OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Everything I had was spots for Dredging. When California banned gold dredgers I moved out of there. I had to go slow getting back to Dowsing. It was like learning all over again but a lot easier. More and more came back every day...Art

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I imagine that gold dredging is a lot of work, especially around boulders.

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Some boulders were help ful and some were not. I had a Boulder Sling and a big come along. When I dredged under them I kept my shoulder on the rock and if it moved I always moved away very fast.

If you were working an old deposit moving the boulder had a lot of gold under it. When you made a hole in a stream when you got to the bottom you had gone through many layers of gravel. You had checked every layer for gold. If the pay strip was in the middle that was all the deeper you had to go. When you got to the bottom and looked up you had a wall with many colored layers. On Amercan River the pay stripe was on the bottom in a layer of blue clay. That was hard dredging because we had 50 foot of water about us.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last time at Quartzsite, right after the dredging ban went into effect, camped next to 2 dredgers who had been working a river in California. The one guy showed me a coffee cup full of water and very large gold flakes. He said the flakes came out of blue clay, had to pan out the clay.

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Blue Clay is no fun but some of it is loaded with gold. It sticks in your dredge and your pan and just comes off everything real hard. I was in Michigan one summer and found some blue clay. Not enough gold in it. I have found blue, black and yellow clay. In a thousand years all that red dirt will be clay. Blue clay may be the oldest but there is a hard layer of material that is older than blue clay and is loaded with gold. I Call it hard pack and it is light tan in color..Art

Reactions: Rip
OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Another time I went to the Doctors Office. They told me he was running an hour late so I went outside. I was setting on a wall looking across at another walled bed of rocks. Three of the rocks that I took out of the bed are my avatar. NO matter what treasure you like always keep your eyes as you never know where it will show up

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I remember correctly, the dredger said that blue clay in California comes from eroded kimberlite, Sometimes diamonds are hard to recognize. The geologist at the Crater park in Arkansas told me once they had a brown diamond was hard to see any of the triangles until under the microscope. It wasn't small but longer and rounded. I've seen photos of diamonds on the Internet with what they call a skin. Some don't look like they have a skin, but large diamonds often need a window cut, at least I read that somewhere.

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
The different colors of clay come from Valcano ash, Those old eruptions must have lasted for yearsf not for centuries. Some say that blue ash was the first and Red was the last..Art

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a page with a lot of info on diamond prospecting. Eventially, you will come to a mention of blue and yellow clay.

https://gemhunter.webs.com/diamonds.htm

If you were to visit these on the ground, you would want to look for rounded bounders and cobbles in the depressions (characteristic of kimberlite), and look for blue ground clays with considerable calcium carbonate as well as look for the kimberlitic indicator minerals and even diamonds. So how many kimberlites (or cryptovolcanic depressions) can you find in this one photo? At least 25. Keep in mind that when blue ground and yellow ground kimberlite was first discovered in the Kimberly region of South Africa, people though they were finding diamonds in an old paleoplacer because it contained many rounded boulders, cobbles and pebbles. However, instead of being rounded by stream action, these were rounded by magma polishing as the material was carried to the surface in the kimberlite magma. The kimberlite host rock was later identified as the early diamond prospectors dug deeper into the yellow ground, then blue ground and finally the kimberlite.

Last edited:
OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
I have no doubt that I have tossed some Diamonds from my pan. They never interested me so I did not learn...Art

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many of the early prospectors discarded a lot of diamonds also. Raw diamonds don't amount to much dollar value until cut and who knows what a person might charge you if the diamond was a huge one.

Barton

Apr 21, 2005
Abiquiu, NM
Detector(s) used
What ever is needed for the project I am working on--I am a cache hunter
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hello Art Reply # 10 To me pure water is the most important thing to take out in the desert / remote areas

Barton

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Even in the montain areas sometimes it is hard to to find water. It is always good to have a map with ou...Art

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd keep a large, probably was a 2 gallon cooler in the car. The half gallon jug in the backpack would get warm soon enough, but never wasted any water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions