Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darke, in response to your question in another thread... here is the frame I designed & built:

jig1.jpg

The motivation for this was discussions on the old TNet dowsing/LRL forum (this was ~2004/2005) , where many people insisted that the reason the rods cross was because of some kind of target field, and not because the user slightly tilted their hands inward and caused the rods to cross. So I built a simple frame that clamps the rod handles parallel to each other, not allowing the user to tilt them inward, whether purposefully or not.

If you then hold the rods normally, with maybe a few degrees of forward tilt, and dowse in a normal manner then the rods will never cross. Ergo there is not a target field that, alone, causes them to cross, or they would still do so.

I suggested to Art that he try this, and he did. But he said the rods would still cross. Then he posted a short video clip which explained why... he was wildly gyrating the whole thing all over the place so, sure, the rods were flailing and flapping around. To Art, this meant that the frame test was a fail.

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, simple but effective. Any reflex or motor response while holding them normally would force them to rotate in the same direction. You'd have to move them like a yoke to get them to cross without an outside influence which would be obvious. Is the video still around?

Since I build mostly rotating rods I just used my bike work stand and leveled the rod. The people that were there weren't deterred the rod wouldn't move unless they shook the stand. Some of the theories were they clamp interfered with the signal, you couldn't contact enough of the rod to generate energy or I put fake items in the bait/witness chamber. Mostly they thought I was messing with them because of course the rods work perfectly for them.

OP
OP
Carl-NC

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I designed the frame so that the rod handles still made full contact with the hands, exactly the same as they would without the frame. The frame is made of non-conductive wood.

If Art posted the video on the old TNet forum, then I don't have it and Art would have to re-post it. Back then Art & I had a bit more cordial relationship and exchanged emails occasionally, but I don't see a video in the emails I found.

Here is a trick for single rod dowsing devices:

balanced_lrl.jpg

This is a counter-balance, made completely of wood so as to not affect the *ahem* "fields" and attached with zip ties. Slide until the whole thing is perfectly balanced. At this point, the dowsing response vanishes, showing that gravity is needed to effect movement.

These experiments demonstrate what is probably obvious to you, but many dowsers insist the rods move on their own, not because of gravity (and some will say the rods can even defy gravity) and not because of wrist action. And, in their defense, when you feel a real dowsing response it does feel downright eerie. But it's all self-inflicted, it's all in the head.

Back in the ol' days of TNet, the Dowsing/LRL forum was more of a wild west and the denizens had a lot thicker skin than they do now. Sure, people sometimes got rude and annoying. But the information exchanged was WAY WAY more useful than it is now, we used to discuss and debate all sorts of good stuff. The Wayback Machine has a tiny bit of it saved but the vast majority got flushed. Now it's just a bunch of guys nodding their heads in unison, and drawing circles on maps.

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The frame was a great idea considering the L-Rods are the most common dowsing rods. I think I'll steal your counterbalance idea. The rods are pretty well balanced but that would compensate for the antenna being extended. I'd have to do a barrel clamp for the smaller rods since the front and rear are different sizes.

Type1 001.jpg

I'm always open to new ways to experiment with dowsing or metaphysics in general. Although they're pretty mundane compared to some of the things I've been through with new agers, wiccans and the paranormal guys lol. Sometimes it makes it you second guess yourself.

I was member back then but didn't visit the dowsing forum. Mainly came to see what metal detectors everyone was using. I didn't mess with dowsing for quite a while after my father died. I started playing around a bit again a few years later and then my health went bad so I sold off all his rods and his correspondence with Carl Anderson(which sold for more than the rods). That's where Spar came in. He couldn't afford the rods so I designed and built him one instead.

I noticed there's not even really a discussion about dowsing technique or rod building let alone critique now. Just here's what I found and here's a map...where do I dig? Must of been a lot more fun back then.

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... Hunting for badger?:metaldetector:

No more than the one I was quoting (you). Or the word "ahem" I quoted (Carl). I will be held to the same standards. Which is only fair. Thus .... it's all good.

To say (in effect) "ditto", is ... not badgering. Any-more-than the person you said "ditto" to.

Last edited:

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No more than the one I was quoting (you). Or the word "ahem" I quoted (Carl). I will be held to the same standards. Which is only fair. Thus .... it's all good.

To say (in effect) "ditto", is ... not badgering. Any-more-than the person you said "ditto" to.

I agree. Sounds fair to me. My line was meant to be read sarcastically.:tongue3:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if Carl can make one of those frames for a pendulum? That way it won't give false responses.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
The frame was a great idea considering the L-Rods are the most common dowsing rods. I think I'll steal your counterbalance idea. The rods are pretty well balanced but that would compensate for the antenna being extended. I'd have to do a barrel clamp for the smaller rods since the front and rear are different sizes.

Carl's photo's at good enough to make either one of them. I hope some you will make them. I am pretty good with a LRL with swivel handles..Art

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Carl's photo's at good enough to make either one of them. I hope some you will make them. I am pretty good with a LRL with swivel handles..Art

If you want to PM me an address and when I feel good enough to get back in the shop I'll send you one of my rods.

OP
OP
Carl-NC

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if Carl can make one of those frames for a pendulum? That way it won't give false responses.

A pendulum can be hung from a small tripod such that the string/chain can still be held. The obvious result which will be, it doesn't move on its own.

Most everyone is already well-aware that dowsing devices aren't autonomous. An L-rod won't swivel all by itself, a pendulum won't swing all by itself, a bobber won't bob all by itself, a fork branch won't unload unless it's first loaded with torque. All these devices move under the influence of the holder. The far more interesting question is, is something influencing the holder?

OP
OP
Carl-NC

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe you can get away with saying that :(

Tom, please don't respond to every post I make and question whether it falls under the rules of the forum. If you feel you are held to a different standard than others, that could very well be true, and there is likely a good reason for it.

I am posting information on dowsing based on what I have learned over 20+ years of working with it. Folks are free to use it, ignore it, discuss it, anything they want. Heck, they can even tell me I'm full of It, don't bother me in the least. I'm not asking anyone to prove me wrong or prove them right, and if a question goes unanswered, then that's the end of the question.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... held to a different standard ....

?? I have studied your text/points , and my points. And I can't help but think if I posted the exact same things, that .... well .... never mind. :(

.... what I have learned over 20+ years ...

Ok. And it was ~25 yrs. ago, that I joined together with an emigrant employee of mine, for a cache hunting adventure in his home-country. We were to pool-our $ together for all the expenses of this upcoming trip. And he came to me with advertisements from a treasure magazine. Showing dudes posed next to their jar of coins , found from "several miles away". Convinced that we needed to invest in these gadgets.

For some reason, I thought it was hocus pocus. But admittedly, couldn't say "why". So I set about on research. Maybe not unlike yours. Hence my interest in the subject.

Anyhow, when you said "20" yrs., I thought about that.

Hope it was ok to say that :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions