Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The article says a "dip needle" or "miner's compass" is legit. A more correct name is the "magnetic dip needle." Here is a pic of a Darley (I own 2 of these) which is literally a compass turned sideways:

DarleyDipNeedle.jpg

The gadget held by Garrett is commonly called a "Spanish Dip Needle" but was also marketed under the name "mineral rod." It was a dowsing scam going back to around 1900, and perhaps originated with the Klondike rush. The glass tube was supposedly filled with gold but I own several of these (all 100+ years old) and all of them are filled with pyrite. This is the kind of device the article was warning against.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a modern fluid filled compass looks something like that, you can turn it sideways.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dip needle Charles Garrett is holding, looks more like an over-sized Y-rod.

dowser

Jul 13, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MINELAB 2100, L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the same style I've tried and seen used back in 2005, only the handles were twisted square metal. I had met 2 guys that were strictly Noodle rod/Spanish dip needle and Pendulum users. They used them both on maps. One guy, Marly, a Mexican, had said his grandfather had made them, and told me some Dowsing stories about him. Marley said his grandfather had been on Ripley's believe it or not, on stage showing his dowsing ability. I cant find the 13 episodes from 49 and 50. I believe it's on one of those..

dowser

Jul 13, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MINELAB 2100, L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was an interesting time back then. Marley, his buddy Dave, their Dip needles, they called noodle rods, and my L-rods. We went on a couple treasure hunts, and we Map Dowsed Sycamore canyon, looking for a lost Spanish Silver mine. They would attach a Crystal to the end of their noodle rod. They said it needed to be a neutral Crystal, not Positive nor Negative. That's also when I first heard the term baiting. They held a piece of the Element they were Dowsing for.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was an interesting time back then. Marley, his buddy Dave, their Dip needles, they called noodle rods, and my L-rods. We went on a couple treasure hunts, and we Map Dowsed Sycamore canyon, looking for a lost Spanish Silver mine. They would attach a Crystal to the end of their noodle rod. They said it needed to be a neutral Crystal, not Positive nor Negative. That's also when I first heard the term baiting. They held a piece of the Element they were Dowsing for.

No Idea Who it was, or How they got my Name.
Was Pre Computer, At least for Me.
Early to mid 70's.
But there was a Map Dowser Who would Send me offers
To map Dowse for me, For a Fee.
The letters Went in the Trash right after I Opened them.
would come at least twice a Year.
I've always been Curious about Dowsing, & LRL's But too Skittish , especially
About Paying Hard earned Money for Something like that.

I have broken down & Purchased a set of Rods This year,
But No idea If I'll ever Take them out.

I Do Know too many People Claim Dowsing & LRLs Work
to All be Lying. There obviously is Something There. But I Don't feel so Lucky

Last edited:

dowser

Jul 13, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MINELAB 2100, L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried map Dowsing but never picked up a signal myself. Few can do it, I know one right now. I started with a frequency generator and L-rods. It did work and taught me how to Dowse the signal. In one year I realized it wasn't needed. L-rods and Element samples are all that's needed, besides power.

tseek7

Banned
Dec 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
Other

And there it is. There is so much BS piled on to the term "Dowsing" by scammers in the field that no one believes it anymore. Sadly, its a very easy thing to scam with. With a little practice you can manipulate the movement of any dowsing instrument manually without being noticed. That's what makes it so attractive to scammers. That's the problem. You know what's funny? There's another problem with dowsing that most people don't talk about. It is people who are so unaware of their own mind and hand movements that they actually trick themselves in to believing they are dowsing. Their own wishful thinking produces the results, which obviously turn out to be inaccurate 100% of the time. Understandably its hard for most people to look past the thick layer of garbage that surrounds dowsing. But you're right Jeff. "There is something there."

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The same can be said for astrology. Or alien abductions. Or [insert religious belief here]. Or [insert political belief here].

The dowsers I've met are honest believers in what they think they can do. Doesn't mean they're not wrong, though.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH Alien Abductions are Real ! I'd prove it, but that would be against Forum Rules

dowser

Jul 13, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MINELAB 2100, L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The proof that Dowsing works for finding treasure is only going to be believed if there is multiple finds of $. I'm happily working on that. As for proof of the Dowsing signal I use, no one ever asked. Yes, I could've cleared some air 10 years ago.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron pyrite is slightly magnetic. My guess there is some induction going on here. These things have been around for about a hundred years, never seen an finds made. Looks awkward.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron pyrite can contain a little gold, do remember reading that finding it is good because, gold could be in the same area.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[video=youtube;AfDKQus3qfE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=336&v=AfDKQus3qfE&feature=emb_ logo[/video]

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread