GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
http://nidwater.com/mercury-removal.cfm

NID Mercury Remediation Project Makes Feinstein's Appropriations List

Published on May 31, 2010 - 8:30:25 AM

Email this article Printer friendly page
By: Susan Snider, YubaNet

GRASS VALLEY, Calif. May 31, 2010 - On May 13 Senator Diane Feinstein announced her Appropriations requests for FY 2011 -- a list of 23 projects throughout California which includes everything from repairs to the historic penitentiary on Alcatraz Island to grant funding for local Fire Safe Councils.

After months of waiting, Nevada Irrigation Assistant Manager Tim Crough was pleased to see that the district's mercury removal project at Combie Reservoir made the list as well. If Feinstein's requests are approved by Congress -- and NID's project remains on the list -- the district will receive enough funding to begin the project under the Environmental Protection Agency.

NID is seeking $3,000,000 under the Appropriations Request, an amount which will allow the district to dredge sediments for the first year of the 3-5 year project.

Part of NID's lower storage division, Combie Reservoir sits behind Van Giesen Dam, built in 1928. Over the past 80 years, hundreds of thousands of tons of mercury-laden sediment have built up behind the dam. Currently, mercury contamination has rendered the reservoir unusable as a drinking water supply. And the Central Valley Regional Water Quality Control Board has ordered a halt to dredging which NID says is necessary to maintain storage capacity.

Through the proposed project, NID hopes to remove 200 pounds of mercury contaminating the reservoir -- and potentially the Bear River below the dam. If the project successfully demonstrates that mercury can be removed from sediments -- without contributing to unacceptable levels of mercury downstream -- it could become a model for other reservoir maintenance programs as a Best Management Practice (BMP). As stated in the Appropriations request, the project "is a valuable use of taxpayer money because it will restore a public drinking water supply and prove a technique that can be used by other water districts with similar problems."

While the project has garnered a wide range of support, including supervisors from both Nevada and Placer counties, the Sierra Fund, and the local Tsi-Akim Maidu Tribe, final approval by Congress rests on acceptance by such local politicians as 4th District Congressman Tom McClintock.

For more information on NID's "Combie Reservoir Sediment and Mercury Removal" project, go to http://nidwater.com/mercury-removal.cfm

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
WTh is this going on right now?

And the Central Valley Regional Water Quality Control Board has ordered a halt to dredging which NID says is necessary to maintain storage capacity.

never mind.

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Which one is it? These are the only two for Placer Co.

Project Title: Lake Tahoe Regional Wetlands: Snow Creek
Recipient: County of Placer; 3091 County Center Drive, Auburn, CA 95803
Amount Requested: $2,200,000

Placer County has developed a restoration design plan for sensitive wetlands that have been damaged by past development. This is a valuable use of taxpayer funds because it will lead to improvements in water quality and environmental benefits. The President’s Budget includes $96,000 for this program.

opps got to get the other one. brb

Project Title: Placer County
Recipient: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Amount Requested: $2,000,000

Funding will be used to construct two regional treatment plants and main water transmission line to bring Placer County into compliance with state water quality standards. This is a valuable use of taxpayer funds because this project will serve 200,000 residents by providing a new source of 30,000 acre-feet of reclaimed water.

notice that this one doesnt have pres, budget included.

OP
OP
2cmorau

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
this project is on the Bear River
what i don't get is that this is the type of area where methylmercury occurs ( still waters, marsh, ponds, delta, swamps ) becuz of organic buildup.
they dredge the materials out of the river to a processing plant and then release the water back ( Methylmercury ?) and aggregate gets hauled away
US, WE, dredging on the rivers deal with Elemental Mercury (liquid).
as far as i am concerned a dredge is a dredge even if this is call a cutterhead it still works on the same principle. lets dredge are material into a container for road side pick-up. i will keep the cons and the state can have the aggregate

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
So its ok if they dredge and take the gold too. But if Joe Public does it its bad for the environment. What a bunch of hypocrites.

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
I dont think they got their funding, cant find anything on it.
That project uses a Knealson bowl with 95% recovery. What was the percent a dredge captures?

oh yea 98%

OP
OP
2cmorau

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hefty
I think the video was done last year, but the ban was in place then too.
At a club meeting last week a member told me the Combie was full and to high for any dredging to take place, so i am thinking they may work it when the water drops
how did you find out about the Knealson Bowl they are using?

anybody know where i can get a beatup dredge, all i really need is a box with a header or flair
there is enough drop on the claim were i don't need a motor

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
2cmorau said:
Hefty
I think the video was done last year, but the ban was in place then too.
At a club meeting last week a member told me the Combie was full and to high for any dredging to take place, so i am thinking they may work it when the water drops
how did you find out about the Knealson Bowl they are using?

anybody know where i can get a beatup dredge, all i really need is a box with a header or flair
there is enough drop on the claim were i don't need a motor

It was in some news article i came across while looking to see if they got their funding.
I will try to find it and post it here.

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
They want funding for this, our taxpayers money, for something we do for free :BangHead:

AND BETTER.

OP
OP
2cmorau

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thanks Hefty
I made Hard copys for myself
And your correct about 98% recoverd by dredging
http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/water_issues/programs/cwa401/docs/suctiondredge/2007merc_drdg_rpt.pdf
i didn't read the whole thing but, i didn't see anywhere on how they are recovering Methylmercury?

Removal of Mercury from Dredged Sediments. The concentrator used for this Project
will have a 12-inch bowl that spins at 60-80g (gravitational force (~9.8 m/sec2)) to
separate mercury from the thickened sludge (from the primary centrifuge). The
concentrator is a unique centrifuge that is capable of removing 85 to 95 percent of
mercury from the sediments. The concentrator will operate during dredge operations and
up to two hours each day after dredge operations are ended in order to process all
material remaining in the tanks and centrifuges. At times, the concentrator and
centrifuges may operate without the use of the dredge to re-process the dry cake, or
centrate, if needed to achieve maximum efficiency. The following equipment comprises
the new Project features for this component:
Knelson Concentrator (model KC-CD12MR[MS]) or equivalent

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Very interesting info on this topic.....

Pro-Mack Mining Mack Mining Mack Mining
meeting concerning a mercury clean-up pilot project that I personally was
involved with ... dredge CEQA process with a factual basis concerning the
project: ..... from Combie Reservoir (they also intend to use a suction dredge).

www.goldgold.com/legal/Comments_to_PAC.pdf - Cached

What the heck is really going on???

OP
OP
2cmorau

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
if it weren't for double standards libs wouldn't have any standards at all
Bumper sticker on the tailgate of my truck

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
The goobermints greedy. They want all the gold for themselves. If they can't have it they take our rights away so we can't have it :'(

lbell

Greenie
Mar 10, 2010
hello everybody: just popping in here but a suction dredge and cutter head dredge are two different animals completely .yes a cutterhead still has to use a pump to draw the water through to create veturi after the cutter head but a cutterhead will chop and dice the liquid mercury into methylmercury where as a suction dredge does none of the above.I guess what I'm trying to say is that what that commie b***h is proposing to do WILL IN FACT DO exactly what she and all the other demonazis claim that we do with our suction dredges.who are these idiots and how do they keep getting elected? I swear our system is rigged and seriously broken . PISSED OFF Larry :angry5: I say burn them all and start over.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread