Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Map dowsers don't ask for compensation on TN, but a few ask for your address just in case they find enough to want to give back a little.

Today I found a small envelope in the mailbox, didn't recognize the country. But with Google search it turned out to be Italian, a city by the name or possibly a region. I recognized the type of coin as being Byzantine or older. It is nearly the diameter of a dime (but not quite) and is a silver color, even though looks to have a patina which appears to be a slight yellowish color. The coin is much thicker than a dime and surface details hardly visible because of the patina. There is no black color you normally get with old silver coins, none at all. So, maybe the coin was in a cache and didn't get the black tarnish. Because it looks ancient, I'm not going to clean it to make surface details more visible.

I still can't figure out who you are, thanks for sending me an appreciation coin find! :coffee2:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I took out the small envelope, noticed it felt a little heavy. Today I tried weighing the coin with a Postal stamp scales, it was right on 1/2 ounce. If the scales are even close, I'd have to say it must be a gold coin. If that's the case, the patina may actually be a gray color and the slight yellow tint in places could be the gold trying to show through, the size of the coin is probably the same as old Roman small copper coins (but not thinner at the edges). It is flat struck being even thickness from edge to middle.

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Coins-Vince76.jpg
    Coins-Vince76.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 102
Last edited:

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How awesome is that!? I'm glad to hear this. I hope it's gold. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about gold, it is small and heavy though, because it is so old, I'd rather not clean the coin to find out. Old postage stamp scales might not be that accurate, but nice to see somebody really cleaning up on all the spots marked by map dowsing. Get enough good coins, it will be like finding a cache... little by little, it all will add up to a lump sum (eventually).

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about gold, it is small and heavy though, because it is so old, I'd rather not clean the coin to find out. Old postage stamp scales might not be that accurate, but nice to see somebody really cleaning up on all the spots marked by map dowsing. Get enough good coins, it will be like finding a cache... little by little, it all will add up to a lump sum (eventually).

If you figure out what it is, please post about it here.

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see you have GTA 1000 mentioned on your profile...it was my first real detector and I still have mine, works fine yet after all these years.

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you figure out what it is, please post about it here.
I asked the person who sent me the coin. He does't remember which coin was sent me, but it is a coin from Durrachium, 4-1 BC.

Assuming that 4-1 BC means 4th-1st century BC, I was very close in guessing "Byzantine or older" in my opening post. He said if I can find the name of the magistrate should tell the exact year.

But if it refers to the date 4-1 years BC instead, that would be a significant time, because the coins would have been minted right before Jesus Christ arrived.

Last edited:

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see you have GTA 1000 mentioned on your profile...it was my first real detector and I still have mine, works fine yet after all these years.

Hi Red Desert. I have had that detector for about 13 years. I bought it used. It works fine, but could probably use a tune up!

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Red Desert. I have had that detector for about 13 years. I bought it used. It works fine, but could probably use a tune up!
If you have the 10" elliptical coil that was standard with the GTA 1000. I'm referring to the long narrow 10" coil, there is a way to get deeper than the id readout. I always first would up the depth to maximum capacity. Then NOT use any tone id (Belltone, High-low, etc.) finish by adjusting the threshold (probably try increasing it) until there is a slight background or very faint...I don't know if hum is a good name for it, but you'll recognize it if your hearing is good. Also adjusting the threshold works better with the audio boost on while doing this. Believe it or not, I tuned the GTA once same way, at Los Cerrillos, NM and ground minerals didn't cause any problems for my machine. Even deeper 22 cal. slugs were detected. With that particular elliptical coil, signals deeper than the id are possible when tuned right for your soil conditions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't have a photo yet, but it looks like the coin on the far left and center. Maybe I'll get a pic up soon.

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got good photos to post now, but first here is what another TN member just emailed me. There are many, many, more finds back on Vince's annual finds thread. I don't think I've seen half that many quality coin finds pictured on any metal detector ads.

"The Dyrrahum was an old city in Albania, this is an Ilirian coin."

Last edited:
OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the reverse side, much thicker than a dime.

Attachments

• Img_8152.jpg
    Img_8152.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Img_8157.jpg
    Img_8157.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put the coin on the window sill, in good sunlight. I'm still not sure what metal was used, but thick and flat... perhaps bronze or silver? Anyway, don't plan on cleaning the coin, it was mean to be a token of appreciation and inspiration. Not going to sell either, this is going to be for me, a reminder of how dowsing can produce good results. I would say, probably is the front side.

Attachments

• Img_8142.jpg
    Img_8142.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Img_8146.jpg
    Img_8146.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Img_8148.jpg
    Img_8148.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might be bronze.Crusader is probably the best source for I.D.ing your coin I would Personal message him.

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might be bronze.Crusader is probably the best source for I.D.ing your coin I would Personal message him.
Thanks! I used to get the world ancient coin catalog, back in the 1990s. From what I can remember, many of the ancient bronze coins were really nice and seemed very collectable.

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader said it's not Roman or British. I do know a gold geology runs through there, probably from Macedonia. I have seen photos of ancient Macedonian gold coins, the town where this coin was minted is across the border in Albania.

Attachments

• Macedonia-map.jpg
    Macedonia-map.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread