Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
US paper money uses iron oxides in the ink so, yes, a BFO can detect a decent stack at close range. I've verified it.

Even before this thread, I've been toying around with a map dowsing test, just for funsies. I work in El Paso part time, and there are nearby vast areas of desert available for planting, say, a 5-lb cache of silver without much concern that anyone will stumble upon it and haul it off. Not back there until Jan, and I need to make a scouting trip so it may not happen for 2-3 more months.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Even before this thread, I've been toying around with a map dowsing test, just for funsies. I work in El Paso part time, and there are nearby vast areas of desert available for planting, say, a 5-lb cache of silver without much concern that anyone will stumble upon it and haul it off. Not back there until Jan, and I need to make a scouting trip so it may not happen for 2-3 more months.

How are you going to check the area for Lodestones?

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
US paper money uses iron oxides in the ink so, yes, a BFO can detect a decent stack at close range. I've verified it.

Okay Carl, NOW you are getting wise or smart., and I don't mean like a wiseacre, just plain going to figure it out. That is very good. If you don't want to risk losing good stuff, you can put down lead or copper, OR, cast iron. Any metal will do. Bury about 12 inches deep, lay a rock over it and wait for a few weeks. Print a picture of the place off Google Earth and you will be in business. Be advised though, you will not hit dead on the target and then you will have a looooonnnggg learning curve on HOW it is done. Good luck and Merry christmas to you and yours.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Just rap a bill around a rod and hold it on with a rubber band. Now the rod can only locate money or rubber bands

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be advised though, you will not hit dead on the target and then you will have a looooonnnggg learning curve on HOW it is done.

It's not for me to dowse, but for the denizens of this forum. At least those who want to give it a try.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Icewing, I think it's a good idea, but in order to truly test a concept you need to design a test. We've already seen loads of people post maps here, they get dowsed, then almost always there is no follow-up. If the vast majority of those dowses yielded no recovery (as I suspect is the case) then the 'why' of those outcomes is a mile long. I usually call them alibis.

I've done dowsing (& LRL) tests for 20 years now. In all cases I use a real target (usually gold, but it's up to the dowser) in a real setting and they get to see real results in real time. The target is there, right in front of them, either they can find it or they can't.

In a map dowsing scenario, there needs to be a real target in a real location. Not the speculation of a target, that might be deeper than you care to dig, or was a mere 20 feet over to the left. And a one-shot test is a poor test; if 20 people come on here and dowse it, the odds are someone can get a vague kinda-sorta close just by guessing, especially given that a lot of the dowsers put multiple marks on the map. You could easily end up with 50 marks... then whatcha gonna do? Dig 50 holes?

I have 60lbs of silver coin, so I think I'll haul 5-10 lbs to El Paso for a real target. Put it in the desert, record the GPS coords, and post a GoogleEarth image. See what folks can do with that. Move it around and try several times. If someone gets lucky once, OK, they got lucky once. If someone consistently locates it, then they've got a very promising future in treasure hunting.

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Icewing, I think it's a good idea, but in order to truly test a concept you need to design a test. We've already seen loads of people post maps here, they get dowsed, then almost always there is no follow-up. If the vast majority of those dowses yielded no recovery (as I suspect is the case) then the 'why' of those outcomes is a mile long. I usually call them alibis.

I've done dowsing (& LRL) tests for 20 years now. In all cases I use a real target (usually gold, but it's up to the dowser) in a real setting and they get to see real results in real time. The target is there, right in front of them, either they can find it or they can't.

In a map dowsing scenario, there needs to be a real target in a real location. Not the speculation of a target, that might be deeper than you care to dig, or was a mere 20 feet over to the left. And a one-shot test is a poor test; if 20 people come on here and dowse it, the odds are someone can get a vague kinda-sorta close just by guessing, especially given that a lot of the dowsers put multiple marks on the map. You could easily end up with 50 marks... then whatcha gonna do? Dig 50 holes?

I have 60lbs of silver coin, so I think I'll haul 5-10 lbs to El Paso for a real target. Put it in the desert, record the GPS coords, and post a GoogleEarth image. See what folks can do with that. Move it around and try several times. If someone gets lucky once, OK, they got lucky once. If someone consistently locates it, then they've got a very promising future in treasure hunting.

You have been witnessing exactly what I told you in post # 23. Gold has 44 images in a circle around it and those images move with the sun, and the Lrods or LRL's tag the image first every time. Many dowsers do not realize this and do not know what they have hit. Silve will have less images but will still act in same manner. Later I will give you a place where you can watch a video in action. It will explain why a double or triple blind test will fail
without any tricks of the trade being made. You tell me if you want to see the video, okay?

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I brought it up

Don't be. I have two locations now I believe there is treasure. I too have wished to test the dowsers abilities to see whats up that makes them so certian they can locate anything. So your original post actually interests me

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not for me to dowse, but for the denizens of this forum. At least those who want to give it a try.

Below you will read what a denizen is as supplied by the 1828 Websters Dict.
DENIZEN, noun

1. In England, an alien who is made a subject by the kings letters patent, holding a middle state between an alien and a natural born subject. He may take land by purchase or devise, which an alien cannot; but he cannot take by inheritance.

2. A stranger admitted to residence and certain rights in a foreign country.

Ye gods,

Natives, or denizens, of blest abodes.

3. A citizen.

DENIZEN, verb transitive To make a denizen; to admit to residence with certain rights and privileges; to infranchise.....
You might want to change that as it is getting close to being very ugly toward others.

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DENIZEN, noun

1. In England, an alien who is made a subject by the kings letters patent, holding a middle state between an alien and a natural born subject. He may take land by purchase or devise, which an alien cannot; but he cannot take by inheritance.

2. A stranger admitted to residence and certain rights in a foreign country.

Ye gods,

Natives, or denizens, of blest abodes.

3. A citizen.

DENIZEN, verb transitive To make a denizen; to admit to residence with certain rights and privileges; to infranchise.....
You might want to change that as it is getting close to being very ugly toward others.

I just had to check my 1994 Merriam-Webster dictionary and I'm not seeing anything close to ugly. This seems to be a means to designate an alien granted rights of citizenship. Also defined as a stranger who frequents a place.
Tnet is not a country but we are not granted automatically all rights just for appearing here.
Oh well. I am thinking too much.
You make a good point. i think we all have used words without knowing what they actually mean, and I had no idea of how denizen was used. I believe I just assumed the word was an archaic version of citizen. Do you have a 1828 dictionary? That would be cool.
I would like to see the video you mentioned.

Last edited:

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What does the 1828 Webster have for "Internet?" Usages change, and a "forum denizen" is a commonly used reference for folks who frequent a particular forum.

Denizen: an inhabitant or occupant of a particular place.
synonyms: inhabitant, resident, townsman, townswoman, native, local

okiedowser

Dec 26, 2009
Mena,Ar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sorry that will not work for me ,you can hide a 100 pounds and i could not find it, WHY you say!!!! because the signal will not be on google earth tell it update and on the film.... so google earth would be no good.. you be a 100% safe on that one..... maybe for a good mental dowser? which i tried that for 40 years, more missed than hits,..... on the other hand if you put it in a camera picture where the date and time will be right, you better watch you money. Have a :coffee2: and think about it you see where i'm coming from.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have been witnessing exactly what I told you in post # 23. Gold has 44 images in a circle around it and those images move with the sun, and the Lrods or LRL's tag the image first every time. Many dowsers do not realize this and do not know what they have hit. Silve will have less images but will still act in same manner. Later I will give you a place where you can watch a video in action. It will explain why a double or triple blind test will fail
without any tricks of the trade being made. You tell me if you want to see the video, okay?

Are you saying that dowsing doesn't work, or is useless, or that it just can't be tested?

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry that will not work for me ,you can hide a 100 pounds and i could not find it, WHY you say!!!! because the signal will not be on google earth tell it update and on the film.... so google earth would be no good.. you be a 100% safe on that one..... maybe for a good mental dowser? which i tried that for 40 years, more missed than hits,..... on the other hand if you put it in a camera picture where the date and time will be right, you better watch you money. Have a :coffee2: and think about it you see where i'm coming from.

A cheap drone can remedy that. Several wide angle aerial shot stitched together would still be large enough to mask the area where it was hidden.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So how about this...

I place 5 pounds of silver on the ground. I cover it with a bucket. I place 5 other buckets in the area. 1 bucket is hiding the silver, the other 5 have nothing. I take a photo of the area and post the photo. Can you dowse the photo and tell me the bucket that hides the silver?

If so, does the silver have to remain in place after the photo is taken?

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my goodness I was going to just let it go but since I have your attention, I'll just start high and go from there.

Edit: Nevermind

Last edited:

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
In most cases, double-blind experiments are regarded to achieve a higher standard of scientific rigor than single-blind or non-blind experiments. In these double-blind experiments, neither the participants nor the researchers know which participants belong to the control group, nor the test group.

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice :thumbsup:

Under certain Circumstances Yes !

If it's in or wrapped around something Metal,
Or By Eyeballing While Detecting & looking down
The detector Helped :laughing7:

Many Years ago (80's ?) the magazines used to have writers who insisted the Older BFO detectors,
& I think possibly TR;s If tuned right , Could be tuned to Detect Bills.

I'd Guess you remember that . Maybe even Better then I :coffee2:

What is a BFO and TR?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions