West Georgia Gold

kilnmaint

Apr 3, 2009
Homewood, Al
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Went to a small creek near Buchanan, Georgia last Friday after Thursdays' rain and before Saturdays'!! Big floods mover all the gravel around in the creek. I put my 3" in below a small 3" waterfall. I planned to longarm instill the knee busted out of my waders!! Then I got my wetsuit and air and got right in. I ran a couple of tanks of gas and got out before a rain shower hit. Got some gold but no big pieces. There are four shooting houses within sight of the creek so prospecting is over till hunting seasonout!!

Attachments

• dredge 1 8-30.jpg
    dredge 1 8-30.jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 3,008
  • gold 10-9-09.jpg
    gold 10-9-09.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 2,034

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hunting season will put a damper on prospecting.

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks real nice to me!! I'd love to get my 4" into there!

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey kiln,watch out for other goodies out that way.i found a very rare point out that way that an expert told me was a museum quality piece.plus other tools implements and pottery.not to mention stones.

OP
OP
kilnmaint

kilnmaint

Apr 3, 2009
Homewood, Al
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Strick,
I try to keep an eye out for artifacts but haven't had any luck yet. I went back to the spot in the photo one more time before cold weather . I put in 30 feet above and got into some good hardpack before I reached too far down into a crack and filled my new waders!! Come warm weather I plan to clean that spot out looking for the "deep" hole in a shallow creek.

A friend of mine has land near Byron, Ga where he has picked up numerous points and tools. He want me to dredge the creek , but I don't know how i can hold the points in the sluice box. Any ideas?

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i got lucky and have found a few behind the riffles.i have seen people put a basket behind the sluice also.

ok2raise

Dec 30, 2008
here
Detector(s) used
DEALER OF Garrett, & Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try putting screen box behind your dredge using 1/4 mess like i did to find the fariy crosses. its best to have some help keeping the screen clean out . it works just a lot of work . im going to try it down at buchanann to see what happens when the weather breaks :headbang:

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also ,i found a civil war bullet there as well.but esp. when in that area watch for gold with maganese coating (black gold) i have a few nuggetts there that were hard to tell that they were gold .the first one i found was the size a pencil earaser and 90 pecent black ,i cleaned it up -it looked a little better -but when i put it in my vial,it would turn back black.one spot on it did show gold.frustrated at this i melted it down-using borax and alchohol to shield the gold -when it was melted (waving my flame as not to get it too hot)i used a graphite stick (bought from prospectors pouch on 41)to pull out the slag and impurities.it worked pretty good but i did lose a little weight .due to impurities.

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
haralson county is very UN-derestimated .

OP
OP
kilnmaint

kilnmaint

Apr 3, 2009
Homewood, Al
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Strick,
i have two coffee cans of black sand . I have panned thwem and ran them through a spiral wheel. Would it be worthwhile to try to melt it with a torch? I have a magnet from a dial indicator that will pull the magnetics out. I have a cutting torch and a weed burner at the shop. Any ideas

ok2raise

Dec 30, 2008
here
Detector(s) used
DEALER OF Garrett, & Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kilnmaint the weed tourch doesnt work well i used one of these to put down & melt rubber roof even it wont keep it hot enough all the time & when you use the blower it will blow your gold everywhere.

I believe , might be wrong, that their is a mother load that hasnt been found yet with in 25 miles of buchanan.
i have said this before that ive found the same amount of gold their that ive found in dalohonaga ga . ive only been dredging their for a yr now their several creeks id like to check out around the area

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok,that is a very good area-i used to have several places that were good but through the years don't have anywhere to go out that way without being in gpa.wish i had access to some of those creeks!that is a whole lot closer than dahlonaga.i'm in villa -rica.kiln,you can smelt your b.s. but you need a flux you can make one home-ade some where on here i posted how maybe i can find it.another option and easier is to dry your b.s.put in a metal pan or something else-heat till good and hot (stay up wind in case of mercury vapors) DO NOT BREATH THE FUMES !!!!!then pour in cold water ,this will cause thermal shock fracturing the b.s. 's releasing more gold -also the b.s.'s will be smaller and easier to separate.research roasting black sands .to get familiar with it.and as aways be careful when heating gold/concentrates or black sands. hope this helps

Arid-Zone-A-seeker

Jan 26, 2010
High Country Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Tesoro LOBO Supertrac, Garrett Infinium,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there, My Dad and uncle Frank, used to tumble the black sand and sulphids with red devil lye, and clinkers,( rocks about the size of your fist) in a metal grease bucket, and then work them. Alot of it is gold!

fortunate

Sep 9, 2007
Alaska
Detector(s) used
garrett master hunter ads 7, excalibur 1000, whites gmt, compass 77b yukon prospector
Wow...Georgia?...Nice!....You gotta love it when that small stuff starts adding up...WTG...Fortunate

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there is a lot in that general area,i have seen some very nice pieces come from there.my first ounce came from those creeks!i kept the nuggetts and melted the fines down to make a 1 oz. pendant.this is my pride and joy -i work very hard for that 1st oz.-a lot of panning ,dredging,separating,then cleaned it up,melted it,cast it ,polished it .......done it all start to finish.the hard way-----but i would not sell it for any amount of money-i have more work in it than the next couple of ozs. put together.as you keep doing this you will find that after the 1st oz. the next is a lot easier.

Attachments

• rock salt nugget.jpg
    rock salt nugget.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 1,371
  • rock salt nugget.jpg
    rock salt nugget.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 1,156
OP
OP
kilnmaint

kilnmaint

Apr 3, 2009
Homewood, Al
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Strick,
i tried heating the black sands. Got a cast iron pot and held a cutting torch on it for 10 minutes or so. Had a glowing red spot on that sucker where ever I held the torch. Popped loud when i dumped it in the water!! Got a half dozen or so fines out of it by running back through my Desert Fox.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions