large slabs of shale. I remember catching Black Trout in the openings between the slabs of shale.
We took a weekend last summer and found the stream. You remember when you were young distance didn’t mean as much as you never got tried. We were miles away from where we started. The stream is one of those no name blue lines on the maps. He spent part of this summer researching the wagon trails above.
Up on top where the wagons all came over the summit there is ruts wore in the granite that are still visible today. After they came over the summit there is a lot of routes that could be taken. He soon found that the Official Trail did not go to our stream. He then had two of his grandsons walk up the stream (a long steep rocky climb) until they got to the spring and take a GPS reading. They found no pond on the way up or down.
He called me in September and said he had permission to camp on the ranch so we sat up a base camp.
Two weeks ago we took his Quads up and programmed our GPS and went three and a half miles to the spring. We went down stream for about ½ mile and the stream went under the slate rocks. I looked back up stream and thought to my self that if I were a Beaver this would be a good place to build a dam.
I checked for gold signals and followed the signal and there was the three BOULDERS obscured by the brush. I also had a silver signal to the same spot.
It was buried between three and four feet deep so we decided to let the kids dig the hole some other time.
The Family went up last week and found the remains of an iron box, a few pieces of silver jewelry and $75. They are a happy bunch of people.
What is amazing to me is how fate can bring two pieces of information together. I wish my other project was this easy because I have close to a hundred hours in it and don’t know what the results will be.

Arthur

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread