How do you discount the testimonials?

CDMakaKvM

Greenie
Dec 24, 2006
I can sum up why reputable dealers get away with selling LRL devices in two words. IT SELLS! As long as people are willing to buy this crap, dealers will sell it, it's just that simple. Here's a little experiment I did once. I borrowed an anderson rod from a friend and I made another one from a bent wire stuck through a copper handle. Went out in the field with no electric lines around, fences, etc. I began swinging the 'A' rod and it hung up at a certain point. I used the homemade one and it hung up at the same point. I then took a metal detector and scanned the spot and sure enough, I dug up a rusted can! Well, so much for the gold bait chamber and descrimination!LOL These companies have made and continuing to make a lot of money off this stuff. Amazing, isn't it?

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
I used the homemade one and it hung up at the same point.

So how do you explain that? Isn't it odd that both rods would hang up at the same point? Forget about the fact that you even found something there. That was probably dumb luck.

Having read a bunch of the pro-dowsing rhetoric I decided to make a couple of simple dowsing rods out of copper electrical wire. I walked around my basement and found that they crossed at the exact same location (near the water heater) every time and from different directions. Spooky.

I'm not a believer so there has to be some explanation (unlevel ground, luck, arms tiring at the same location, a draft, etc.). But I think one of the things about dowsing is that the rods are made to react to very, very tiny movements and fluctuations in their surroundings. And this trait is also what helps them to do strange things in response to tiny stimulus that goes undected by the user.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
jb7487 said:
I used the homemade one and it hung up at the same point.

So how do you explain that? Isn't it odd that both rods would hang up at the same point? Forget about the fact that you even found something there. That was probably dumb luck.

Having read a bunch of the pro-dowsing rhetoric I decided to make a couple of simple dowsing rods out of copper electrical wire. I walked around my basement and found that they crossed at the exact same location (near the water heater) every time and from different directions. Spooky.

I'm not a believer so there has to be some explanation (unlevel ground, luck, arms tiring at the same location, a draft, etc.). But I think one of the things about dowsing is that the rods are made to react to very, very tiny movements and fluctuations in their surroundings. And this trait is also what helps them to do strange things in response to tiny stimulus that goes undected by the user.
I agree with you on this one, jb. I've believed for quite some time that it's actually a dowser's own senses that cause the rods to react the way they do. That's not to say there's no skill involved with dowsing, since one would have to have a superb sense of where treasure might be located in the first place in order to make the rods react as they do, but I have an idea that a dowser would have just as much luck without rods as they do while using them.

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
but I have an idea that a dowser would have just as much luck without rods as they do while using them.

I tend to agree. But I'm going to do more research.

Just today I set a bag of coins on the floor of my basement and grabbed my new L-rods and walked around. Sure enough, they crossed several times when I walked over the pile. It was very consistent (and very spooky). So why was this happening? Again, I tend to believe that I willed it to happen or that when I looked down (even just with my eyes) it was enough to make my hands follow suit and the rods to cross.

And even if it was completely legitimate, I could have found that bag of coins much quicker and easier with a metal detector. So even if dowsing does have some sort of scientific or spiritual backing, I'm finding it hard to believe that it would do me much good in the field. Walking around at a snail's pace while trying to keep the handles of the rods completely vertical is very tiring and propably not nearly as productive as just using a metal detector. Unless you are talking about water dowsing, map dowsing, or assume that there is something spiritual about dowsing then I have a hard time believing that it is going to beat out metal detecting for the small stuff. Maybe one could argue that I could find a giant gold vein 20 feet underground using dowsing. But I'd never end up digging it up anyway so what's the point?

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
I think that dowsing is like a form of religion. If you already believe in it, then whatever your results are will be interpreted positively.

If you don't find treasure, there will be many logical explanations why it didn't work this time. If you do find something, it is held up as proof that it works.

As long as there is that need/want to believe, the belief itself can't lose.

And you know how people react if you question their religions/beliefs....

Jay

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009

I sure do. Logic seems to fly out the window when religion is involved. Some dowsers on here act the same way. Still, I want to give it a chance and so I will continue practicing. :wink:

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Saturna said:
I think that dowsing is like a form of religion. If you already believe in it, then whatever your results are will be interpreted positively.

If you don't find treasure, there will be many logical explanations why it didn't work this time. If you do find something, it is held up as proof that it works.

Jay
Great quote. :thumbsup:

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Would it affect anything if you had tooth fillings or braces? ;D

Maybe the guys with a gold tooth would have an edge ! :icon_king:

Jay

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saturna said:

And you know how people react if you question their religions/belives

Jay

100 Percent on the money..........

Chicken4U2

Jul 27, 2009
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just came across this thread an thought I'd post my own experience. Several friends/relatives of mine can locate underground streams with tree branches.
I've tried it and couldn't do it, so one of my friends grabbed the branch with me, and suddenly it worked. It turned so hard that when I tried to stop it, the bark actually peeled off in my hands. I watched this same person walk around my yard looking for streams, when he suddenly looked a bit puzzled an told me that he was picking up a stream at about 2'. I laughed an told him that he was right over top of some old clay field tiles that were put in place to help drain all the fields. I was the only one there that knew about those tiles, yet he picked up on it. I've also watched him locate several streams, and helped wash down wells at those locations. Every time there was tons of water. He is the only person I know that can find depths though.
My mother can do it, but refuses to, because she thinks its witchcraft lol. I'm determined that some day it will start to happen for me, but so far no luck. The mind is more powerful than most realize, but I'm not sure if I think its spiritual, the mind, or just simple electricity in some people's bodies somehow. :dontknow:

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, M/Lab Xtera-70, B/Hunter ID , Tesoro Stingray II, Tesoro Tiger Shark, MXT, Eagle II SL, + Others
Dowsing and divining have been documented for several thousand years. The Bible even attests to it! Dowsing in ancient, and not so ancient times, were the only way that minerals and water were located and or mined. Some very famous people were dowsers like: Leonardo Divinci, Sir Isaaic Newton, Loyd George, Thomas A. Edison and Dr. Albert Einstein to name a few. I don't consider them to be a foolish lot. I have an elderly friend named Henry K. in South Carolina, who's now 90, make a believer out of me back in 1984. I was a nay sayer until he put the rods in my hands and let me find a silver dollar. No I did'nt get to keep it! I've been dabbling now and then with interest but have not become commited to pursuing with any vigor. Only recently I visited Dell Winders, in Haines City, FLorida for some insight and help. I aslo bought a few books, on line, about the subject. Who knew that electrons could pass thru wires, radio waves could fly thru space, Marxist would take over the country and faith in my Savior could save me for eternity!

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR said:
LX Kid said:
Some very famous people were dowsers like: Leonardo Divinci, Sir Isaaic Newton, Loyd George, Thomas A. Edison and Dr. Albert Einstein to name a few. I don't consider them to be a foolish lot.

These are indeed some very famous people. Unfortunately, the only people claiming these famous people were dowsers...are dowsers. I would ask for reliable references or sources quoting where these famous people claimed to be dowsers...but...alas...I know there are none

There were alot of famous people saying the world was flat.................SO WHAT???????

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dell Winders said:
There were alot of famous people saying the world was flat.................SO WHAT?
Who is saying the world is flat in the 20th century?? Today, those nay sayers call themselves "Skeptics" and have made a lucrative Profession of promoting false information. Dell

No one with good sense today is saying the world is flat, but alot of famous (and smart) people in the past said it was so.........The same for famous people in the past believing in dowsing...They believed in witchcraft, and dragons also....Most of us today do not believe in fairytales.....Some still do..........

Well, I am a sceptic, that is for sure...I put dowsing right up there with witchcraft, and other paranormal things...I would like to see some sort of "REAL WORLD" double blind study done...While it maybe possible that some individuals have some sort of abilities that most people don't, I do not believe under scientific method dowsing is possible...If you believe it, fine, that is your right...It does not bother me if someone wants to dowse, or anything else for that matter...The long range gizmo's are a joke also......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions