My today's dowsing finds.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hi , How many lives of our brave troops in the middle east been saved from I.E.Ds using dowsing rods? Tp

I believe some military of the world, have experimented in times past with this. The russians (who are fond of studying psychic stuff in official govt. studies). And perhaps even the USA. Heck, beats the heck out of stepping on a land-mine after all ! Eh ? And if I'm not mistaken , it ended up being nothing more than random chance.

However, the proponents will say that any study like these, is non-conclusive. And can not be used to say "it doesn't work". Because they will say that those persons testing it "did not have the gift". Or "didn't practice long enough", etc....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I gave Lesjcbs the suggestion that a coin or aluminum wad was is "bound to exist in any random 5 ft. circle of an urban park". And asked if he'd picks spots at random, to test that theory. I don't see that he's accepted this test of "more plausible explanation".

So Lesjcbs, I will conduct the test, if you allow me. And report back to the forum. I will go to our City's "Central park" in Salinas , CA. It's typical of any typical town's mid-center old town park. Dates to the turn of century. Surrounded by residential suburbia.

I will have an un-biased 3rd party person (who won't be told the reason for my request) to pick "Five spots at random on the turf.". Then I will go to those 5 spots, trace out a 5 ft. diameter circle. Then metal detect it to see if there's any A) aluminum wads, or B) coins (since those are the two type objects of your O.P.).

Are you ok with this Lesjcbs ? Or will the results merely be dismissed ?

OP
OP
lesjcbs

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Whites TM 808, Canon 350D EOS Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom:

You are 100% wrong by saying things do not give off energies. Everything does, and that has been known for a long time. Take a look. Everything Emits Radiation?Even You | DiscoverMagazine.com There are many more web sites that say the same thing.

I hope you don't trouble yourself too much over this.

BTW, the first cardinal rule in any treasure hunting is to go where treasure is, not where it is not as it is not there. That would be foolish. City parks and the like have coins in them. Coins are not floating out on top of the pacific ocean.

I never claimed my dowsing rods turn by themselves. They don't. If they did, it would be like saying knives, forks, and spoons make people fat.

Stay tuned. More dowsing finds coming.

Last edited:

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe some military of the world, have experimented in times past with this. The russians (who are fond of studying psychic stuff in official govt. studies). And perhaps even the USA. Heck, beats the heck out of stepping on a land-mine after all ! Eh ? And if I'm not mistaken , it ended up being nothing more than random chance.

However, the proponents will say that any study like these, is non-conclusive. And can not be used to say "it doesn't work". Because they will say that those persons testing it "did not have the gift". Or "didn't practice long enough", etc....

So the answer to my question is NONE TP

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
So the answer to my question is NONE TP

Actually, there has been a claim floating around in dowsing circles for years , that during the Vietnam war, supposedly dowsing was, in fact, used to find enemy tunnels and landmines. Whether that's true or not, I don't know. And whether or not there isn't a "more plausible explanation" for any examples that could be cited, I don't know.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.....You are 100% wrong by saying things do not give off energies. Everything does, and that has been known for a long time. Take a look. Everything Emits Radiation?Even You | DiscoverMagazine.com There are many more web sites that say the same thing.....

Yes I am familiar with this line of reasoning. And yes it's appealed to by dowsing proponents. However, perhaps you're not aware of the come-back counter line of logic by skeptics:

That any magnetic pull (or "radiation" or "signal" or "attraction") that someone can muse, is simply COUNTER-ACTED by other much stronger forces: Gravity. To test the theory, try this test: Take your dowsing rod and hold it in one hand. Then take off your shoes and Drop a 10 lb. bowling ball right above your bare feet. Does the bowling ball move towards your rod ? Or towards your feet ? Let us know how the test of "attraction" goes.

OP
OP
lesjcbs

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Whites TM 808, Canon 350D EOS Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom:

It is was also logical that because man was not born with wings, he was never meant to fly into the air, much less go to the moon.

I live in a small country town. As of 2016, the Population was 1,300. The city Salinas you live in had a population of right at 150,000. Our park has 354,727.33 sq feet. Central park in Salinas Ca is slightly smaller at 352,378.27 sq feet.

The ratio of people in your park square footage is 1 person to every 2.263 sq.foot (1 /2 sq ft) In my town, the ratio is 1 person to every 272.866 square foot area (1 / 272 sq ft).

1 to 2 is a much greater denser traffic factor than 1 person to every 272 sq feet. In other words, it is no wonder or surprise you can and will find stuff in almost every spot while I have to search harder to find something, even using only my metal detector.

In my city park, I have done just what you proposed to do and found many spots bare of any metal.

Pictured here is what I found today (March 30, 2017). I made three dowsing shots. The first one I verified a hit with my metal detector but could not find it, even with my ice pick. My third was the same results. Perhaps the targets were deep enough that my ice pick could not reach them. I was not about to break out my shovel and dig a hole in a park lawn.

My second shot turned up this piece of plastic with a small metal stud at the top.

Enjoy your logic as it is lacking.

More dowsing finds coming soon.

Attachments

• S5300656.JPG
    S5300656.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

Silverseeker

Nov 25, 2004
Indian Wells Valley, CA
Interesting read on this topic. When I was a kid, I saw this stuff on TV and tried it with bent pieces of bailing wire. When they crossed, I'd convince myself that something metal was under me. Like "this is where the sewer pipe is" or "I think the septic tank is here" or .... well you get the picture. I never found anything, but I think that was the beginning of my hobby. More than 10 years before I bought a detector.

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't know which I like best, dowsing topics or treasure rock signs...we definitely need more people tossing their detectors and getting into these. ;)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Lesjcbs: No one can accuse you of not doing your homework. And not rising-to-the-occasion of answering tough questions. And yours is a breath of fresh air for also posting results on "finds" forums. Albeit humble, yet .... at least posted along side conventional metal detector show & tell finds. That answered my challenge of "if it works so good, why don't see their show & tell, like md'rs routinely do?"

I see you even did your homework on my "more plausible challenge". By comparing odds at one park versus another. To be fair, we'd have to also include the "total park space" per capita (because Central park is not the ONLY park in our town. There are dozens of others). So the fact of higher population here, is simply off-set by more (other) parks.

But even assuming we boiled it down to reflect exact demographics of age-of-park, population vs square footage of park, and so forth : I have a feeling that the same results would occur: That similar results could be obtained without any rods at all. Also , to be double blind, we'd have to also include the "dry runs" you might have had. What I mean is: You say you did try picking a spot at random (no rods) and found it to be sterile. But to be fair, you'd have to include if you ever also got the rods to cross, and found nothing.

Or to be honest and say that ...if the rods crossed, you're subconsciously going to "be looking 2x as hard" to find ANYTHING. Versus a blind stab spot you might be lack-luster in your effort. That sort of "bias" is where double-blind 3rd parties come into play , and various safeguards have to be in place. If I were in your state, I'd love to see if there's any increase in odds, versus landing on a spot (chosen by randomly throwing a tennis ball into the air) and finding it to be sterile.

But I do credit you with answering my question that you HAVE tried to see if your own methods have "more plausible" explanations. Thanx for getting back to us.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, there has been a claim floating around in dowsing circles for years , that during the Vietnam war, supposedly dowsing was, in fact, used to find enemy tunnels and landmines. Whether that's true or not, I don't know. And whether or not there isn't a "more plausible explanation" for any examples that could be cited, I don't know.
Many of the tunnels had electrical wiring for lights and those can be located by dousing, I can't speak about land mines.

January 20, 2017 A New Beginning!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Many of the tunnels had electrical wiring for lights and those can be located by dousing, ....

This might be inclined to lead someone to believe that the electricity running through the lines had something to do with it. Versus metal with no electricity running through it would therefore not have the same set of factors. Eh ? But I have never yet met a dowser yet , who would say that it works "only for electrical lines". They will invariably say it works for a myriad of other things: Gold , silver, water, etc.... (even paper money, gems, etc...?).

So with that understanding out on the table, I don't see how someone *couldn't* find landmines .

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It works for electrical, fiber optic, (optic lines have metal wire for tracing) gas lines and water lines, it doesn't matter if they are energized or have water or gas in them, I have doused all including abandoned lines with no electric or water in them.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

So in each example you give , they are all "lines". And that it's a moot point what runs inside of them.

Ok, then are you saying it only works for things in "lines" ? Versus solitary objects (caches, individual coins, etc....) that sit all alone ? If the item need not be "in a line", and if it works for "solo standing individual metal objects", then it ought to find land-mines then.

In fact, then in that case, whether or not the Vietnam tunnels were found via the fact of electrical lines, should have been a moot point. If dowsing also finds solo-standing objects, then "line or not" wouldn't have mattered, eh? They could dowse for voids (as some have claimed is possible). Or the guns and other metal objects the enemy no doubt had down in their tunnels, eh ?

Or are you saying it only works for objects laid out in a "line" ?

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lines, pipes, conduit all the same...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lines, pipes and conduits can be empty, nothing in them but air.

we have already discussed this in the past, all I said was it was and is possible to douse a tunnel if there are electrical or pipes in them, never said anything about guns or voids.

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What ? The treasure-finding tennis shoe didn't work ?? But you only tried it "3 times". So it's not that the tennis shoe treasure-finder doesn't work, it simply means you need more practice. Try it 10 times. If it still doesn't work, that doesn't prove anything. It simply means you didn't practice long enough. Thus 20 times. Then 40. Then 100, etc... At no time does my tennis shoe device ever "not work". It will always be that the user "needs more practice" and "shouldn't be so negative" :)
Hey Tommy, tried some more with your treasure finding tennis shoe finder technique. Your tennis shoe treasure finder stinks! My neighbor that was watching me came over to introduce himself. I felt like joking so I told him my name was Tom. He asked me where I was from and I said northern Calif. up around Marin. He replies "Oh one of those." I asked him if he thought I was a tree hugger. His reply, "No worse! One of those skeptical club guys.........." As he walked away shaking his head. Now he won't look at or acknowledge me. Now all I have to do is let him know I was only joking & I'm really normal........

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hey Tommy, tried some more with your treasure finding tennis shoe finder technique. Your tennis shoe treasure finder stinks! My neighbor that was watching me came over to introduce himself. I felt like joking so I told him my name was Tom. He asked me where I was from and I said northern Calif. up around Marin. He replies "Oh one of those." I asked him if he thought I was a tree hugger. His reply, "No worse! One of those skeptical club guys.........." As he walked away shaking his head. Now he won't look at or acknowledge me. Now all I have to do is let him know I was only joking & I'm really normal........

Haha boogeyman. When I put this analogy out there, it is with the expectation that OF COURSE no one's going to believe it can find treasure. Thus OF COURSE no one is going to try it. And then I can quickly point out this failure-to-try violates all the explanation lines given by dowsers.

However, you have foiled me. Because you DID IN FACT "try it". So the only retort I can give you now, is that:

a) You didn't practice long enough.

b) You were operating it wrong.

c) durned those sun spots anyhow.

d) you don't have the gift.

haha

OP
OP
lesjcbs

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to an old foot ball field in a near by town that has not been used since the late 1970's. The grass was shin to knee high tall and very wet from last nights rain. I found a bare muddy spot and dowsed there. Pictured is the stud I found. It was buried about 1” below the surface. Not much of a find for sure but if dowsing does not work, then I should not have found it, but, I did. The moist ground made it easy to dig out.

Question for the skeptics. You have claimed that dowsers are trained to look at flat ground and tell where a buried coin is with their naked eyes. I certainly don't know how that is done or what to look for. Does anyone know how the ground, with grass growing on it would look like where a coin is buried?

Stay tuned. More dowsing finds coming.
:hello2:

Attachments

• S5300653.JPG
    S5300653.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread