Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to TreasureNet !![FONT=crimson_textroman] Are you referring to the mission at Los Adaes founded by Domingo Ramon in[/FONT][FONT=crimson_textroman] 1717 but abandoned in 1719 when threatened by the French? If not, what is the name of the mission you seek?
Don.......[/FONT]

OP
OP
S

Sabine

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your time guys,...but historical documents state that the site was in the vacuity that is captured by this pic. I am actually trying to pin point it. Thanks again for your time though.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Can you answer my questions in post #3?
Since you know the exact location of the area, have you inquired in the local (town and county) libraries (reference department) for the answer; or you could seek out the local historian (through the reference desk at either the town or county library) and ask that person for assistance.
Don......

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
What is interesting to me is how much history is not recorded. I know of a place on highway 50 where there will be no record when the people that knew it are dead. It was a small store and bar. It has been gone for years. It was named Fred’s Place. It will always be Fred’s Place to me. I know of many more landmarks that have disappeared from history...Art

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Check with UT special collections and also the Texas Highway Dept. I had a publication from the two that traced El camino Real from Mission San Juan Bautista to the missions in East Texas. Joaquin ? was in charge. Gave all my papers to UT San Antonio last year and that was included. Cannot remember Joaquin's last name, but all mission sites have been found and identified. Joaquin McGraw, that's the guy. Thick book of maps and locations...

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
aarthrj3811
You mean this place?

Miler Marker 36
This is where Fred's Place was, the site of a resort and roadhouse after the curve east (closer to Tahoe) of the 5,000-foot elevation sign on Highway 50. Anna and Fred Scriggs opened the resort in 1918 on land leased from Eldorado National Forest. Fred's Place closed in 1965.
Don.....

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
"From the Kyburz trailhead the trail heads east for 5.5 miles to reach the Wrights Lake Road. This section parallels the highway and sneaks through the Eagle Rock area of cabins, named for the mountain peak, visible at the 2 mile point, where eagles have been observed nesting. Another mile along, the trail intercepts a dirt road that leads down to “Fred’s Place,” once a road station, now just a memory. Then, after another mile and a half, the express trail brings you to Wright’s road (paved)."
Source:
https://getoffyourgass.com/pony-express-trail/
Don......

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
One of times I was there we had towed a two wheel drive for many miles. We had went to the lake in the morning when the roads were froze. After it thawed it was real sloppy. The other truck could not get out so they bought us a beer when we got to Freds Place.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From my file of definitions.
"Red circle is to mark areas, of loose or surface coins/treasure and artifacts of value, down to 1-2 feet deep.
Red line box (or solid filled circles) for very deep coins/treasure or artifacts of value."

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    38.6 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From my file of definitions.
"Green line box (or solid filled circles) for various other targets, mostly archaeological such as old ruins or foundations but especially non-metallic objects like flint arrowheads, bottles, pottery, and carved stone markers."

Attachments

• image- Sabine.jpeg
    image- Sabine.jpeg
    37.9 KB · Views: 76

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Since the OP has not answered my Q in post 3, I'll move on to Art's comments about Fred's Place:
Fred's Place was built in 1918 by Anna and Fred Spriggs at the site of the historic Champlain House, above the 36 milestone. Their store, inn, restaurant and gas station also offered swimming in the cool waters of the pond near an early bridge over the creek. (Think of the metal detecting opportunity!!). Severely damaged by the creek's flooding in 1964, Fred's Place was dismantled. Improvements are still there, but today it is now a California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) storage area for sand and gravel.
Don....

OP
OP
S

Sabine

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don,....the answer to your question is NO!!! This mission was Nuestra Señora de los Dolores de los Ais.

OP
OP
S

Sabine

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for helping me out,...I will post any future results!!!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here's another clue:
[FONT=crimson_textroman]When Mission Dolores was reestablished in August 1722, Father [/FONT]Antonio Margil de Jesús[FONT=crimson_textroman] moved it one-fourth league east of the previous site; the new location was elevated and near a stream and a large tract of level land that could be used for cultivation. Recent research has located the site on a hill next to Ayish Bayou within the present city limits of San Augustine.
Don.......[/FONT]

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here's another clue: Dolores was a stop on the El Camino de los Tejas, and that trail is now the National Historic Trail of the same name. No doubt the staff at the National Trails Intermountain Region (1100 Old Santa Fe Trail, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505 Phone: 505-988-6098 Fax: 505-986-5214) might be able to assist you further.
Don......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread