Open minded skeptic dowsing virgin

Nano

Mar 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello. Firstly I am not a believer in dowsing.But as I am wrong 50% of the time about most things,I don't have much to lose by trying. So.
Experienced dowsers. What do I need for an entry into the dowsing path of experimentation? Any stick or coathanger? I find it all a
bit unbelievable because it doesn't make sense to me. I can get my head around physically dowsing an area,but dowsing a map which is just a piece of paper is just too far out there for my head to accept any other explanation than subconscious movement. I am a skeptic but willing to give it a go.
Recently my best finds have not been with my detector or by sluice.But by being drawn to a specific spot because it is calling to me. Weird feelings that I just went along with and followed.Still a skeptic,but I will often go along with weirdness to see where it goes. I have only ever found things by following the weirdness. So advice for a newb please.Thanks for your time.

dowser

Jul 13, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MINELAB 2100, L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to learn to Dowse, learn on Silver. Buy a couple wore out, pure Silver ounce coins at a coin shop. Cut steel hanger, bend into U-shape, Dowse between the two Silver coins. If you see and feel a reaction in your l-rods while you cross between the coins, you are a Treasure Dowser. If you don't feel or see any reaction, it's because Dowsing power is off or too weak for Dowsing.

dowser

Jul 13, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MINELAB 2100, L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to learn to Dowse, learn on Silver. Buy a couple wore out, pure Silver ounce coins at a coin shop. Cut steel hanger, bend into U-shape, Dowse between the two Silver coins. If you see and feel a reaction in your l-rods while you cross between the coins, you are a Treasure Dowser. If you don't feel or see any reaction, it's because Dowsing power is off or too weak for Dowsing.

L shape not U shape

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might be able to explain your feeling of being called to as using the large percent of our brains the scientists say we don't use. Try as hard as it is to keep an open mind & don't hold any great expectations. To me when I go at it with some expectation it just muddies everything up. Part of that came from working with a guy that got really strong actions with his rods. I expected to get results as strong. I didn't, but I've learned some peoples responses are slower and gentler. Go at it with an open mind and no preconceived expectations and you should do well. Skepticism is ok as long as you keep exploring. Don't let it give you tunnel vision! Good luck! And let us know how you're doing!

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"But by being drawn to a specific spot because it is calling to me"

Let me tell you a story from a newspaper, it happened along a road I took each night to work a night shift. I had stayed about 6 months with some 2nd cousins of mine, for a winter in east LA. This happened before the war in 1991, so must of been the year 1989. Somewhere around Rancho Cucamongo, a Chinese person owned property and buried these chests of gold coins.

A local loser, who gambled all his money away on the California Lotto, decided to commit suicide in a vacant lot. Little did he realize, this field contained chests of gold coins. So, the guy walks around with a shovel, thinking he will save others from paying his burial expense. Finally the shovel point is stuck in the ground, at the choosen location. To make a long story short, the loser got lucky and dug up a chest full of gold coins. He broke a finger trying to get the chest open.

I believe it was shovel dowsing by accident, rather than random chance.

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello. Firstly I am not a believer in dowsing.But as I am wrong 50% of the time about most things,I don't have much to lose by trying. So.
Experienced dowsers. What do I need for an entry into the dowsing path of experimentation? Any stick or coathanger? I find it all a
bit unbelievable because it doesn't make sense to me. I can get my head around physically dowsing an area,but dowsing a map which is just a piece of paper is just too far out there for my head to accept any other explanation than subconscious movement. I am a skeptic but willing to give it a go.
Recently my best finds have not been with my detector or by sluice.But by being drawn to a specific spot because it is calling to me. Weird feelings that I just went along with and followed.Still a skeptic,but I will often go along with weirdness to see where it goes. I have only ever found things by following the weirdness. So advice for a newb please.Thanks for your time.

First off, learning to dowse takes more time than most rational people are willing to give.

Secondly, learning some form of meditation is essential. It doesn't have to be formal, just something as "simple" as yoga breath. You will never get it until you can do the meditation. Most books say don't expect results for at least eight weeks. This step is where 99.99% skip over.

That's enough to keep you busy for a while.

Remember the whole thing about it is to keep your consciousness out of the way. You can't watch what is happening. You can't peek at it. You can't have your cake and eat it, too. You can't chew gum and walk at the same time. You might be able to cheat on your golf game but it don't work for dowsing. LOL "Seek the truth" is impossible for some people. That's why many people do better near the sleeping hours. Middle of the day it is very hard to shut your consciousness down. The bright light has an overwhelming effect. One thing you can try is to pick out an object and put your eyes focus on it. Whatever your instrument, just keep it in your peripheral vision. Don't worry, when it responds, you will know. Many people put a hard gaze on the instrument. Bad.

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My post might sound like discouraging words. Wasn't meant to be. But this post is a wake-up call. You might as well know what you are in for.

As a professional dowser wrote, if you start at age five and practice every healthy day, by the time you are thirty years old you will have reached your plateau. That does not mean you will be a good dowser.

And for the meditation. Some recommend a half hour twice a day. If you miss one session, add two weeks onto your practice schedule.

As Sam "Lobo" Wolfe said, he only knew of a handful of map dowsers and they all walked close to God.
Another subject I haven't even mentioned is skeptics. They will try every dirty trick in the book to spew their garbage. That's a long process to get immune to that.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to look into some biofeedback equipment. "Know Thyself" is the main thread of all this type of practices. Those GSR (galvanic skin response) units measure skin conductivity. It can teach you what a dowsing response feels like.

Yeah, I don't expect learning to dowse is much different than joining an order of monks. It's an "all-in" thing.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to study dowsing, check out "Supersensonics" by Christopher Hills. He also has a three year study course called "Into Meditation Now". The first book is Section Zero, has the instructions for beginning meditation. Hills says if you don't know what you are doing, you will magnify your mistakes. Sure, some people thumb their nose at me. Sort of Three Stooges' style.

I realize most people think they can learn this in an afternoon. Or as one guy posted "take a moment" to learn. Well, miracles do happen, but don't hold your breath on this one. Wishing ain't gonna cut it, either. That's why i mentioned about similar to joining an order of Monks. One monk practiced 15 years so he could throw a sewing needle through a plane of glass.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"But by being drawn to a specific spot because it is calling to me"

Let me tell you a story from a newspaper, it happened along a road I took each night to work a night shift. I had stayed about 6 months with some 2nd cousins of mine, for a winter in east LA. This happened before the war in 1991, so must of been the year 1989. Somewhere around Rancho Cucamongo, a Chinese person owned property and buried these chests of gold coins.

A local loser, who gambled all his money away on the California Lotto, decided to commit suicide in a vacant lot. Little did he realize, this field contained chests of gold coins. So, the guy walks around with a shovel, thinking he will save others from paying his burial expense. Finally the shovel point is stuck in the ground, at the choosen location. To make a long story short, the loser got lucky and dug up a chest full of gold coins. He broke a finger trying to get the chest open.

I believe it was shovel dowsing by accident, rather than random chance.
Worked in Cucamonga! Was the only place I could show up to work 20 or 25 minutes late & tell the boss I got caught in sheep & He'd say ok no problem. There was a building nearby that was used two or three times for the show Combat. There was a treasure story floating around about the vineyard owner buried cash near the building. Spent many a lunch hour searching. Didn't even find anything related to Combat filming. It's ALL houses now........

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't read about it until someone mailed in the newspaper clipping to a treasure magazine. It was strange to see an empty field driving to work...on my right side going and on my left driving back home. The whole area is built up and all roads, houses or other buildings. The chest was believed to be from a property owned by a Chinese man....think a name like Tobias, I'll try searching see what happens. I worked a night shift in the part of town zoned for factory buildings. There is no way I'd stop at night to metal detect in E LA. All the trees on every street are carved with gang graffiti. It's no joke, some areas the homes had iron bars like they use for jail cells over them.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couldn't find anything searching Internet. According to the news article, somewhere in the surrounding area of Rancho Cucamongo used to be an old Chinatown. Apparently these are a good place to find gold coin hoards. Here is a story I'd just now brought up, a gold coin hoard found in a Nevada Chinatown during road construction.

Hoard of Gold Coins Found at Lovelock Chinatown

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't have a good metal detector at the time, cheap small used detector, wasn't able to tune it enough to beep a quarter put on the ground surface. Had to sleep some in the day then taking Intensive Workshop & Scene Study classes during evenings...so, no time to treasure hunt much if any.

dowser

Jul 13, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MINELAB 2100, L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to study dowsing, check out "Supersensonics" by Christopher Hills. He also has a three year study course called "Into Meditation Now". The first book is Section Zero, has the instructions for beginning meditation. Hills says if you don't know what you are doing, you will magnify your mistakes. Sure, some people thumb their nose at me. Sort of Three Stooges' style.

I realize most people think they can learn this in an afternoon. Or as one guy posted "take a moment" to learn. Well, miracles do happen, but don't hold your breath on this one. Wishing ain't gonna cut it, either. That's why i mentioned about similar to joining an order of Monks. One monk practiced 15 years so he could throw a sewing needle through a plane of glass.

I've taught people that never Dowsed, how to Dowse using Elements to locate distant Elements. Knowing what's going on is the key. When signal is strong I could teach it in a day. Signal is weak and sparatic. I could still teach with it, but it might be to weak for you to Dowse it. It doesn't take a lifetime, just an expert.

okiedowser

Dec 26, 2009
Mena,Ar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can get my head around physically dowsing an area,but dowsing a map which is just a piece of paper

Dowser gave you good advice when you can dowse them 2 coins,then take a camera and take a picture of them 2 coins,you find out you can dowse them..(on paper Film)...you find out signal of them 2 coins will be on the picture,camera got it on the film (paper) if you want to call it that.....seeing that you will understand,but most people want a short cut there are none it take years to become good. good luck

Quisp

Feb 14, 2011
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Teknetics Omega 8500, Garrett GTA-1000, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, I'll bite. What is the science behind dowsing?

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I learned to find utility lines, Water, Sewer, and Electric, with "L" rods in about one minute after my Mentor explained it to me.
Different strokes for different Folks. I am not very successful with dowsing maps.
Marvin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread