JERRY BROWN VETOES BUDGET

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
June 16, 2011
Brown vetoes Democratic budget [UPDATED]
Post will be updated constantly through the day as news develops.

Gov. Jerry Brown vetoed his own party's budget today, less than 24 hours after Democratic lawmakers sent him a majority-vote plan balanced with risky solutions.

The Democratic governor said during his campaign and throughout this year he would not sign a budget filled with "gimmicks," though he suggested earlier this week he had relaxed that stance.

In a letter to lawmakers, Brown said the Democratic plan is "not a balanced solution. It continues big deficits for years to come and adds billions of dollars in new debt. It also contains legally questionable maneuvers, costly borrowing and unrealistic savings. Finally, it is not financeable and therefore will not allow us to meet our obligations as they occur."

The governor did praise Democrats for "valiant efforts" in making painful cuts. He blamed Republicans for blocking real solutions.

"If they continue to obstruct a vote, we will be forced to pursue deeper and more destructive cuts to schools and public safety - a tragedy for which Republicans will bear full responsibility," Brown wrote.

Brown's veto will place the budget back in limbo with only 14 days left in the fiscal year. He has only two weeks to convince Republicans to extend taxes on vehicles and sales, as well as establish a special tax election. Democrats consider the multi-month "tax bridge" crucial if there is any chance for a successful special election on taxes later this year.

The governor is scheduled to hold a press conference this afternoon in Los Angeles. Senate President Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg, D-Sacramento, and Assembly Speaker John A. Pérez, D-Los Angeles, will speak to reporters in the Capitol later this morning.

Facing a constitutional deadline, Democratic lawmakers passed their budget Wednesday with the threat of pay forfeiture hanging over their heads. It was presumed that they met the requirements of voter-approved Proposition 25 by sending Brown a budget yesterday they considered balanced.

Controller John Chiang spokeswoman Hallye Jordan said Wednesday that Chiang had not yet reviewed the budget bills. The Democratic controller, who issues state paychecks, determined earlier this month that Proposition 25 requires lawmakers to send the governor a "balanced budget" to meet the pay requirement.

Brown said in his letter to lawmakers Thursday, "Unfortunately, the budget I have received is not a balanced solution" and that it was "not financeable." Jordan was not immediately available Thursday to say whether the controller would issue paychecks to lawmakers in light of the governor's message and veto. Proposition 25 does not speak to a balanced budget requirement, but Chiang included that interpretation two weeks before the deadline.

The governor's veto letter says that he has vetoed the two main budget bills in the Democratic package. He did not mention the nearly 20 other "trailer" bills associated with that budget.

Shortly after Capitol Alert's report this morning, Brown issued a YouTube video here. A transcript follows:

"Today I have vetoed the California state budget.

I do so reluctantly -- but with clear purpose.

For a decade, the can has been kicked down the road and debt has piled up.

In January, I presented a balanced budget solution of deep spending cuts and a proposal to let the people of California vote on whether to extend some taxes on a temporary basis. Unfortunately the Republicans said no. They didn't want the people of California to have that right to vote.

The Democrats, on the other hand, made some very deep cuts. In the budget that I received today, there was more positive work. Unfortunately it doesn't go far enough. California is facing a fiscal crisis, and very strong medicine must be taken.

So, I am vetoing it today because I don't want to see more billions in borrowing, legal maneuvers that are questionable, and a budget that will not stand the test of time."

Brown also sent the following letter to lawmakers today.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/2011/06/brown-to-veto-democratic-budge.html#ixzz1PTK6Z8hP

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
alright a second chance

WHAT YOU CAN DO.
Your one voice when added to thousands of others is a powerful tool.
Your participation in the democratic process is essential if we are to defeat any threat to mining, and the related businesses in nearby communities that rely on mining commerce to survive.
CONTACT YOUR LEGISLATORS
The WMA needs your support in the form of phone calls, e-mails, faxes and letters to your State Legislators and the Governor, so that together we can influence legislation and protect your rights.
Voice your opinion by using "Find Your Legislators” in the main menu to locate the name and address of your state legislators in the CA Senate & Assembly. Then contact them ASAP and urge them to support responsible “Suction Dredge Mining and California’s Economy” by voting…….. NO on Budget Trailer Bill Language to Stop Suction Dredge Mining.
CONTACT BUSINESSES
You can help even more, by contacting businesses you visited and supported before the first two year ban on dredging in Aug 2009. A Business Alert flyer has been prepared for just that purpose. For those businesses you remember patronizing, simply call them to obtain their fax number, or e-mail address, or physical address, and send them a copy of the Business Alert. Every customer they see walk in the door is a plus to their bottom line, so they need to know state legislators are about to take another big bite out of their profits AGAIN.
You can copy the Business Alert flyer by clicking it in the main menu.
Every business that you know of that received mining industry dollars needs to receive a copy of the Business Alert as soon as possible, so they too have time to make their voices heard in Sacramento.
Your participation in this Business Alert effort is very important. You can amplify your voice even more in the state houses by getting businesses to stand up for their rights too!
http://www.westernminingalliance.org/

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dear Noreen Evans
I am appalled you would be concerned with your pay when so many of your constituents have been out of work for months
I am disappointed that you would vote against revenue to the tune of more than 100 million dollars
Small towns depend on seasonal income, yet you approved a five year extension on SB670 affectively closing down many businesses and income for many of your constituents
I rely on this activity to supplement my income, without this form of income I will have to give up my home and shut down my business
Attached are the actual cost and revenue to the state
http://www.sierracounty.ws/county_docs/planning/FG eir response letter.pdf
http://www.westernminingalliance.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66&Itemid=72
oh, and I will vote

I faxed this in this morning also to Huffman and Leno

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
very good letter and its to the point,but they dont care one tiny bit about us "peeons" they got theirs and they dont care about us! ELECTION time will tell it all!

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hey Russau Thanks

i know the frustration, i try to find ways to get a type of dredge in the water without motors only to find out that DFG will cite ya for any suction divice in the rivers. DFG has several dredges confiscated from people trying new ways
however we need to keep pounding them with facts
first it was the fish, then it was the frog, then they hit us with mercury crap, now they are trying the the cost factor.
we are having an effect
we need to be like the mosquito when they( Politician's) bed down for the night

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
russau said:
very good letter and its to the point,but they dont care one tiny bit about us "peeons" they got theirs and they dont care about us! ELECTION time will tell it all!
I agree that it is a very well written letter. Unfortunately, I also agree that "they" "don't care one tiny bit" about "us peeons". (I got the pun.) :laughing9:

I've already received a letter from Social Security that the State of California had cut my supplemental check, (again.) The third time since this POTUS has been in office. Plus, no cost of living increase for the last couple of years. I do wish that someone could give me a rational explanation of why food is not included in "cost of living". I tried going without it, but after a week, I didn't have enough energy to keep up with my thread. :dontknow: :laughing7:

Eagle

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
your absolutly right! we ALL need to keep hitting them with true facts and not just P&Moaning about what we think they should do! votes and taxs is what they live for! keep showing him the money we generate for his state and sooner or latter he has to see that he needs use all to help pull the state out of this finnancial mess. we all want clean water and air, but at some point we have to be able to pay for it or whats the point! its all going tobe 1 baby step at a time to get out of this mess and we are in his face saying,"we are here to help! do you want us?" and when that is made public, he will have to do something! we "pay" to help cleanup the streams of lead,mercury,trash, while the wacos keep screaming that we harm the enviroment??what the heck are they doing to help out? they are sueing the gubermint of our tax moneys and they are using it against us! think about that one for awhile! meanwhile have a Happy Fathers day to all!

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
wow Russau
are you running for office :hello2:
you bring up some great points, well said

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Im the PLP state director for Missouri, and i wouldnt get into that lieing bunch of non-American mouchs if my life depended on it! BUT if i did, id hummbel/embarrasse/fire everyone of them for their violating their oath of office and lieing to the American people, plus the partys not truely representing America and Her people, but their leing party! ALL the partys included!! we need as a Nation, to have our "representatives" forget about party affiliation and work towards a common goal of getting our Nation and Her people back to work and making money and get ALL Americans back to work! if you watch how they vote along party lines, they are wasting our time and money and allowing our great Country to slid further into the toilet! what a waste!and we vote them into office!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread