Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    us
    Jan 2011

My 8" dredge build

In the next few days I will be starting the build of my 8" dredge and will post my pictures and progress here. I just bought a new welder today and after over 2 years of not welding I was able to weld some perfect dime stacks. I got the Lincoln power MIG 180c with a tank of 75/25, tank of 100% argon, and a magnum spool gun and am very pleased with it.

nz
    Aug 2010
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
    48 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: My 8" dredge build

Been thinking of getting a mig, can't decide really. They are faster - with not having to change rods all the time. Got so used to the stick welder though I'm worried I won't use it ( a mig ). I weld thin stuff ok, but slowly with the stick, and stainless is a breeze too. Would be nice not having to chip slag, but don't know if I will get the knack of mig welding easily. Ive had a couple of goes with one, they seem to take a bit of mucking around to set up and then there's all that fuss with the tips.....
    Seeking is what precedes finding Nuggy 2012

pr
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally Posted by oragonads
    In the next few days I will be starting the build of my 8" dredge and will post my pictures and progress here. I just bought a new welder today and after over 2 years of not welding I was able to weld some perfect dime stacks. I got the Lincoln power MIG 180c with a tank of 75/25, tank of 100% argon, and a magnum spool gun and am very pleased with it.
    Way to go Boss...Im in the process of gathering equipment for a 5 incher myself. 8 inchers a beast though...whew. How much money you think you'll be saving?

us
    Jan 2011

Well I havnt got much done on the dredge. I have been running around picking up material and drawing up plans (in my head).

Here's what I got so far.

This is the basic product that I'm after.

The longer part of the sluice is 8' long, the other part is 2'. It's 32" wide and has 8" tall sides. It's made of .080 aluminum. The main frame is .125" 2"x2" square aluminum.

Im using a Lincoln power MIG 180c with a Magnum spool gun to weld the aluminum. For never welding aluminum before, I'm not terribly bad. My wells arnt the prettiest but they are strong.

pr
    Mar 2009

Looks good...interesting floats

us
    Jan 2011

Oh yea, so far I'm about $360 into it. I'm figuring about $300-$500 bucks more and I have a complete dredge less motor and air compressor.

us
    Apr 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
    4 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

I am very interested in your project. Thanks for letting us watch!
    Live each day as if it were your last.  Soak in and seek love and light and shine it upon everyone who will accept it.  Value your true friends like gold as they are more rare and valuable than you may ever know.  Live in integrity with all men.

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    616 times

what are you talking about?? your MIG alum welds look real good!!!and a lot better than most alum MIG welding that ive seen from others!!! i do TIG, but id also like to get a MIG for its quickness in getting the job done. but i dont have enough of that type of welding to require a MIG. your project is comeing together nice!

pr
    Mar 2009

Oh yea, so far I'm about $360 into it. I'm figuring about $300-$500 bucks more and I have a complete dredge less motor and air compressor.

What type motor/pump setup? Dont forget, that 8in suction hose can be a killer ($$$) as well. I think you'll be in about $2500/$3000 when alls said and done?...still not bad considering an 8inchers about $8000 plus?

us
    Jan 2011

I was planning on doing the geo motor set up but am not too sure anymore because I don't have access to my old high school metal shop anymore (my former teacher retired). They have 6 manual lathes, 3 manual mills, a cnc mill, and every other tool or machine you could ever need. Im worried on the cost of getting the pump housing machined and the the adapter machined, and I don't really trust other people working on my stuff

Not too sure about the hose yet. The 20' of 8" I have now is in good shape, its just stiff as hell. I can't seem to find any 8" hose under $20 per foot. I can get 6" for $7.50 per foot and was thinking about getting 40' of it and making a jet/flare I can attach 2 6" hoses and have a dual 6" dredge,but also be able to attach the 2 20' sections and have a 40' hose when I need.

us
    Jan 2011

I'm also thinking about keeping my 20' of 8" hose, and connecting an auxiliary 3" hose to the jet so it would be easier to clean out cracks with rather then trying to bend that 8" around.

us
    Jan 2011

Getting closer. I've been doing more brainstorming then working lately but I've got it it my head now how I want it so tomorrow I plan on getting a lot of work done.

pr
    Mar 2009

Getting closer. I've been doing more brainstorming then working lately but I've got it it my head now how I want it so tomorrow I plan on getting a lot of work done.

Hey if those long braces going front to back could hold some weight you might want to but a 8in narrow platform centered between the floats? itll help you manuever around the dredge some....just a thought

us
    Jan 2011

That's exactly what I have in mind.

us
    Jan 2011

I found a good vw 1600cc engine in my price range and will probably go pick up tomorrow. As of right now I don't have the capabilities to make an adapter to mount a geo engine to the vw pump. Maybe a problem for next winter . Im trying to get the dredge done in the next 1-2 weeks so I can take it down to the claim and find some gold this season

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsors