Dredge Hopper Or Header Box?

CharlieBitMe

Greenie
Apr 22, 2010
Given the daylight robbery prices for anything over 2" out there, I decided to build my own dredge. I already got my 3" trash pump. It's a noname, but with some luck it will hold out for a few years if I take care of it.

What I'm not sure about is whether to use a header box, or a hopper. The ideal setup would be light and would mate to my LeTrap. If you have tried both options I'd really appreciate suggestions as to what would work well with a 3" pump, and/or what not to do.

Cheers.
-GI

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
well in my opinion the choice between a crash box or a flair type of a header chossing the type of header depends on the creeks matrix. if its a heavy clay,or the gravels are heavily cemented together id go with the crashbox. if its lose gravel use the flair for your dredge.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Traffic cone will make a decent homie flair for your box. What predicates your box style also will be your ability to use a blaster nozzle to dissolve solids prior to induction into your system and conglomerate mix as russau has specified. Ifn' ya ain't blastn' ya ain't dredging. Keep the air out is the best solution to any mix and the Le Trap does have good retention BUT do not overload as adios the gold.Le Trap dredges work better with a suction nozzle than a pj as they(pj) mix with air prior to introduction into your box vs waay back at the nozzle tip utilizing the hose to assist in pre classification.. Play with it using small lead to learn it's ways and you'll be a much happier wealthier miner-tons a au 2 u 2 -John :hello2:

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Stronger suction with the flare style dredges although crash boxes serve a purpose as Russ commented.

Less severe plug ups also with the flare style. Have to be more careful and alert with the crashbox header, ah the plug ups.
sFun_doh2.gif

After using the flare dredges when they first came out and then going back for a short time and running a crashbox dredge, I really prefer the flare style dredges. :thumbsup:
But that is my own preference as they both work well and serve there purpose.

OP
OP
C

CharlieBitMe

Greenie
Apr 22, 2010
Great info. Thanks guys.

A flare definitely seems like the best solution for several reasons: it's easier to carry than a heavy header box/hopper and it should be easier to mate it to my LeTrap sluice. Does putting a strainer at the nozzle make sense, or is that a standard feature built into the nozzle? How about a strainer at the flare? The idea is to break up any clumps of clay that survived the journey from the nozzle through 20ft of hose without significantly impeding flow.

Do I need to worry about vibration caused by large stones hitting my LeTrap, or would that not be an issue if I go with a flare (the flow is coming in horizontally and not being dropped from a header box/hopper)? This will be a 3" dredge that can recirculate 300 gpm, do I have to worry about cavitation if I'm running a flare?

Cheers.

kiwi jw

May 8, 2006
Yep, Traffic cone makes a good flare. I have made a 2" a 3" & a 4" dredge set up.
Pics of my back packable 3" set up

backpask4.jpg

3inchbackpack2.jpg

backpack1.jpg

All this fits into my back pack

3inchinpackgear-1.jpg

3inchsetup2.jpg

2" crasher box type with classifier.

2inchdredge.jpg

4" dredge with traffic cone flare

4inchdredgesetup.jpg

4inchdredgelookingupriffleswithiron.jpg

4inchdredgeatohinamuririver.jpg

4inchdredgeatohinamuririve1r.jpg

Happy hunting

JW :thumbsup: :coffee2:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never --EVER-use any strainer of any kind on your nozzle as insanity prevails. Learn how to dredge properly and don'y jerry rig bs that absolutely kills your production,thats why you dredge,move more,much less work. You learned how to drive--you learned how to walk-you learned how to read--well learn how to dredge-And vibration is your friend and NOT your enemy,simply drop a nugget/lead weight on a pile of dirt in your pan and bump once real good and it disappears instantly and thats what ya want. Folks spend millions annually for shakers,classifiers,shot beds and such for their vibratory classification and yours is free :headbang: John

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kiwi jw,
What an awesome post! A traffic cone!!!!!!!! Way to go with that great idea! Your entire outfit looks super, how much does all of it weigh?

I purchased a 2" Keene in ~ 1992 and its classified as "backpackable". Fortunately I have a jackass to haul all of my gear as with the dredge, fuel, wet suit, camping equipment, food and everything else I throw in, it all comes in around 200 pounds. It takes me, as I am the jackass, three trips in and three trips out to move all this stuff and when the vertical drop/climb is 3,000' and/or when there is no trail it is all I can do to get in and out and I need a day or two to recover. Of Course I've not done that for a few years so now for a two week stay my pack weighs in at only 85 lbs, I'm still braying............63bkpkr

OP
OP
C

CharlieBitMe

Greenie
Apr 22, 2010
Hoser, I've seen too many instances with my friend's 2.5" where a rock with just the right profile makes it through the nozzle and ends up clogging someplace down the line (usually in a of rigid pipe section). He then has to put the dredge in idle and go dislodge that rock and if that doesn't work, turn off the dredge and start taking the hoses apart so that he can get the rock out. Unless there's some trick that not I'm aware of, there's no way you can control what kind of rocks enter through the nozzle. If you're using your fingers to strain, then that's no different than using a prong/fork at the nozzle to control the size of rocks that can enter. That's why I was assuming that the guys that design and build the nozzles make them somewhat tapered/cone shaped so that the intake diameter is a few tenths of an inch smaller than the diameter of the rest of the line.

Kiwi, beautiful setup man. What is the total weight of the backpack + hoses + nozzle + dredge pump? I'm not as strong as you, so I need to be careful with overloading my back :). Now, I just have to figure out where I can find myself a traffic cone. I like your choice of nozzle, what's the optimal diameter for the water jet line coming into the nozzle? My motor outlet diameter is 3".

Good stuff guys.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All nozzles have a ring or knurled edge to prevent oversize-most homie bs no. Simply put your hand over the nozzle and stop the flow a couple a times and away she goes or rapidly the same,last effort hold above waterline for a few seconds to gulp some air to dislodge. NEVER EVER RESTRICT YOUR NOZZLE :read2: educate and learn and prosper or forever be doomed to ignorance and NO GOLD---hmmmm which is worse--BOTH :icon_scratch: John

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oversize from the nozzle back, works wonders, or familiarize ones self with the rocks not to suck up.

Some have trouble with that but definitely never, not ever, use one of these. :icon_scratch:
NG.jpg

These are not approved by MACD (Miners Against Castrating Dredges) :laughing7:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plug ups are part of dredging....like peas and carrots,as said you kind of get an eye for what rocks will jam(usually triangle shaped ones)but no matter what you will have them.I agree dont put anything on your nozzle......I tried years ago,and had to cut it off in the field with a dull hack saw!

A jam pole is very nice for clearing jams,as most are in the Power Jet....if you are using a suction Nozzle as said you can usually lift the nozzle above the water,and free it.Be very careful or just dont smack your hose with a rock,as you will end up with holes

OP
OP
C

CharlieBitMe

Greenie
Apr 22, 2010
What do you guys recommend a suction nozzle or a power jet? A power jet creates better suction, which could be critical when dredging deeper. Still being able to break up the dirt with a blaster nozzle would be nice.

>Hoser John wrote: "What predicates your box style also will be your ability to use a blaster nozzle to dissolve solids prior to induction into your system and conglomerate mix as russau has specified. Ifn' ya ain't blastn' ya ain't dredging."

patches63

Jun 20, 2009
republic of trinity usa
Detector(s) used
gpx4500,gmt
you can run a blaster nozzle(s) with either configuration,pj or sn.off main engine,or auxilary if desired.like someone mentioned above,blasting the pack layer then sending up a suction nozzle hose gives best fine recovery,as areation done at max distance from recovery system.crash boxes too close to the riffles,stirring things up.a blaster nozzle could be just a second nozzle,like a fire nozzle.used to pulverize the hardpack prior to being sent up the dredge hose.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CharlieBitMe said:
What do you guys recommend a suction nozzle or a power jet? A power jet creates better suction, which could be critical when dredging deeper. Still being able to break up the dirt with a blaster nozzle would be nice.

>Hoser John wrote: "What predicates your box style also will be your ability to use a blaster nozzle to dissolve solids prior to induction into your system and conglomerate mix as russau has specified. Ifn' ya ain't blastn' ya ain't dredging."

Yea,your "blaster",doesnt have anything to do with your nozzle,mine comes off of my pump.
Actually suction nozzle provides better suction,but much over a 3" and its too much(the extra hose)IMHO

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:tongue3: Thanx much John as MACD was indeed good for the first chuckle a the day bud. A=P63--missed ya the other night at the meet and left messages---you ok???John :hello:

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hoser, need to take all the chuckles and laughs we can get as it is hard to come by with the ways thing are going for us.

Blasters are a true necessity, and the inside taper on them is of great importance for end pressure.
"Pulverize" as was already said and clean sweep that bedrock, and don't forget those cracks.
And every once in a while, a good tool to wake up your sluice tender without ever coming out of the water. :laughing7:

You've been blasted!!!

patches63

Jun 20, 2009
republic of trinity usa
Detector(s) used
gpx4500,gmt
liquify au bearing mud.tx very much.hj,no gas wasted that way.cadfg fos.refuse to drive for abuse by gov. pos contract crew.horizon my ass.the water runneth.,i work.the end result determined long ago,why bother with stofer the gofer.private contractor who reports directly to the dcadfg.speaks with forrrked toungue,listens not.his bread has been buttered,meetings a sham.im ok,ya oughta come uphill fer a bbq.luck all, :hello2:

patches63

Jun 20, 2009
republic of trinity usa
Detector(s) used
gpx4500,gmt
joel farmer,(the g-1 guy) makes a lovely blaster nozzle,two slightly offset jets piggybacking on a powerjet nozzle.like mine off of a secondary bank mounted pump.recent computer crash,looking fer pics.believe me,my attitude best kept away from from those meetings.have been writing and emailing two years tho.best wishes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread