Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keene or Proline? Looking to buy a 2.5 or 3" Highbanker Dredger combo

Hi All,

I need some advice from those who've been there done that, tried it...

I currently own a Keene 4" mini dredge and love it! But it's a 2-person load/unload from my ATV trailer. I'm heading out to some areas in Alaska by myself (yes, I have a .44 mag and a .40 Springfield Arms, just in case) and I need a unit that I can manage by myself (I'm a lady, but strong!) when I'm out there during the week. My finace will join me on the weekends when he's not working.

So, my question is: Keene or Proline, 2.5" or 3"? I'd like to use it as a dredge and/or sluice depending on the spot I choose to setup' in. The water depth is anywhere from 1' to 3' at best. I don't (yet) use a diving system, I just longarm it.

I understand the Proline uses a powerjet whereas the Keene must use a suction nozzle with second hose connected to the nozzle, more cumbersome because of the second long hose to manhandle.

The Keene's sprayer system is set lower in the hopper box, the Proline is higher; does this make a difference in washing clay or other materials?
Please post your comments, all are welcome and appreciated.

OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Keene or Proline? Looking to buy a 2.5 or 3" Highbanker Dredger combo

russau said:
i would prefer Proline!built better/stronger.

Thanks! I'm leaning towards the Proline but not sure if I should spend the extra $570 on the 2.5" combo. Would you know what advantages I'd have with the 2.5" (2.5HP vs 4HP) motor...probably the biggest advantage...

I'm only going to use it when I'm alone and can't manage my 4" dredge by myself.

Thanks!
Angie

ok2raise

Dec 30, 2008
here
Detector(s) used
DEALER OF Garrett, & Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You can also get a power jet with the 2.5 keene . the suction nossle is great for shallow dredging.where sometime you have to lift the end out of the water you dont have to work about loosing prime
Have you tryed the screen behind the dredge yet?

OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ok2raise said:
You can also get a power jet with the 2.5 keene . the suction nossle is great for shallow dredging.where sometime you have to lift the end out of the water you dont have to work about loosing prime
Have you tryed the screen behind the dredge yet?

Hi there,

Really, I couldn't find one set up like that. You know, I have the suction nozzle on my Keene 4" mini dredge, and will loose prime if I pull the nozzle out of the water. Please help me understand the difference between the two. I don't have two hoses on my Keene leading to my nozzle, just one. So I'd say i have the power jet, right? I don't want two manage two hoses, just one...kind of makes it easier, wouldn't you think?

I have yet to try the screen behind the dredge as we are still in a deep freeze up here til at least mid May ;-(. I'm excited about spring! Thanks for your help. Angie

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

#1- PROLINE #1-none better. A suction nozzle is usually for low water situations due to it's ability to suck air and refill the hose easily with only a momentary loss of suction. A powerjet demands water all the time and requires it to have the jetlog underwater to preserve prime. You can highbank with a PJ BUT connect it to a 3' pices a hose to the hibanker to keep it underwater BUT it will eat that hose up in about a 1,000 hours or so of use. K hib requires 2 men to run or loss is over 50% and Proline 1 sooo-party on and tons a au 2 u 2 -John :read2:

OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hoser John said:
#1- PROLINE #1-none better. A suction nozzle is usually for low water situations due to it's ability to suck air and refill the hose easily with only a momentary loss of suction. A powerjet demands water all the time and requires it to have the jetlog underwater to preserve prime. You can highbank with a PJ BUT connect it to a 3' pices a hose to the hibanker to keep it underwater BUT it will eat that hose up in about a 1,000 hours or so of use. K hib requires 2 men to run or loss is over 50% and Proline 1 sooo-party on and tons a au 2 u 2 -John :read2:
Being a newbe to the highbank process, what do you mean by connecting the PJ to a 3' piece of hose to keep it under water? How will it eat up the hose? Thanks for the clarification. Angie

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

power jet is blasting the gravel mix at ungodly pressure and compare it to a monster sandblaster and will eat that hose up!!!John

OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hoser John said:
power jet is blasting the gravel mix at ungodly pressure and compare it to a monster sandblaster and will eat that hose up!!!John

Thanks again for your input, your description describes it well.

Ang

CGC Miner

Nov 18, 2010
High Rockies
Detector(s) used
GB2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The proline has a power jet. Essentially a metal tube that attaches the end of your dredge hose to the header box. The power jet has a intake to receive high pressure water from your pump. This high pressure water entering the power jet creates a vacuum and sucks water and material up your nozzle and through your hose. If the power jet isn't mostly underwater, it can lose prime. This means that it will lose the vacuum and will not suck water up the nozzle. It can be tough to get the system re-primed but the biggest problem is that when prime is lost, high pressure water still enters the power jet and sprays out wildly into your sluice box, effectively blowing out your already hard dredged concentrates.
The 3ft hose they are talking about is just an extension between the power jet and header box, to help keep the power jet below water, and primed.

What I like about the 3"keene is that it has a bigger and adjustable hopper while the proline doesn't, making it better for highbanking. But I think that both of the 2.5" models have fixed hoppers so you might be better off with the proline since it will effectively suck more gravel than a suction nozzle. Also with a fixed hopper in the 2.5"keene you will have to get out of the water and rake rocks off of the grizzly bars. I have used the 3" keene extensively by myself and with the hopper set at near it's steepest angle while dredging it will keep mostly clear of rock but you still need to keep an eye on it. I actually like the extra classification in fine gold country, but if your area is know for nuggets a power jet is the way to go. I've never tried removing the grizzlies on the keene which would eliminate the extra screening, but I have a feeling that rocks would build up in the top of the box??
CGC

OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CGC Miner said:
The proline has a power jet. Essentially a metal tube that attaches the end of your dredge hose to the header box. The power jet has a intake to receive high pressure water from your pump. This high pressure water entering the power jet creates a vacuum and sucks water and material up your nozzle and through your hose. If the power jet isn't mostly underwater, it can lose prime. This means that it will lose the vacuum and will not suck water up the nozzle. It can be tough to get the system re-primed but the biggest problem is that when prime is lost, high pressure water still enters the power jet and sprays out wildly into your sluice box, effectively blowing out your already hard dredged concentrates.
The 3ft hose they are talking about is just an extension between the power jet and header box, to help keep the power jet below water, and primed.

What I like about the 3"keene is that it has a bigger and adjustable hopper while the proline doesn't, making it better for highbanking. But I think that both of the 2.5" models have fixed hoppers so you might be better off with the proline since it will effectively suck more gravel than a suction nozzle.
CGC
Thanks for clearing that up, I was uncertain where the 3' hose is supposed to go. I may go with the proline...I have time yet since our season doesn't start up here til late May. Thanks for your input on a Keene compared to the Proline. ;-(. Ang

Kev NC

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2006

If you have a winch on the front of your ATV you should be able to use it to load and unload your dredge by yourself. Just carry a couple 6 inch wide boards along for a ramp. I load and unload a 4 and 5 inch dredge by myself all the time. To unload just unhook the trailer and use the ATV to drag the dredge off using ramps. To put it back on put the front of the ATV against the front of the trailer and use the winch to pull the dredge back up the ramp onto the trailer.

Kev

OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kev NC said:
If you have a winch on the front of your ATV you should be able to use it to load and unload your dredge by yourself. Just carry a couple 6 inch wide boards along for a ramp. I load and unload a 4 and 5 inch dredge by myself all the time. To unload just unhook the trailer and use the ATV to drag the dredge off using ramps. To put it back on put the front of the ATV against the front of the trailer and use the winch to pull the dredge back up the ramp onto the trailer.

Kev
Kev, I thought about doing this and I think it would work. Below is picture of my ATV, trailer and dredge as it is when we haul it out to the backcountry (7 miles). It would sure save us alot of $$.

Thanks,
Angie

Attachments

• Gold Dredgin Bachelor Creek 19 Jun 10  Jay & Angie.JPG
    Gold Dredgin Bachelor Creek 19 Jun 10 Jay & Angie.JPG
    506.9 KB · Views: 5,834
  • Gold Dredgin Bachelor Creek 19 Jun 10  Jay & Angie.JPG
    Gold Dredgin Bachelor Creek 19 Jun 10 Jay & Angie.JPG
    506.9 KB · Views: 1,201

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:P CGC at the highest setting your losing at least half the gold and without constant tending even more dredging onto them insipid grizzly bars--NO ,NEVER ,NO WAY JOSE-John

CGC Miner

Nov 18, 2010
High Rockies
Detector(s) used
GB2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Each of these units have their own advantages and disadvantages. It really comes down to personal preference and what you will be doing more of....highbanking or dredging. If you are going to be mostly dredging then the Proline is a better choice since it is set up with a power jet and is more like a real dredge. For highbanking I prefer the keene 3" because of its larger and adjustable hopper and for me it works just fine as a dredge, sure I need to look up at the grizzly bars to make sure they are clear every few minutes but since I'm usually in shallow water with the 3 it is no big deal.

Ang, you may be able to use your existing motor/pump from your 4" dredge on a 3".

My two cents :)

Just trying to help, good luck.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri

my 4 inch dredge sits on my trailer just like a boat. it has slots that the pontoons fit into. the slots are the same size/height as the pontoons to protect them from tree limbs and rocks that i may bump into. when i get to the creek i just back it into the water and float it off, and viseversa when loading unless i cant get to the creek, then i take it peice by peice down to the creek and assembel it there. its all connected by quick release pins ,so theres no tools needed to assemble/disassemble my dredge.works good for this ole man anyway!

OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CGC Miner said:
Each of these units have their own advantages and disadvantages. It really comes down to personal preference and what you will be doing more of....highbanking or dredging. If you are going to be mostly dredging then the Proline is a better choice since it is set up with a power jet and is more like a real dredge. For highbanking I prefer the keene 3" because of its larger and adjustable hopper and for me it works just fine as a dredge, sure I need to look up at the grizzly bars to make sure they are clear every few minutes but since I'm usually in shallow water with the 3 it is no big deal.

Ang, you may be able to use your existing motor/pump from your 4" dredge on a 3".

My two cents :)

Just trying to help, good luck.

CGC, I think I might just stick with my dredge and see if I can't use my wench on my ATV to load and unload, we're going to test it here at home and see how we can make it work. I'm still interested in a highbanker, maybe just a powersluice so i can grab the bank dirt to see what's in it.
Thanks for all your input and help, I love reading the advice I'm getting! You guys are great!
Ang

OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CGC, Hoser John, Kev, Russau, ok2raise,

Thanks for all of your input, suggestions and opinions. I wanted to let you know that I finally decided up on the Keene Highbanker, 2.5", 2.5HP combo. The reason I went with the smaller setup is because I need to be able to manage it by myself and ease of movement is important to me; it's also considered a great highbanker! Can't wait to get it.

Kev, I'm going to take your suggestion and try to load/unload my 4" dredge using my ATV winch, I think it'll work. I'll perfect it here at home then head to the gold fields!

Wish me luck!
Thanks again,
Ang

grc59eca

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2010

Kev NC said:

Kev

Hey Kev, sent you a PM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions