Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: Talk, talk, enough talk already.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    The Watcher

Apr 2004
    Northern Nevada
    Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
    1033 times
    All these stories are indeed amazing. It's just a shame that none of them can ever be done in
    double-blind testing with protocols put-in-place,
    to ensure other factors aren't at play

It is a shame that people keep talking about testing. No one has offfered a test where Dowsers and non dowsers have been tested.That is where the Double Blind comes from....Art

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    9009 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by elh View Post
    .... YES, I did use my Minelab on the signal lines and I came out with ..... that is so much better than any kind of blind test. No one could ask for a better set up.....
    Wait, hold on, ... Am I reading that you pullled out a metal detector (the Minelab) at a '30s/'40s Parochial school, and got some old coins. And you find that to be a "blind test" for the method ?

Or Is it maybe (just maybe) because, odds are, if someone pulls out a detector to use at an old school, they might find coins ? I pull out my Minelab all the time, at various locations, and .... drum roll .... find old coins.
    Last edited by Tom_in_CA; Dec 28, 2018 at 02:39 PM.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    9009 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by aarthrj3811 View Post
    ..... No one has offfered a test where Dowsers and non dowsers have been tested.That is where the Double Blind comes from....Art
    Really ? Do a youtube search , and you'll see that : Yes indeed, double blind tests have been done with dowsers & non-dowsers. If you would like, I can link you to some of them. But .... I already know the push-back lines

us
    The Watcher

Apr 2004
    Northern Nevada
    1033 times
    Really ? Do a youtube search , and you'll see that : Yes indeed, double blind tests have been done with dowsers & non-dowsers
    I did what you said. I did not find it. How many people were involved in this this test

us
    The Watcher

Apr 2004
    Northern Nevada
    1033 times
    Or Is it maybe (just maybe) because, odds are, if someone pulls out a detector to use at an old school, they might find coins ?
    One time I owned a metal detector. I went to a park with one table by the Sacramento River. I put the thing to gold and dug 200 straight pull tab. The next week I went Bach with some dowsing Ros Dug close to an once of gold that day

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    9009 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    I did what you said. I did not find it.....
    Really ? There's no lack of them on Youtube. Surprised you can't find examples of what I'm referring to. Here's a few. Shared in a non-badgering friendly way, as a direct result to your direct question.

lesjcbs likes this.

us
    Jul 2011
    Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II.
    258 times
    Metal Detecting
    Went dowsing today. Found this. Looks like a rusty link from a chain. The temperature was warmer today too. If it is warm
    again tomorrow, I will dowse again and maybe find something.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S5303715.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	769.8 KB 
ID:	1664742  
    Last edited by lesjcbs; Dec 28, 2018 at 07:44 PM.
    elh likes this.
    Einstein said: I know very well that many scientists consider dowsing as a type of ancient superstition. According to my conviction this is, however, unjustified. The dowsing rod is a simple instrument which shows the reaction of the human nervous system to certain factors which are unknown to us at this time.”

If dowsing does not work, the Spanish would not have used it as much as they did.

Practice makes perfect, even in dowsing.

us
    Jul 2011
    Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II.
    258 times
    Metal Detecting
    Here are just two of my favorite dowsing videos. There are tons more like these two that shows the truth that is way beyond the understanding and capability of science.

Last edited by lesjcbs; Dec 29, 2018 at 01:03 AM.
    elh likes this.
    Einstein said: I know very well that many scientists consider dowsing as a type of ancient superstition. According to my conviction this is, however, unjustified. The dowsing rod is a simple instrument which shows the reaction of the human nervous system to certain factors which are unknown to us at this time.”

If dowsing does not work, the Spanish would not have used it as much as they did.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    9009 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by lesjcbs View Post
    Here are just two of my favorite dowsing videos. There are tons more like these two that shows the truth that is way beyond the understanding and capability of science. ...

Lesjcbs, what happened ?? Instead of addressing the video links I gave , you just link some others ? Why can't you address the ones I posted ?

As for your video links: I will save us both some time and acknowledge that there is ... no doubt ... TONS of anecdotal stories, videos, posts, etc.... of people who have found stuff this way. But in each and every case (as hinted at in the video links I gave), there is other potential reasons for the seeming success. And/or the anecdotal stories and videos are not double blind, no safeguards or protocols, etc....

us
    Jul 2011
    258 times
    Metal Detecting
    If I organized a treasure hunt I would not take a dowsing skeptic along, even if that person had the latest any greatest electronic .metal detector. Their negative take on dowsing is very powerful and corrosive to dowsing success. I'm going dowsing today. Hope I find something to show and tell.
    Last edited by lesjcbs; Dec 29, 2018 at 11:56 AM.
    elh likes this.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    9009 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by lesjcbs View Post
    .... Their negative take on dowsing is very powerful and corrosive to dowsing success. ....
    Yes. That is one of the popularly cited "pushback lines" I anticipated. The "negative vibes" of testers will "skew the results". And I can think of about 10 other push-back lines too.

I can't understand how "bad vibes" would have any effect on the outcome, if this is a scientific principle. In the same way that if you had 100 skeptics wave a quarter in front of a detector, it would beep for all of them. Whether they believed, or not.

So this "vibes" thing causes me to think that the supposed powers have something mystical/supernatural at play . Especially when some dowsers even allude to "asking the rods questions". I mean, gee, that sounds like Ouija boards type stuff ?

But the moment we go down THAT path, a lot of dowsers admittedly become uncomfortable. Knowing this puts them into a class of supernatural, occult, etc.... And we certainly can't have that, eh ? So they retreat back to "un-discovered science". But don't you see the vicious circle ? If we say "science", then "belief" or "vibes" should have nothing to do with it. Eh ?

Said in a non-badgering way, constructive/fair-pro-con discussion . Replying to the invite that was given to me.
    Last edited by Tom_in_CA; Dec 29, 2018 at 12:39 PM.

us
    The Watcher

Apr 2004
    Northern Nevada
    1033 times
    R Darken one of Randi's guys. Randi ask what they would do if anyone ever passed the test. he said we would just claim it was all mental and that gets us from paying the million dollars.
    Last edited by aarthrj3811; Dec 29, 2018 at 06:25 PM.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    9009 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    ..... Randi ask what they would do if anyone ever passed the test. she said we would just claim it was all mental and that gets us from paying the million dollars.
    Huh ? Care to elaborate on this ? Got a link ?

This is another common push-back line, when it comes to various persons/entities that have offered prize money. The persons being challenged (psychics, dowsers, or whoever) will claim that there's not really any prize money. Or that they won't waste their time, because if they passed the test, then the prize money would be unfairly denied to them, blah blah blah.

got a link to this quote where Randi openly claimed he'd skirt and circumvent paying ?

us
    Jul 2011
    258 times
    Metal Detecting
    As l promised in post 25 above, I did. I had a terrible day dowsing today. Found only these four things and since dowsing does not work, this should not have happened, but it did. Two wires, a curved pieced of metal and a part of what looks like a 7/16 inch rusty bolt with course threads. I will take sunday off and start dowsing again on Monday. Enjoy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S5303716.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	845.3 KB 
ID:	1665075  
    Last edited by lesjcbs; Dec 29, 2018 at 07:27 PM.

us
    The Watcher

Apr 2004
    Northern Nevada
    1033 times
    There you go Tom. I would like to see 100 dowsers do a Double Blind test. Maybe all you skeptic's could get together and be the control group...Art

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links