Apr 16, 2013
Nampa, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Actually, Schedule 40 PVC is a more resilient, longer lasting than I had thought. I had created a straight through classifier some time ago, that is still in use and shows no signs of wear. BUT, you are probably right because of the function and location. The reason I had used PVC... easier and faster to process on my CNC machine.

TheEquineFencer

Mar 31, 2012
Farmville,NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
equinefencer, is that your nozzle? or something you found on youtube?

It's my nozzle. Sorry for the late reply, I just found this post again. IT works pretty damn good from what my buddy says. As soon as the creeks go down enough we plan to run my nozzle and HB'r against his in the same area and see who gets what.

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
equine, id like to make a 4in version of that or even a 6" for my new dredge im building this year and see how that sucker works

SmokeyNC

Mar 15, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Intake Degree

To get a I-J to really pull, you need a 15* taper at the water injection point. To make the opening adjustable is a PITA.

Hello, if a 45 degree intake is preferred should it be angled left <--- or right ---> given water and suction are right ~~~>? I assume water pressure should push right but can't find an answer.

~~What size machine is needed to move, in one scoop, a bucket the size of the NC piedmont? Why ask a question so emense when the thought is not fathomable?~~

SmokeyNC

Mar 15, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Started originally to investigate a Vortxrex dry land dredge nozzle, apparently someone else also did the same. While I got sort of excited over the prospect of suctioning dirt/slurry with less effort than most methods, I overlooked the truckload of hoses, pumps, supports, poles, guy wires, and probably a trailer, truck, ATV, etc. Mind you, this is a great device, but not suitable for one or two people to comfortably handle with all of the ancillary devices attached to it. Unless time is not an issue.

But I did build a modified Couple/Infinity Jet from PVC. Granted, equipment helps. I used a CNC machine to create parts in short order with little or no real effort. The total cost was under $45, after buying some parts at Habitat Re-Use Store in Raleigh, NC. I aim to place the jet between the power log and the sluice as a "booster" to increase suction and throughput. The rig is a 6.5 HP engine driving a Keene P-195, attached to a four inch power log. I did set the gap at 1/8" to start, can adjust later. The case is a 6 inch PVC pipe with 4 inch throughput. I could not have attempted this without the resources of TN.

Here are some images of the nozzle parts and assembly -

Input end
View attachment 1262643

Six inch end cap machined for a press fit of the four inch throughput pipe
View attachment 1262644

With a six inch cavity, I saw no reason to angle the input. Added two layers of pipe
to thicken and support the water input. Bolted and glued, PVC.
View attachment 1262645

Both nozzle parts were cut to 11 - 13 degrees.
View attachment 1262647 View attachment 1262648

Assembled unit. I never could get neat with the purple solvent.
To adjust the gap I simply move the output end cap, which moves
the internal parts. Apply a few screws to the end cap to secure the
position, and you're done. Weighs in at about 7 pounds.

View attachment 1262650

Hello, I can't see your pictures. Can you repost?

TheEquineFencer

Mar 31, 2012
Farmville,NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
equine, id like to make a 4in version of that or even a 6" for my new dredge im building this year and see how that sucker works

From what I've found from actually running my nozzle with a 16 inch wide HB'r, I'm still running too deep, I need a wider box because of so much flow...I'm guessing I'm flowing as much as a 4 inch...

I'm working on getting the manufacturing/machining down a little better, more efficient so I can afford to build and sell them. Making the cones is a real PITA and a few other process it takes. I've got a machinist buddy that just retired coaching me on the machining aspect right now. It's a PITA to make everything line up without having to "tweak" it to get it right.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread