What am I doing wrong?

Digum

Jul 24, 2008
Hi everyone. This is my first time to the forum. I'm a new member but I've been reading your posts for a while and I've learned alot. My Grandfather was a Y rod dowser, as was my Dad. Both located water, pipes, just about anything in the ground that they were asked to. They did it mostly out of necessity because they were country folks and didn't have the access to maps, computers, or educated people we have today. I am an L rod dowser. I've located coins, water, gas, electric, and water lines, open cavities, and a few odd things. I'm no expert by any means but I enjoy it and I keep trying. Some of you here have gotten me interested in map dowsing with a pendulum. I carved my first wooden pendulum out of an apple tree recently. I read that some people used wooden pendulums, and it was a nice evening project. I've ordered a couple brass pendulums, one solid and one chambered. I established the responses for "yes" "no" and then later "maybe" with this pendulum. The responses seem very clear. I realize "without knowing the scientific terms or reasons" that the mind is the main tool in dowsing, not the tool itself. I get better responses with my right hand than my left. I mentally picture the search area or structure, and the object I'm looking for when using the pendulum, just like with the rods. I made a hand drawn map of a neighboring farm. I established that there is a cache of coins buried in the ground near a certain structure. This seemed very likely, having known the original owner, who was a friend and is now deceased. I established distances from certain points, then depths. I kept getting the same responses of yes and no and established that the numbers "2" and "15" are very important. When asking distances, "and here's where the trouble begins", I ASSUMED the numbers "2" and "15" were feet. After alot of holes, nothing. I truly believe there are coins buried at this location, but if I'm one inch off that's enough to hide it. Is it possible there was a cashe here and at some point in time it was removed? The history of the farm is that the later owners, relatives of the people I believed may have buried the coins, might have dug them up. Sorry this is sooooo, long, but I need help. I'm tired of digging. Thanks

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,20850.0.html

You may want to try this…. A metallic pendulum attached by a wire will take on the charge of the hand it is being held by. A pendulum held by a nonconductive string will take on the charge of the last hand which held the pendulum. The pendulum when rotating above an object of a similar charge will continue to rotate and eventually swing back and forth perpendicular to the object. This pendulum when rotating above an object of the opposite charge will start to swing back and forth parallel to the object being dowsed. Caution here when dowsing an object you have touched the object will usually take on the charge of the last hand that touched it. This can be demonstrated by dowsing over an object such as a table knife depending on which hand touched the knife last an opposite reaction of the dowsing device will be seen.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask the pendulum if the valuables have been recovered.
When your were originally searching, didn't you specify the distance measurements? inches? feet? yards? If you didn't, then how did you arrive at a location? :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
D

Digum

Jul 24, 2008
I did ask if the object has been removed. The response is that it has not been. When determining location "distances" from certain structures, I did originally ask the distance questions in feet. I dug at the locations that I was given. I kept recieving the numbers "2ft" and "15ft". I recieved positive responses on these numbers "distances" multiple times by asking if the object I am looking for is more than is 50ft, 40ft, 30ft, 20ft, from a certain structure. All responses are "no". I then asked the same same question for 10ft and recieved a positive "yes" response. So it has to be between 10ft and 20ft. I then asked if the object was 11, 12, 13, or 14ft from the structure with "no" responses. 15ft gave a "yes" response. I did the same from 19ft down to 16ft and all are "no" and once again 15ft gave a positive "yes". I did the same in determining the 2ft depth response. Process of elimination. So I must be off on the direction because I continually get the numbers "2" and "15". That's why I was wondering if I could be getting inches when I was asking for feet. That's also why I asked the question about the object possibly being removed. Since I didn't locate the object after allot of digging, I think it might have knocked my confidence in the dirt I was digging. So I might have began second guessing my answers. Not being used to the pendulum at all, I'm wondering if aarthrj3811 might have a very good point too. I have changed hands some. I get tired of holding the pendulum up. I'll try with my positive side "my right side" when I'm in a different mood. Hopefully tommorrow. I have three sets of L rods and with each set there is a left hand rod and right hand rod. They don't give good responses in the wrong hands. If I cut a Y rod I have to determine which side is left and right before I use it. It's all about positive and negitive ya know.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In your original post, you mentioned that you are an L-rod dowser. Have you checked your readings with an L-rod? If you've had reliable results with your L-rods, why change? You CAN map dowse with an L-rod and a pointer or straight edge. If you really, really want to hang in with the pendulum, then keep practicing and find your own technique(s). aarthrj3811 sounds like an experienced user.

Good luck.

OP
OP
D

Digum

Jul 24, 2008
Shortstack I do use L rods and occasionally Y rods. I have not searched the area with rods. It would be very hard. One reason is some of the area I believe the cache to be is covered with around 200 1000 lb rolls of hay and they aren't going anywhere for awhile. Most of the other area is covered with greenbriars is very snakey. I had to go into the area I believe the cache to be, on an ATV, then with a weed eater clear a long path just to get in, then clear the area to dig. Even after clearing the ground , I have to move around on my hands and knees and dig the same way because of the overhanging briars and tree limbs. This is not an easy dig. I cannot move around the area and hold the rods. A metal detector is of no use here because of all the nails and scraps of metal, not counting what obstructions I've just mentioned. I removed an entire iron pipe gate that was 8 inches underground where I dug. This structure was a garage style building, used as the farm workshop, so you can imagine what metal was dropped and thrown down and is now in the ground. That's why I'm trying the map and pendulum. I may try the map and rods. I've never used them that way, only in the field.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Hey Digum…..I ask the map 3 questions before I start Dowsing it….My I, Can I, and Should I dowse this map. If any of the answers are no I will try it later. When I am done with a map I say thank you. When I check for depth I ask, is ( whatever it is) more than 1 foot deep. I then ask it again rising the depth by 1 foot. I raise the depth until I get a no answer. I then subtract 1 foot and ask if it is 6 inches deeper.
For me map dowsing gets me in the area. I then use the rods to zero in on it. I have saw others use a pendulum. You should practice with the pendulum. Start with known targets and see how it reacts. When you think you know what it is telling you practice on unknown targets. …Art

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digum--
Normally, a single L-rod is used to map dowse. The method I've seen is to use both L-rods to ask if your target is in the area represented by the map. Once you have your map verified, then use a single rod and a straight edge or a pointer. Hold the rod in your most favored hand and slide the straight edge over the map from one edge toward its opposite edge, slooowly while asking the rod if your target is somewhere along the leading edge of the straight edge. When you get a positive reaction, thank the rod, then start the straight edge from a different edge of the map. Preferably from a right angle to the line you've drawn in the previous step. Keep asking the rod if your target is somewhere along the leading edge of your straight edge as you're slooowly bringing it across the map. When you get a positive reaction, draw a line the length of the ruler. The point where the two lines cross will give you the sight you're after. Double and triple-check by changing the angle of the straight edge for 2 or 3 more moves.

Have you checked out this site before? www.dowsers.org/ This is a very interesting site and has a LOT of info links.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digum,

Here's a simple test test for pendulum dowsing. Take a deck of cards and remove one suit (lets say the diamonds), Ace through 10. So you have 10 cards. Shuffle them thoroughly, face down. Remove one card at random, still face down, and place it on a table. Use the pendulum and determine the value of the card using whatever method you want. Check your result, and record your dowsed value and the actual value. Replace the card with the other 9 diamonds and thoroughly reshuffle. Repeat this exercise, say, 10 times. How many times was you dowsing correct? When you can successfully dowse the cards' values with a high rate of success, you are ready for map dowsing. Make sure you keep good records of ALL your results, good or bad, so you don't mislead yourself.

- Carl

OP
OP
D

Digum

Jul 24, 2008
Art I believe you hit on a very good point about the three questions. I think I've been rushing the pendulum a little too much and trying to use it no matter my mood. You also mentioned saying thank you. I was doing this at first and I did seem to get stronger responses, then for some reason, probably back to the rushing it thing, I quit doing that. I'll try using one L rod and the ruler over the map Shortstack. I've been using a pointer instead of a ruler. I knew about the ruler from reading here but I thought you are supposed to use two rods. Carl that's a great way to test one's abilities, and I'm sure not only build up those abilities, but also to build confidence too. I know from the rods that confidence of "can I" is very important. I've been treasure hunting with a metal detector for a few years with very good results. I've been using rods for many years to locate water, electric lines, coins, and some other things, but never treasure caches. That got me into researching local treasure rumers and myths. I've put in allot of miles, knocked on allot of doors, and drug my way thru allot of greenbriars doing this research. Most of the information doesn't exist on paper or the computer, just memories, hearsay, and word of mouth from the locals. I've learned along the way that treasure doesn't mean strictly something for profit. Treasure can also be the journey to locating something of importance, or something of interest. It took me one year to locate my greatest find and it didn't reward me with one penny, but the satisfaction and memories of that find will last my lifetime. So now I'd like to try map dowsing. I think this is just one more step "up" the treasure hunting ladder. I appreciate everyones help. I want to learn this and I've always been a firm believer that if you want to know something, go ask those who already do.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Hey Digum….There are many way’s to map Dowse. Find the one that works best for you. I prefer to use Squares for dowsing. I ask the question of the whole map or photo. I then divide it into 4 sections and number them. I ask the question to each of the 4 sections. The section with the yes answer is again divided into 4 sections and I start again. When I get it down to a ¼ inch square it is close enough for me…Art

OP
OP
D

Digum

Jul 24, 2008
I've been trying the card detection "RV" the way Carl explained it. I don't know how hard this is for anyone else, but man, this is a hard one for me. It makes my brain hurt. I'd have to agree with you Mike that the cards are not the same as looking for an object. At least not for me. The cards are such a mental focus thing that I can't have any distractions. I'll keep trying though. I seem to do so much better outside doing the actual physical search, whether it's something I've put on the ground or something I'm searching for unseen and underground. I'm much more relaxed in the field. But then I've done that for a long time, and the map is new to me. I did some of Arts search methods outside today with rods and I was extremely accurate. But once again, that was physical objects outside, and physical objects that I could see. I like the 4-square map idea. Reducing the area size, the process of elimination. I hope in time I'll relax a little more over the map. I hope you don't need a 180 IQ to do map dowsing. If you do, I'm cooked.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike's suggestion has merit. Instead of taking a single card and trying to determine its value*, lay all the cards face down (well-shuffled) and try to dowse where the Ace is. This is more like map dowsing, where you are trying to locate the position of something that is not visible.

- Carl

*Although this still is dowsing... you are using a dowsing device to ask questions about an unknown. Almost exactly like the way some folks dowse the sex of a baby.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW, if you are having trouble with 10 cards, back off to 4 cards. Perhaps some other map dowsers could try this as well, and everyone compare results.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Hey Mike..I think you are right about the card dowsing. My program only has 4 possible answers….Yes, no, I don’t know and danger. When going down the road at 60 MPH the rod will not turn. I feel the pull for a brief moment. I turn around and come back at 30 MPH until the rod turns. If the area is of interest to me I look harder at it and if not I don’t stick around…Art

OP
OP
D

Digum

Jul 24, 2008
Mike when you're using one rod and holding your left hand in the manner you described, you mentioned that you get a sensation in your left palm. How is your rod reacting toward the target? I used one rod yesterday while practicing some of Arts methods. First time. It was very accurate. I can't tell you what my left hand was doing though. Using two rods, my outside rod, the one farthest from the target, always turns toward the target, telling me to physically move my body that direction. The single rod pointed toward the target no matter the direction. Using Arts "S" practice method really made it clear that the single rod followed the target. --- Ya'll have given me allot of different practice ideas with cards and maps. Being new to the pendulum, my results are better with rods than a pendulum. In the field I'm relaxed with rods. I make my sweep and picture in my mind what I'm looking for. It's kind of a relaxed consentration, a pleasant kind of feeling, like nothing else matters at the time. I don't force a visual target in my mind. I just see my target in my mind, say it in my mind, and search. Usually I don't say or ask anything outloud. I simply know what I want to search for and do it. Not real deep huh? But it works for me. I have a question on this concerning the use of cards and maps. Do you go to great efforts to visualize the intended card or map area while asking a question, or do you use a more relaxed method like I do in the field? I hope this makes sense.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike(Mont) said:
Whenever you ask a series of questions, error is bound to creep in. You could ask a yes/no question for each card: Is this the ace? Is this the king?, etc. More questions, more chance for errors. Al Rossmiller taught to use two or three pennys with only one head-up. Then you say "Nothing can resonate except the heads-up.

Again, Mike's suggestion has merit. With all 10 cards laid face down say, "Nothing can resonate except the Ace."

Here's something else to try: lay the cards face up, so you can see what they are. Then see whether you can correctly dowse with the pendulum.

- Carl

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
OK Digum….Last winter I map dowsed a 30 mile area around my house. I came up with 2 gold veins, some gold coins and a nugget field. The 2 gold veins are being worked by gravel companies and the gold coins have been recovered. The nugget field is up the river about 15 miles on a nasty jeep road. This nugget field included a 3 oz. nugget. I could not get to a spot in the cardinal directions that was close enough to use two rods. That left me one choice and it was using one rod. I choose a park NE of the target. I sweep the area with a baited rod. During this sweep I was thinking about a movie I had saw. After I determined the direction of the hit I then started to ask questions. Times like this are the only time that I think about what I am doing. You are doing a great job of experimenting but don’t let us over load you with information. The main thing is to store everything you are told and use what works for you. Some day you will need that information you have received…..Art

OP
OP
D

Digum

Jul 24, 2008
Mike(Mont) said:
The field around the target may be detected six feet from the target or even more. By this I mean the rod will have a bit of resistance when you sweep through the field edge. This is where the polarity changes and is usually easier to detect than the target itself (Remember I am talking about the sweep method). So you can try to look for both edges of the field.

OK, here's where I "don't" want to get into trouble. I realize this is NOT a topic for the discussion of metal detectors. That's not why I'm here, but I see a similarity that helps put rod reaction into perspective for me. You mentioned the polarity changes around the target called the field when using rods. There is a field around objects "in the ground" called a halo, that a metal detector locates before locating the target itself. That's why the X sweep method is used to locate the target within the halo. The size of this halo sometimes depends on the length of time the target has been in the ground. What type of metal the target is, target depth, and the type soil it's in, can also affect the halo. When using rods the polarity changes above ground as you sweep the fields edge. This is basically a "halo above the ground" right? So can the length of time this target has been in the ground, the type of metal it is, target depth, and the type soil it's in, also affect the size of the "above ground" field or halo?

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
OK …Here’s where I disagree. I believe that the halo always comes to the surface at a 45 degree angle and is determined by the depth of the object. There is also many rings around the object which some people and equipment can detect. When I walk a line for a hundred feet and have many signals I go back and check them. When 3 or 4 and sometimes more of them are evenly spaced you know some of them are false signals or rings. I always pick the middle one to follow. Most of the time it is the right one. As long as you are aware of this fact it is no problem. Most dowsers I know do not pick up the rings. I have lost track of how long this experiment has been going on. I think I am in year 9. I buried 3 oz of gold nuggets 4 feet deep. When I think it has been ten years I am going to dig them up. When I go to that spot one year after I dig them I will know if there is still a signal……Art

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread