Sam "Lobo" Wolfe Dowsing Classes 1970's!!

Lost_Adams

Apr 28, 2011
Pacific North West
Detector(s) used
Garrett 70's Ground Hog, 80's Master Hunter III, '96 Scorpion Gold Stinger. 98 Tiger Shark, 07 SD2200V2, '14 TDI SL, Discovery TF 900, 1975 Carl Anderson Dowsing, Magnetometer, Arc Geo Logger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suspect there aren't too many people still alive.

The Lobo rod had a special tip designed by his wife. It was figure eight shaped. Al Rossmiller built some rods and he said she gave him permission to use that tip. Don't know much else about it other than I liked to look through the openings and it reminded me of looking through binoculars the wrong way--everything looked smaller like a fish eye lens. I will post a photo a bit later.

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to forum rule we are not supposed to be discussing this. So if it gets deleted before you see it, I can email it to you. This is laying sideways.

Lobo rod tip.jpg

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's just a monopole antenna with a bowtie shape. Real bowtie antenna are dipole. But just the shape will alter the field. It would be better than a standard extendable monopole in horizontal position but not as good as good as dipole. A bicon shape would of better than the bowtie but harder to produce and since it seems to be mainly for cosmetics probably not worth it.

OP
OP
Lost_Adams

Lost_Adams

Apr 28, 2011
Pacific North West
Detector(s) used
Garrett 70's Ground Hog, 80's Master Hunter III, '96 Scorpion Gold Stinger. 98 Tiger Shark, 07 SD2200V2, '14 TDI SL, Discovery TF 900, 1975 Carl Anderson Dowsing, Magnetometer, Arc Geo Logger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the pic signal_line. That's very helpful.
Darke do you have any pictorial examples of what you are talking about?
A shop sketch would suffice to get the idea.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't recall much about what Al said about it, but Alma perceived the idea psychically. I just know that looking through it gives me a good perspective. The subconscious can see it even if it's too tiny to see with my eyes.

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These are a couple patterns from a dipole bowtie and a monopole in proper orientation from ground plane. The monopole held in horizontal position will lose half of it's pattern.
Typical-radiation-pattern-of-the-bow-tie-antenna-at-400-MHz.png Vpol_dual_band_blade_antenna_blade_L1_3D_636355339557931982.jpg

This is a biconical antenna. They are more omnidirectional than a bowtie. Since you are the receiver in dowsing you'll better range with an omnidirectional and better pinpointing with directional. That was why I switched to interchangeable antennas on mine.
ab-900n.png

OP
OP
Lost_Adams

Lost_Adams

Apr 28, 2011
Pacific North West
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Darke!

My understanding of a Dipole antenna is;

and second is a Dipole Bow-tie;

Attachments

• Di Pole Antenna.jpg
    Di Pole Antenna.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 93
  • bowtie.gif
    bowtie.gif
    13.5 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
OP
OP
Lost_Adams

Lost_Adams

Apr 28, 2011
Pacific North West
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mono-pole is like a standard telescopic antenna like on most modern L-Rods.
So my understanding of your post is to hold the Mono perpendicular to the ground so you won't lose half of the Signal reception?? I'm not mocking just trying to understand OK.

how would you attach the above antennas to your L-Rod extension antenna?

Last edited:

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's mostly correct. The first picture is a half wave dipole. You can make them almost any shape though. Each side of a half wave dipole is a quarter wave. These need to be sized to match wave length. They'll still work at other frequencies just not as well. The bow tie give you more antenna length at a smaller footprint. Extendable dipole antenna take that to an extreme by using a coil around the mast to achieve the same length as the mast. We can also increase gain this way.

Yes almost all dowsing rods and those sold as LRLs use extendable monopoles. And that's correct. Monopoles are vertical mount so the radiate perpendicular to ground plane. This is why you'll see a metal plate at the bottom of high mounted monopoles. Using a dipole also loses some pattern when held parallel to the ground but since it's twice the effective length at the same size as a monopole and it's pattern is more spread it doesn't lose as much reception.

I originally designed the rod with a 3mm base monopole too just because they were cheap and easy to get. Now the dipoles are cheaper and offer lots of antenna choices in many tuned frequencies so I use a SMA connection instead of a 3mm.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
If you can find a store where you can buy hard brass tubing you can fit in different sizes to make rods.I got mine a Ace Hardware....Art

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The figure eight tip is not used sideways, but up and down--earth and sky is what somebody said about it. Nothing dipole about it.

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wolfe's design patent shows it used at an angle. Dipole has nothing to do with orientation.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hills did the same thing with some of his stuff so people would not copy it.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can find a store where you can buy hard brass tubing you can fit in different sizes to make rods.I got mine a Ace Hardware....Art
Another good source is Hobby Lobby. They have an excellent selection of brass, aluminum, spring steel and plastic in solid and hollow rods, square, triangular etc. In everything from hair dia. up to 1/2".Oh probably not much use to most of us, but they even have a limited selection of carbon fiber. Take a careful look around!!!! They're turning into my #1 source for "Mickey Mousing" supplies!!

OP
OP
Lost_Adams

Lost_Adams

Apr 28, 2011
Pacific North West
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
art how would you make something like you are talking about. A Pic is worth a Thousand Words.

So what is the Frequency - Wave - Ray these are supposed to pick up being generated off the Target.

The Lobo Bow-Tie looks to me to be made of Wood??

How can this pick up Waves/Rays/Frequencies/Radiation??

Am I looking at this the right way. I have a background in Electronics Radio Theory!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lost_Adams

Lost_Adams

Apr 28, 2011
Pacific North West
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get me wrong as I do appreciate all the input, BUT so far No One has addressed or answered any of this Threads Original Questions I posed??

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
art how would you make something like you are talking about. A Pic is worth a Thousand Words.

So what is the Frequency - Wave - Ray these are supposed to pick up being generated off the Target.

The Lobo Bow-Tie looks to me to be made of Wood??

How can this pick up Waves/Rays/Frequencies/Radiation??

Am I looking at this the right way. I have a background in Electronics Radio Theory!

Looks like it's a metal lamp finial. You'll see a ton of lamp and plumbing parts on older dowsing rods.

Which theory would you like? The metaphysical, the "scientific" MFD/NMR theory or EMF theory? Since you know about radio transmission you'll know how large an antenna would have to be to pick up ULF frequencies like used in MFD.

Never had to the chance to take one of Wolfe's rods apart but besides Carl Anderson adding a radioactive booster and trademarking "universal antenna rod" it appears Carl's was better built.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen rods with a magnet inside. Hold a compass near it and see if it pulls to it.

The Rossmiller rod tip is metal.

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used a magnetic power load in the first versions of my rods also. They were placed at each end of the chamber with the crystal mix in between. They're still considered the most powerful version by users who have the newer ones also. Fitzgerald used magnets in his plastic rod.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread