LETTER FROM SEN, STEINBURG IN RESPONCE TO MY LETTER SUPPORT SB 657

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Can anybody tell me what is wrong with this letter???

SENATOR
DARRELL STEINBERG
PRESIDENT PRO TEMPORE
SIXTH SENATE DISTRICT

April 4. 2011
Sacramento. CA
Dear Mr.
Thank you for your recent communication in support of SB 657 (Gaines) which would repeal the restrictions on the use of vacuum or suction dredge equipment established by SB 670 in 2009. This bill would also refund permit holders from 2009 who were impacted when the season was cut short, and would allow dredging to begin again while an Environmental Impact Report (EIR) is completed, which would not comply with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).
SB 657 stems from a considerable legislative history of dredging in California. At the boom of the California Goldrush, miners began dredging to separate gold from mercury. However, years after hydraulic mining was no longer performed, mercury was found in river ecosystems, which has had serious consequences for water quality, fishing, and river ecology. Some dredgers argue that they are removing mercury through this process but it is possible that smaller particles are suspended in the water and may be carried downstream, increasing the possibility of the dangerous substance entering the food web. Methylmercury, the potent form of mercury most often found at dredging sites, has been known to impair the nervous system, especially in young children and fetuses. Due to a court order banning dredging, as well as CEQA regulations, dredging has been banned while the EIR is completed. The current EIR draft suggests further restrictions which need approval by the Department of Fish and Game.
This bill was introduced February 18. and on March 3 it was referred to the Committees on Natural Resources and Water and Environmental Quality. The Committee will meet again on April 12r to review the bill with further amendments. As such, this bill has not yet come before me for a vote. I prefer not to take a position on bills before they come to me because they can change significantly in the committee process. I will, however, carefully consider your arguments when making my decision.
You may wish to read more about the status, history and analysis of this and other bills online at www.leainfo.ca.gov/bilinfo.html . While you are online, please check out my website, www.sen.ca.gov/Steinberg, to learn of community events and other issues in which I am involved.
Be assured that I will keep your views in mind if this issue comes before me for a vote. Please continue to express your views to me so I may better represent you in the state Senate.
If you need assistance or have concerns about another state matter, please do not hesitate to call my office at (916) 651-1529, or email me at [email protected].
Sincerely,

DARRELL STEINBERG
President pro Tempore 6th Senate District
DS:ss

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were no dredges during the "Boom" of the gold rush....Um, thats not what miners use dredges for..... um the stuff about mercury being re distributed...thats whats wrong with the letter... the fact that it was written by a senator, thats whats wrong with.......... :help:

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Send him a reply stating that he not only lost your vote, but you will work dilligently for whoever runs against him. Let him know you'll have the time since you won't be able to dredge! Politicians only care about staying in office so they don't have to work for a living. When enough people tell them they will work and vote against their reelection, they change their "well thougt out" positions rather quiuckly.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
these socalled "representatives" fail to realize, even when pointed out to them repreatedly, that mercury is a natrually accuring element and it comes from cinnabar. its always ozing out of the rock. and the current suction dredge is the ONLY enviromentally safe way to remove mercury from the streams. and if they(the socalled "representatives") are so darn concerned with minute mercury peices in the stream, they fail to realize what happens in the streams during the spring run off that is going on right now! the old saying bears true here," you can lead a horse to water but you cant make them drink! the dems on the west coast were put into office by the wacogreenies and people that really didnt want to hear the truth! they wanted something for free. and were getting the change o said he was going to give us! does it hurt much yet?? sorry for the rant!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SCUM SUCKING STEINBURG IS THE SOB WHO RAIL ROADED SB670 THROUGH WITHOUT ANY INPUT FROM REAL MINERS. BACKROOM DEAL WITH PLOP/CRACK TO A 20 MINUTE TALK AND THEN CUT OUR THROATS AND YOU BELIEVE A SINGLE WORD THAT MO'MO' SPEWS FORTH :tongue3: I have the CD from the NON HEARING thanx to them MF carpetbaggers---John

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hey at least you got a response
all the others i have sent mail to never sent me anything

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Irks me to no end that I cant respond to this Moron!!!!We have people like this casting decisions that obviously have no clue.....not even the history of the State they represent.Our States issues are glaring,with reason right here!!! >:(

Hillbillybjopkr1

Apr 2, 2012
Montague. Calif
Detector(s) used
Gold King double sluce with 3"-4" setup's. homemade frame and pontoons
Primary Interest:
Other
was really hard to keep from smashing my head into the keyboard while reading that joke of a letter. If this is the type of misinformed Reps. we have.....we're screwed....

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stienberg's "form letter" response was alot of words.... but didn't say a damn thing! Typical political double-speak! (insert puke-noise here) TTC

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about advising him to go back to elementary school and study History!!Thats a start!!Dis-grace that is what is Governing our lives.Dis-graceful

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about advising him to go back to elementary school and study History!!Thats a start!!Dis-grace that is what is Governing our lives.Dis-graceful

Instead of sending him back to school, send him to the UNEMPLOYMENT line. Then he might get the message that what he is doing and saying is wrong. JMHO. Gold Nuggets :wave:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread