My 8" dredge build

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
My 8" dredge build

In the next few days I will be starting the build of my 8" dredge and will post my pictures and progress here. I just bought a new welder today and after over 2 years of not welding I was able to weld some perfect dime stacks. I got the Lincoln power MIG 180c with a tank of 75/25, tank of 100% argon, and a magnum spool gun and am very pleased with it.

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My 8" dredge build

Been thinking of getting a mig, can't decide really. They are faster - with not having to change rods all the time. Got so used to the stick welder though I'm worried I won't use it ( a mig ). I weld thin stuff ok, but slowly with the stick, and stainless is a breeze too. Would be nice not having to chip slag, but don't know if I will get the knack of mig welding easily. Ive had a couple of goes with one, they seem to take a bit of mucking around to set up and then there's all that fuss with the tips.....

shamaalah

Mar 18, 2009

oragonads said:
In the next few days I will be starting the build of my 8" dredge and will post my pictures and progress here. I just bought a new welder today and after over 2 years of not welding I was able to weld some perfect dime stacks. I got the Lincoln power MIG 180c with a tank of 75/25, tank of 100% argon, and a magnum spool gun and am very pleased with it.

Way to go Boss...Im in the process of gathering equipment for a 5 incher myself. 8 inchers a beast though...whew. How much money you think you'll be saving?

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

Well I havnt got much done on the dredge. I have been running around picking up material and drawing up plans (in my head).

Here's what I got so far.
IMAG0002-1.jpg

This is the basic product that I'm after.
IMAG0003-1.jpg

IMAG0004-1.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

The longer part of the sluice is 8' long, the other part is 2'. It's 32" wide and has 8" tall sides. It's made of .080 aluminum. The main frame is .125" 2"x2" square aluminum.

Im using a Lincoln power MIG 180c with a Magnum spool gun to weld the aluminum. For never welding aluminum before, I'm not terribly bad. My wells arnt the prettiest but they are strong.
IMAG0005.jpg

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

Oh yea, so far I'm about $360 into it. I'm figuring about $300-$500 bucks more and I have a complete dredge less motor and air compressor.

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am very interested in your project. Thanks for letting us watch! :headbang:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri

what are you talking about?? your MIG alum welds look real good!!!and a lot better than most alum MIG welding that ive seen from others!!! i do TIG, but id also like to get a MIG for its quickness in getting the job done. but i dont have enough of that type of welding to require a MIG. your project is comeing together nice!

shamaalah

Mar 18, 2009

oragonads said:
Oh yea, so far I'm about $360 into it. I'm figuring about $300-$500 bucks more and I have a complete dredge less motor and air compressor.

What type motor/pump setup? Dont forget, that 8in suction hose can be a killer ($$$) as well. I think you'll be in about $2500/$3000 when alls said and done?...still not bad considering an 8inchers about $8000 plus?

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

I was planning on doing the geo motor set up but am not too sure anymore because I don't have access to my old high school metal shop anymore (my former teacher retired). They have 6 manual lathes, 3 manual mills, a cnc mill, and every other tool or machine you could ever need. Im worried on the cost of getting the pump housing machined and the the adapter machined, and I don't really trust other people working on my stuff ;D

Not too sure about the hose yet. The 20' of 8" I have now is in good shape, its just stiff as hell. I can't seem to find any 8" hose under $20 per foot. I can get 6" for $7.50 per foot and was thinking about getting 40' of it and making a jet/flare I can attach 2 6" hoses and have a dual 6" dredge,but also be able to attach the 2 20' sections and have a 40' hose when I need.

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

I'm also thinking about keeping my 20' of 8" hose, and connecting an auxiliary 3" hose to the jet so it would be easier to clean out cracks with rather then trying to bend that 8" around.

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

Getting closer. I've been doing more brainstorming then working lately but I've got it it my head now how I want it so tomorrow I plan on getting a lot of work done.

IMAG0007.jpg

shamaalah

Mar 18, 2009

oragonads said:
Getting closer. I've been doing more brainstorming then working lately but I've got it it my head now how I want it so tomorrow I plan on getting a lot of work done.

IMAG0007.jpg

Hey if those long braces going front to back could hold some weight you might want to but a 8in narrow platform centered between the floats? itll help you manuever around the dredge some....just a thought ;D

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

I found a good vw 1600cc engine in my price range and will probably go pick up tomorrow. As of right now I don't have the capabilities to make an adapter to mount a geo engine to the vw pump. Maybe a problem for next winter :hello2:. Im trying to get the dredge done in the next 1-2 weeks so I can take it down to the claim and find some gold this season :headbang:

shamaalah

Mar 18, 2009

oragonads said:
I found a good vw 1600cc engine in my price range and will probably go pick up tomorrow. As of right now I don't have the capabilities to make an adapter to mount a geo engine to the vw pump. Maybe a problem for next winter :hello2:. Im trying to get the dredge done in the next 1-2 weeks so I can take it down to the claim and find some gold this season :headbang:

Dont forget a few rope cleats so you can tie that beast down...maybe even a small homemade marine anchor...dont know how deep youll be dredging but you might want to set the floats up with some handles...they have glue on rubber ones used for rafting. what are you gonna do about gas storage?

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

I live close to the Columbia river so I'm close to many boat supply stores and can pick up all sorts of neat things. As for a gas tank, I'm going to use a plastic 5-8 gallon tank I can get off Craigslist or any boat supply store.

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

Got a little more work done. The frame mounts are welded on and its all bolted together.
IMAG0008.jpg

IMAG0009.jpg

IMAG0011.jpg

Got some punch plate to classify the material going into the second stage of the sluice.
IMAG0012.jpg

Also got some expanded metal for the sluice.
IMAG0013.jpg

IMAG0014.jpg

That's my 1987 Honda Fat Cat. It's what's gonna get me down and up the trail to my claim.

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

Well today I went and bought a motor for the dredge. I got a good running vw 1300cc for $350. Not as big as a 1600 cc but still puts out 45 HP so it should do just fine. I need to call precision tomorrow to see how much the part that bolts to the flywheel and the pump shaft goes into costs because I don't have one. Hopefully not too much :-X.

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

Oh by the way, the engine weighs about 225 lbs :P. Wish I had time to make an adapter for a 135 lb geo engine but maybe I will find enough gold to make one next winter :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread