Map dowsing with chambered pendulums?

Red Fox 4

Mar 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
So I'm back to treasure hunting and I bought a very nice brass pendulum for pretty cheap that even has a chamber (which is what I have always wanted) and I had also purchased a gold sample that is even native from my own state. I guess my question is this: I'm going to start adjusting myself to the Au frequency through trial and error and then map dowse an area that I have been considering after I get attuned. What is the word on using gold samples for map dowsing? I know that it's great for in the field but what about sitting at your desk going over a map, does it really even matter? Is one's accuracy with a sample in the case of map dowsing increased or would it be the same as if you had just used the rods or the pendulum on the map with no sample?

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not take it out to the local gold fields first, walk around a while to get responses? The ground is better than a map, but you would need to do some sampling in a pan also.

OP
OP
Red Fox 4

Red Fox 4

Mar 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you RD Okie mentioned that I could also plant part of my sample in the back yard and let the pendulum do it's work in regard to field practice which I believe is also somewhat along the lines of what you are explaining to me as-well. Yes I will do this but my main concern at this point is with the map dowsing part of the operation: lets say I am using quadrants to dowse a printed out map, if I use a gold sample in the pendulum for my yes and no answers while doing those quadrants would I get a more accurate response than if I had not? Or lets say that I am using the rod and a ruler, would a sample on the rod be more effective than without it (not for field but on map)?

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Map dowsing is more of a decision, before starting as to what you need to locate. After a signal is picked up, then trying to ID the target, while your pendulum is still responding to it.

In the field using L-rods is much the same way (deciding what to search for) then picking up a signal and get a feel for what your target is going to be. The target after checking the signal, is not always going to be what you expected.

Last edited:

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Whites and cheep bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I may , I would not put any samples in the pendulum , my belief is a confusion on the pendulum .
It's only my thought , I have never used a sample that way . You could introduce the sample to the pendulum and then move the sample away from the map you are going to use .

OP
OP
Red Fox 4

Red Fox 4

Mar 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Alright , thank you everyone for the dowsing info: RD, Okie, you too jair. I will go empty for the map part of it and loaded for the field work. Man o man it's going to be so much fun out there now that I have a shiny new pendulum and a sample to work with. I was considering investing in an antique (but working) garret deepseeker if I don't find the cache the first time out. My thoughts are why spend $2000 on a brand new one when I can spend $150 for an older one that does the very same job and I have also read that the antique deepseekers can go to amazing depths.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use my two oval organs. I dangle them over the map first, and get a strong sense of where I need to go. When I arrive in the area my pre-dangle locating method has indicated, I take off my pants and get right to work! By the time I'm ready to dig, I've carefully dangled my oval organs over every sensed or imagined hot spot, and moved them slowly back and forth to pinpoint the target real good.

Interestingly, my two oval organs come chambered as well. :occasion14:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my two oval organs. I dangle them over the map first, and get a strong sense of where I need to go. When I arrive in the area my pre-dangle locating method has indicated, I take off my pants and get right to work! By the time I'm ready to dig, I've carefully dangled my oval organs over every sensed or imagined hot spot, and moved them slowly back and forth to pinpoint the target real good.

Interestingly, my two oval organs come chambered as well. :occasion14:
So Terry that was you........ And to think we all thought it was a drunk transient trying to find his bottle opener...... Just gotta ask! Can you pin point better than in the head?:tongue3::tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread