OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
Re: My 8" dredge build

Klondikeike said:
Cool...

My friend is a professor at a University in the Mechanical Engineering Department,, Machine Shop Class...and he would have made it a class project...and probably wouldn't cost you anything..maybe shipping..

Good luck... it really does look good..

Klondike..

If the guy with precision parts doesn't have one then I just might go that way. That's really cool.

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

Well, I'm not liking my crash box idea at all. I cut the barrel up and placed it into position and it sits way too high. I'm not liking it at all. I'm thinking about taking the old flare, shortening it, and widening it up (right now its about 12' long and goes from 8" to about 16-18") I'm thinking 4' long and widening to 32" would work well with the right angle. I shouldn't have to worry about large rocks getting stuck on the 2' long flat classifying area.

My friend has a cutting torch but I will need to buy more gas because he is out.

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Last flare I made some years back now for 6" dredge was built from about 16 gauge stainless - incorporating the powerjet - though this could have been separated and bolt on if wanted. Got a slow taper tube rolled for powerjet section - then longways split a four foot section of 6" pipe and welded in 2 wedge shapes to make flare - joined the two, and it worked great - was 6 foot long and about 40 pounds. An 8" version could be 9 feet long and about 60 pounds.
The stainless was very wear resistant - easy to weld with stick and very tough - rust free too. Nuggy

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

oragonads said:
Well, I'm not liking my crash box idea at all. I cut the barrel up and placed it into position and it sits way too high. I'm not liking it at all. I'm thinking about taking the old flare, shortening it, and widening it up (right now its about 12' long and goes from 8" to about 16-18") I'm thinking 4' long and widening to 32" would work well with the right angle. I shouldn't have to worry about large rocks getting stuck on the 2' long flat classifying area.

My friend has a cutting torch but I will need to buy more gas because he is out.

I think you should stay with the flare idea. Just shorten it up if you don't want it as long as the original design.

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

russau said:
stainless steel is heavy!!! i made several out of ABS plastic!and NO, it didnt break! and a lot lighter!

How do you go about welding the abs plastic and forming it into shape. How expensive is the stuff?

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

I think I will cut up the flare I have. Make it about 5' long, and widen to 32". If I set it at a steep enough angle it should slow the material down and also settle the heaviest before going over the 2" long classifier.

Also, I will have the over under sluice just about done today and will post pictures later. I might even get the flare cut up today.

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

oragonads said:
I think I will cut up the flare I have. Make it about 5' long, and widen to 32". If I set it at a steep enough angle it should slow the material down and also settle the heaviest before going over the 2" long classifier. I might even weld a piece of angle iron in the center of the flare to insure the material spreads out and slows down enough.

Also, I will have the over under sluice just about done today and will post pictures later. I might even get the flare cut up today.

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

IMAG0062.jpg

IMAG0063-1.jpg

IMAG0067.jpg

IMAG0068.jpg

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

Random picture of my stiff hose and nozzle.
IMAG0069-1.jpg

Does anyone know if this is an original precision jet?
IMAG0070-1.jpg

Gramps43

Feb 27, 2011
Tillamook, OR
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Oragonads go to this site http://www.usplastic.com/ and do a search for " welding Plastic " they should have everything you need if decide to go with plastic.

Gramps

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri

oragonads said:
russau said:
stainless steel is heavy!!! i made several out of ABS plastic!and NO, it didnt break! and a lot lighter!

How do you go about welding the abs plastic and forming it into shape. How expensive is the stuff?
i didnt weld the ABS although i do have a hot air welder for it. i used the ABS adhesive. i coat both peices with it and clamp it up over night and it fuses into itself and will never come apart! i heated my ABS and formed the 90 degree bends between 2 peices of steel. but you can bend this in a sheetmetal brake but it must be done slowly cause itll crack. even bending it slowly will cause little stress cracks at the bends. but use some of the ABS adhesive and itll fill it in and disappear.i havent bought any ABS in awhile so i dont know how much it costs and that depends on thickness also.im sold on it!! when my Keene pontoons eventually go bad, im going to use ABS to make new ones. after the 4th ill call the plastic supply house here in st.louis to check prices if theyll give it over the phone.

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

Well, unfortunately I need to sell the dredge. I'm starting truck driving school in a week and I :read2:'m broke. I'm planning to get my cdl and become a long haul driver so i won't have time to use it any way. The dredge has been on Craigslist for a week and hasn't brought any interest. I just lowered the price down to $2500 obo. I have a drug test and DOT physical this week and I have no money so if I don't have any calls or emails soon I will probably scrap all the aluminum, and sell the parts on Craigslist and eBay.

I don't want to but I have to. I need a job. Truck driving school is only 4 weeks long and I was pretty much guaranteed a job if I graduate. I get lifetime job placement assistance from them. But I need money for my physical, drug screen, permit, licence, endorsements, and gas.

If anyone is interested in the dredge or any parts I have let me know.

bill-costa rica

Sep 19, 2010
playa samara
Detector(s) used
sd2100 infinium ls, 10 inch dredge

That is really too bad that you have to sell your dredge and your dream, for now…. Good luck

Bill-cr

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

Darn, it bums me out looking back at these old pictures. All I've got left of it is the pump. I'll eventually build another one though. Sooner or later. Only next time I'm using twin engines and pumps mounted low to the water. It will be either a 6" or 8". Most likely a 6".

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

I've been driving for schneider national for the last couple of weeks so selling it paid off.

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Yep, seen it many a times before. If I had a nickle.... certian breed it takes but anyhow.....

Good Luck with the Driving, it does pay the bills even part time in the off season. It has helped me over the years. :thumbsup:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:icon_thumleft: A responsible man has to do---what a responsible man has to do--put dreams on hold whilst reality gets dealt with. Dream of gold at night as that job keeps your life nice and tight and then you'll find a way to pursue that righteous golden dream :laughing7: and much respect to any working man in todays ungodly job market- :hello2: John

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010

We're told in school that we can be what we want or do what we would like, but then reality sets in and unless you're family has money, which most of ours don't, we end up going along the path thats there at the time. I'd like to be this but how do you feed the family and pay the bills if you stop working to go be what you want to be so we're pretty much stuck working with what we have. Don't worry because gold fever doesn't go away and in time you'll get your chance to do it again. This is just a bump in the road. Good luck, Doug.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread