Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, that is your video? Looks similar to one I've watched before, but can't be for you've posted that only recently.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D
Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Time to move on. Good luck everyone .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Red desert thats my video, and i had posted it before. I had another dowsing video at another site but i cant find it. But here is a couple of still photos. Iam dowsing what i believe to be a plugged hole at a cache. When i get to the plug the rods cross. View attachment 1452891 View attachment 1452892

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen one of those plugged Spanish holes once, but only was a photo in a prospecting magazine. Did you ever see Jill's Donkey Prospector articles in GPAA magazine? Well, she helped her friend Texas Jack (think it was his name) by hauling planks and rebar up the mountains to his cache site in NM. Keeping rock rubble from filling their hole using rebar/planks. A flat rock slab covering was removed except the hole looked empty. So, Jack got his pendulum out, which he kept saying, "dang thing still says there is treasure down in there" kind of mumbling. Finally, Jack went down with headlamp, hammer, pry bar gear. Jack comes back up smiling holding what appears to be a crude smelted Spanish bar. In the photo it looked like gold, no assay had been done yet at this point (excited Jack published the story first).

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like some neat rock carvings in the photo.

OP
OP
D
Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen one of those plugged Spanish holes once, but only was a photo in a prospecting magazine. Did you ever see Jill's Donkey Prospector articles in GPAA magazine? Well, she helped her friend Texas Jack (think it was his name) by hauling planks and rebar up the mountains to his cache site in NM. Keeping rock rubble from filling their hole using rebar/planks. A flat rock slab covering was removed except the hole looked empty. So, Jack got his pendulum out, which he kept saying, "dang thing still says there is treasure down in there" kind of mumbling. Finally, Jack went down with headlamp, hammer, pry bar gear. Jack comes back up smiling holding what appears to be a crude smelted Spanish bar. In the photo it looked like gold, no assay had been done yet at this point (excited Jack published the story first).

Wow Red desert,thanks for that info. I have been looking online to find that article. Thanks again for the info.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the magazine with the article somewhere, it was high up on the mountain...probably to avoid flash flooding. The open area also had rock outcrops encircled half or 2/3 of the way around it. On the side of one rock outcrop, the turtle carving, the right front leg extended to point directly at the hole. Hard to say how deep they found the flat rock lid, me guessing I'd say probably 3-4 feet down. Then the hole reminded me of a small pocket mine shaft, deep enough for Texas Jack to disappear into, no metal detector of the concentric coil type is going to reach the bottom. The batteries of Jack's expensive Minelab had leaked out that day, so a ruined detector is worthless in this type of situation.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an example of being safety conscience. When searching pits, caves, digging pits, etc, always have a partner.
Marvin

OP
OP
D
Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the magazine with the article somewhere, it was high up on the mountain...probably to avoid flash flooding. The open area also had rock outcrops encircled half or 2/3 of the way around it. On the side of one rock outcrop, the turtle carving, the right front leg extended to point directly at the hole. Hard to say how deep they found the flat rock lid, me guessing I'd say probably 3-4 feet down. Then the hole reminded me of a small pocket mine shaft, deep enough for Texas Jack to disappear into, no metal detector of the concentric coil type is going to reach the bottom. The batteries of Jack's expensive Minelab had leaked out that day, so a ruined detector is worthless in this type of situation.

Thanks again Red desert, thats some valuable info. to me.:icon_thumright:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again Red desert, thats some valuable info. to me.:icon_thumright:
Yes, there are still caches on Spanish sites, too deep for any standard metal detector to reach.

msimmons

Jun 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Dog, I took a look at it and I am getting that it is just raw gold behind that rock. It does have a magnetic field that is the reason your rods are crossing so good on it. I also sent it to my mentor who has taught me how to dowse and he verified the same thing. It would not hold up to any type of weight on a check of how much is there. We think its just a small amount of raw less than a ounce. Let me know how it comes out if you move the rock. Thanks and I wish I had better news for you.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try checking the surrounding area for any death trap signals.

OP
OP
D
Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, there are still caches on Spanish sites, too deep for any standard metal detector to reach.

Thanks Red desert, Id say i have to agree. I tried with my metal detector,no hits. I have already dug beyond its range. Yep, i think most of it is deep.

OP
OP
D
Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dog, I took a look at it and I am getting that it is just raw gold behind that rock. It does have a magnetic field that is the reason your rods are crossing so good on it. I also sent it to my mentor who has taught me how to dowse and he verified the same thing. It would not hold up to any type of weight on a check of how much is there. We think its just a small amount of raw less than a ounce. Let me know how it comes out if you move the rock. Thanks and I wish I had better news for you.

Thanks msimmons for taking the time and extra effort to get more info. for me. I had stopped working that site,because the pick was just bouncing off the caliche that's packed around the sides. It has a lot of pressure on it. Its like two wedges driven in on both sides . But i got a solution for it now. I just haven't made it back there yet to work it more. I have been working another site. But when i get it open ill post some photos. When i was using the rods,i was focused on,is this a plugged opening.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D
Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iam gonna do a dowsing video at a multiple turtle set up. This site has a very strong pull from a good distance away. The rods really come alive, very fast movement when you get over it, and when you get past it the rods snap right back ,guiding back to the spot. A really strong and fast acting site. I haven't experienced anything like it. I just wonder if it a multiple metal set up,like gold,silver, Iron? I didn't dig this one,because i thought it so strong,it must be super deep. Maybe i thought wrong,maybe its large and shallow? Maybe they had to boogie out of there quick? When i get the video made ill post it.

OP
OP
D
Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a video of the plug, you will see a shadow of a black dog looking right at the plug, and you can see the cut stone that's making the black dog pointing right at the plug also. I know there's a lot of people that say no way,they never do that. But where i hunt, i have found that they surely do. Maybe not all sites,but i have found more than one. That's why it was great for me to hear Red desert tell the story about the turtle leg pointing out the plug.:icon_thumright:

msimmons

Jun 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Dog, You are welcome and I hope that I am wrong on it. Could you post a pic of this new location. I will take a look at it, and see what I am getting and get my mentor to take a look for you too. Thanks

Barton

Apr 21, 2005
Abiquiu, NM
Detector(s) used
What ever is needed for the project I am working on--I am a cache hunter
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I enjoyed your video---I have seen the identical rock at my site that created your black dog;
just a question though: Is it a black dog ? Or a Shark ? At least to me he has a dorsal fin
/ like a shark on the top of the shadow.

You did NOT mention it --but to you I am sure it is obvious--you have a beautiful large heart
in the center of your photo.

At least to me--if you do another video--remove the tools or lay them down on dirt ( so they are not creating shadows ) and I like a view covering at least a 10 foot circle so one can see if there are other
Spanish Markers there --so a person learning can see what markers can be adjacent to a dig spot.

I believe your earlier photo--with a duck, a turtle, eagle / owl, smiling man pointing---was really outstanding!

I hope what you find while prospecting put's a giant smile on your face!

OP
OP
D
Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turtle cache set up video . You can see the one line straight middle of camera shot, to bulls eye stone,you can see the line, your looking apoxx. NE.. I move from east to west. You will see when i cross the line, my hands move forward, cause the rods ends spin to my face. my r8ght heel at the end is right on it. North / South line.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread