BenThereDoneThat

Feb 27, 2008
Apache Junction, AZ
Detector(s) used
MXT 300 / Javelina Gold Trommel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jog said:
Has any one built a trommel and had success with it?

I have...........worked out so well i started up a company manufacturing them. I can run a suction dredge with it also
www.wildboarprospecting.com

Attachments

• Javelina Gold Trommel copy.jpg
    Javelina Gold Trommel copy.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,743
  • Wild Boar Card.jpg
    Wild Boar Card.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 1,577

montgomeryjrm

Nov 28, 2007
Gainesville, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab ex II, Whites eagle II, Whites spectrum xlt
Me and my dad built out of an old hotwater heater tank, and some scrap metal and a 9 HP briggs and stratton. Damn thing worked good too. :hello2:

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Ive been working on the idea of building one myself. I checked out the one one the posting that the guy sells and I would buy that 12" one in a heart beat if I had the money. If you get started on one share your tials and tribulations on it and I will help with any thing that I can.

Ian

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now I am in the process of building a dredge-camping type trailer. This trailer will haul my 4" and my 2" dredge and everything else that I will need for weeks of dredging. Also will be used for camping gear.Will also have a sink and 3 burner stove too cook on when camping.
Will probably get around to building a trommel this summer or maybe next winter.

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
Sounds like you have alot of projects..........I bought an old 83 Blazer that I am rebuilding and outfitting for treasure hunting and I have bought a old camping 18' trailer that I will get restored by spring. Making a family outing combo. I think I am going to buy a hi banker or dredge for this year and the trommel thing will get done next winter.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
surfin...
Got any pics of your project?

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
The trommel? Not yet I am still drawing and gathering materials. I hope to get to it before the snow breaks.

As for the other projects I havent even thought to take any pics. I should do that and get them posted.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pics of my camp-dredge trailer.

Attachments

• IMG_0896.JPG
    IMG_0896.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,337
  • IMG_0892.JPG
    IMG_0892.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 902
  • IMG_0894.JPG
    IMG_0894.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 913

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
Wow. That rocks! You obviously have a higher skill level than myself when it comes to that stuff. How do you like that dredge?

I was thinking about buying a welder and teching myself this year. I just dont have the time. Im trying to start two side business's my fiancee is starting a business and on top of it I have my military job that keeps me really buisy.

I would kill for just 5 uninterupted hours to work on my projects. But I have to take my parts as I get them the way I want to someone and then I am at there mercy until they can get to it.

Anyhow trailer looks great. If I had something like that behind my blazer I would be able to get that right up close to any spot I wanted.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
surfin...
It's getting there! I still have a lot of work left to do. The welder I have is just a little 110 version. You can pick them up pretty cheep. Once you start doing some welding you will wonder how you ever got by with out one. I will post some more pics when I get a little further along. jog

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
So what is it that you do for a living? Have you had much success out there? Im a Range Operations Officer for the Guard full time. Im always trying to get to know new people because you never know where you are going to get sent next.

It almost seems that you could make a camper on top of that platform. Is that what your going to do? Or are you going to use it to haul everything else up top? Im not sure what outings are like do you go out for a week or two or just day trips?

I bet all the members from Cali are starting to crowd your spots?

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
serfin
I am a journeyman tree trimmer but am not working now. Also have done a lot of welding and fabricating on and off over the years.
The top of the trailer is going to be for hauling all the dredge and camp gear. Have more to build on the back end, might get it done this weekend.
Just finished all my paper work on two mining claims that my girlfriend and I claimed. Just waiting for the papers from BLM.
I haven't seen a lot of cali, but then I'm a little new to all of this. I think they are closer to the border, I'm way up northern Oregon.
When I get this project done I will post some pics on here. jog

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
Jog,
Hey I was wondering if you can do me a huge favor? I am switching from a trommel to a small stream dredge. I have never used a dredge and I havent even seen one up close. I understand the principle of it all but I wanted to see the chamber were the gravels come in from the hose to the box. Can you seend me some pics the next time you drag that thing out? Only reason for the switch is that I was given a great place to go in a small gravel bottom over clay creek and I probably have 90% of what I need to build one.I need to be able to carry it on my back for at least a 1/2 mile over flat terrian and be able ot get it in and out of a stream no problem by my self.

So you guys bought a claim? How cool is that? Wish I could do that here, the only problem this is all glacial drift and average depth to bed rock is forever deep. I have to drive about 3-4 hours to get into better terrian. As it turns out there is alot of powder gold on the beaches of lake superior and I thought a light weight dredge could float behind me as I work some spot. Just a thought.

There are gold claims up in the U.P. of michigan but I havent heard of any ever being for sale. Anyhow have fun today I am going to go work on my truck.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
serfin...
Ask and you shall receive!

Attachments

• IMG_0900.JPG
    IMG_0900.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,080
  • IMG_0899.JPG
    IMG_0899.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,101
  • IMG_0898.JPG
    IMG_0898.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,109
OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And more!

Attachments

• IMG_0901.JPG
    IMG_0901.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 1,081
  • IMG_0902.JPG
    IMG_0902.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,065
  • IMG_0904.JPG
    IMG_0904.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,074
OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
serfin...
Some of those measurements are hard to read so let me know if you can't see them. Hope this helps, this is off my 2" Keene backpack dredge so if you had a small Keene sluice these measurements may be right on.

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
Sweet.......I can read all the measurements and it explains alot to me. I was playing around all weekend will some old PVC and sheet metal that I had and built part of a sluice for it that will float. I am going to go pick up a motor from a guy that has alot junk in his barn later today if the snow lets up. I am trying to figuer out the best type of riffle system to put in it and I decided to just pay the money for a piece of miners moss.

Unfortunatly some friends used up my whole sunday taking us snowmobiling which was fun but now Jen wants me to go by some sleds. Im afraid she's going to be out of luck.

Thanks for the pics they were awsome............

Ian

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will have to show me some pics when you get it done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread