Forested Area w/ Old Stone Ruins

OP
OP
P

piratemap7

Nov 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
More of just an archaeological site no doubt. That would be highly unusual for site with stone ruins, not to have anything metallic (even if only iron which has mostly rusted away). However, lack of anything found with a metal detector is an almost certain sign, other treasure hunters probably have searched systematically this area.

The stone ruins are over 200 meters away from your circled location. Kind of hard to see from the panorama but it was actually on the side of a hill. I doubt anyone ever built any structure there.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After my examination, i come up with nothing significant in the area, certainly not any buried treasure, just dropped coins and what not. Good luck in you search.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't say it was native gold, only asking to rule out any possibility of it. Probably could be something small a hiker may have lost.

gold-hit.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

piratemap7

Nov 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Ok, in those two places we must be looking at coins or some other small objects. That location Weregolf pointed to is a very random spot with no landmarks or anything. I'm thinking its just a coin. For now I'd like to spend my time on the bigger ticket items.

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, in those two places we must be looking at coins or some other small objects. That location Weregolf pointed to is a very random spot with no landmarks or anything. I'm thinking its just a coin. For now I'd like to spend my time on the bigger ticket items.
Wasn't that site a slope on a hill also? Brushy hill side, going to be people lose stuff most likely.

OP
OP
P

piratemap7

Nov 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Wasn't that site a slope on a hill also? Brushy hill side, going to be people lose stuff most likely.

Yes it was. I don't think my 58cm coil will even respond to single coins. I don't have a smaller coil.

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems logical to me that, old places in the woods, should have a spot for use as a cemetery. Do you remember seeing anything in the area? Not suggesting digging or disturbing such a site, in any way if one exists.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it was. I don't think my 58cm coil will even respond to single coins. I don't have a smaller coil.
If you ever get back there, I'd be interested in seeing what this area looks like, not getting metallic just different.

Piratemap7-forested-Area-a1.jpg

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe left and right of the bottom point also.

OP
OP
P

piratemap7

Nov 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If you ever get back there, I'd be interested in seeing what this area looks like, not getting metallic just different.

View attachment 1904487

An elevated flatland. A good view of the stream below and any game that may wonder around. Thats the only thing about this place. No ruins that I saw.

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the last photo, did you put anything in the ground or disturb the surface several inches up from hand and a slight angle left? When checking photos, wasn't getting metal stuff in the ground. The new area I'd outlined on map, was getting responses a couple places for graves, but not here in these pics. Obviously once a settlement, should be some interesting finds.

OP
OP
P

piratemap7

Nov 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
On the last photo, did you put anything in the ground or disturb the surface several inches up from hand and a slight angle left? When checking photos, wasn't getting metal stuff in the ground. The new area I'd outlined on map, was getting responses a couple places for graves, but not here in these pics. Obviously once a settlement, should be some interesting finds.

No, I had not disturbed anything.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, when checking for metal or treasure, wasn't getting anything for all 3 pics. Then after wondered if you tried the dowsing experiment we talked about in the other thread.

Piratemap7-forested-Area-a1-B.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

piratemap7

Nov 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Ok, when checking for metal or treasure, wasn't getting anything for all 3 pics. Then after wondered if you tried the dowsing experiment we talked about in the other thread.

Ok, so no metal at all then? Not even junk metals? I thought you said to cancel that experiment.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the new area, still probably isn't much of anything except more settlement.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so no metal at all then? Not even junk metals? I thought you said to cancel that experiment.
Junk possibly, not getting significant for metal detecting.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, you had a lot of patience with this place. I did get a copper hit now, but it is with the silver hit up in Weregolf's circle. Between his dot on left circle edge and red dot I made here.

Piratemap7-forested-Area-a1-B2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

piratemap7

Nov 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yes, you had a lot of patience with this place. I did get a copper hit now, but it is with the silver hit up in Weregolf's circle. Between his dot on left circle edge and red dot I made here.

View attachment 1905028

Red, thanks man. I appreciate all your help. Gold is all I really care about to be honest with you. I have found two of those iron hook looking things far apart in this forest. A guy in the "What is it?" forum mentioned logging and I think that is exactly what was happening here. You have contributed a great deal and I appreciate it. Take care of yourself.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread