They have a 4" mini, I think I want a 5" mini

soggybottom

Greenie
Mar 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: They have a 4" mini, I think I want a 5" mini

downdeep said:
mini is just a bigger dredge in a more compact portable frame. Like keene offers a 4" standard with bigger floats , stronger frame bigger sluice they also have a 4" mini , same pump and engine smaller , lighter sluice frame and floats. Im just making my own 5" mini since there isn't one commercially available. It will be a 5" dredge in a 4" frame and float set-up. single 9hp honda hp500 pump

so its just in "how strong you want it" as to weather its a regular or a mini? im going to be building a 4" one of these days and im going to have to find out what size the floats need to be made and other things....

thanks for the help

OP
OP
G

Guest412

Jun 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sort of. Just depends what you need really. I don't need to float mine much yet I want to move volume of material. So 5" in a small package makes sense for me.

soggybottom

Greenie
Mar 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

downdeep said:
Sort of. Just depends what you need really. I don't need to float mine much yet I want to move volume of material. So 5" in a small package makes sense for me.

ok thanks every little bit i learn helps :)

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hello downdeep,
I've just read your thread and find it most interesting. The pictures are really something else, showing a wild area with all sorts of possibilities. I'm not near as active as you are, not a big guy and not all that strong so I tend to take care of my back and not strain it. It seems like your mine area is in CA and if/when you get back to it I would like to come over for a visit.

I had a job interview last week but did not feel comfortable about it as I left the company. If I should happen to be hired then my summer plans will shift to weekends. But if I do not have a full time job by the end of May and if winter is gone, ie no snow like last year lasting till the 2nd week of July, then I will head into the mountains.

It would be interesting to see your area and I could even be of a bit of help.

Regards......63bkpkr

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AMEN GW,63 is a man with a plan and a TRUE nature lovn',respecting man with MUCH hiking experience. All I can do is envy as his monster bakpak would put me on the ground after a few 100 yards or so---for weeks :tongue3: DD--with that miniscule dredge box I'd DEFINATELY would mandate over/under with HIGH sides as teenie box for HUGE flow and off the box micro/small nuggets/ gold will flow---John

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN-bummer on the boo boo though as you'll set off them TSA metal detectors forevermore--hope ya heal up ok-I had a knee op in 89 and still dredged all summer as went to the creek in a wheel chair up/down the hill with a winch,ya just can't keep a good dredging man dry----tons a au 2 u 2 -John

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold and fortunes comes and goes but a righteous woman is the true treasure---for as long as it lasts hahaha. From 3 knee ops,and many others, I can definately attest to physical therapy afterward is almost as important as the surgeon. Do even more than requested and you'll be good to go. To make a long story short-had 2 elbows rebuilt and surgeon did a squat job-BUT-righteous pt saved me from a life a pain,over 1 1/2 years and a pile a cash but I can chuck rocks,swing a detector and man a shovel again so good for yet another 56 years of gold lust(and others too)--heal thyself my son and prosper--tons a au 2 u 2 -John PS-Navy still iffy??

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like the idea of a mini 5". Haven't figured why Keene has not made an upscaled modle of the mini 4". 20 X 48 should work just fine for you keep it short and wide.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey DownDeep......
I found a guy here in Indiana that makes a nice dredge.........as well as other mining equipment.

It's a twin 8" ...It'll run 70 cubic yards an hour :o

Twin 8-Deutz Power copy-text.jpg

He mostly ships them overseas for diamond recovery.
My brother took me to meet him last week.....his name is Dan Pohle. He's quite an expert on diamond/gold recovery. He also does a lot of consulting work around the world. http://diamonddredges.com/

I know it has nothing to do with your thread.... I was just impressed and thought I'd share it with you. :tongue3:

Best Wishes for a speedy recovery!

GG~

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Double down DD and RIGHTEOUS NEWS on your reup. Does that mean you get to stay on that beauty of a ship also.Looks like a Cool toy to play with,man toy as it were---with teeth. Have quite a few retired navymen in the family,Pops bros 4 of them,and all living the life on them pensions and base privledges sure help too. Good woman,good job,nice benefits,nice new dredge and a good claim,check check and double check NOW heal up and get'r'done----tons a au 2 u2 -John

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch the weight is my only caveat and be bloody careful in them seized boats as boobie traps??? tons a au 2 u 2 -John

Bigwill

Dec 21, 2011
Washington Co. Al
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And this is what Im sailing on at the moment. LCS-2 Uss Independence. Your tax dollars at work.
Hey downdeep. Hope you heal up quick from the accident. I work across the river from where the LCS-2 USS Independence was built. Neat watching the progress out my window. This picture is the latest LCS that rolled out

2012-04-13.jpg

OP
OP
G

Guest412

Jun 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well this year is going to be scrapped for me. I broke my left leg and it needs alot of work to get fixed. titanium rods n screws and a broken ankle to boot . It happened a month ago but things are just going slow on the recovery. Oh well stuff happens. There is always next year we will see what happens. So I will just put this project on the back burner and see what happens next with the Navy. As of now I'll just be walking straight again by the time summer gets here and the Navy don't wanna let me go play. Ill keep up the dream until then.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions