Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok Mint_2k,
I will post when all of it is in. I'm thinking of using the flare to the sluicebox as part of the high banker so the input area is not right on the riffles. The flare is there when I use it for sluicing so why not have it there when high banking. Anybody have any thoughts on this??

Thanks.............63bkpkr

Mint_2k

Jan 22, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
63bkpkr said:
Ok Mint_2k,
I will post when all of it is in. I'm thinking of using the flare to the sluicebox as part of the high banker so the input area is not right on the riffles. The flare is there when I use it for sluicing so why not have it there when high banking. Anybody have any thoughts on this??

Thanks.............63bkpkr

63bkpkr,

"Dpdkld"did a Jobe header box on a teedee sluice. It served as a closed dam for the end of the sluice....and he used a GMS stream hopper too.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,378271.0.html

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amen 63 as then your deaireating the materials prior to introduction for better gold recovery same as a flared jet-spread'r out,slowr' down and prosper-tons a au 2 u 2 -John :laughing7:

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mint_2k, Thank You for that Homemade Highbanker link, the unit looked quite good as well as long so I will opt for the length the flare being there will give me.

Hoser John, Somehow I knew it sounded like a good idea to keep the flare in place and your comment is at least one reason why. I really wanted to have some room between the 'fines' coming into the sluice before they crossed the black V mat and as you have pointed out getting the air out of the fines is useful especially as historically I've watched a very nice flat nugget float right out of my A 52 and that is just a mean trick.

My best to the both of you........63bkpkr

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Highbanker Attachement for the Keene Sluice Box Addendum Parts & Pieces

Howdy Again,
The only parts that have NOT come in are the frame and adjustable legs from Keene, sigh. But as promised Here are some pictures of the basic equipment.
194_9493.JPG

This is the chain saw I ended up with versus the Sthil I'd planned on but hey the Husqy was a whole lot less money and for my simple needs it will work fine. This is a 34.4cc engine rated at 1.8 HP with a 16" bar. I paid $179 on sale at Tractor Supply Co. and out the door with tax, sharpening kit, chain oil, gas oil, tuneup kit it was about $270.00. This saw has an automatic pump for oiling the chain which most modern saws have. If everything else had been in stock I would have been able to get the 8000 lb snatch block, 1/2" shackle and Layflat hose for the pump but not all was in stock so I purchased the snatch block from Northwest Auto in Iowa, good service and good price ~$29 + shipping or about the same as it would have been from Tractor Supply except for me CA tax would have been added on to the ~$23.00 price. The 1/2" shackle was ~$9.50 at Tractor Supply with a country of origin being India. Tractor supply has good prices for equal or better quality products and they sell on the internet. The red glove is there for a size comparison and is a mans large though snug.
194_9496.JPG

And here we have the CASluicebox A 52 High Banker mod with the snatch block and shackle mentioned above. I'm pleased with the workmanship from CAS though the gauge of the plastic box could be a bit heavier IMHO, ~ 3/32" @ ~$90 shipped with CA sales tax. I was impressed with the flat expanded metal grizzly as it is free of sharp burrs and only two of the diamonds were cut as part of their cutting pattern. I do not expect to need band aids while using this grizzly. They do not include mounting instructions for the support legs to the A52 sluicebox but once I got to playing with it that is no big deal as it pretty much determines its own location for drilling two or maybe 4 holes.

194_9497.JPG

Output end of grizzly

194_9498.JPG

Looking down boil box towards out put end of boil box, see spray bar holes

194_9499.JPG

side spray bars

194_9500.JPG

high banker box sitting on flare. Note the two drop riffles just before the grizzly starts. I believe the two drop riffles add to the HB box being quite stiff for what I consider to be a light gauge of plastic.

195_9501.JPG

high banker side view. Support legs are not in proper final location

195_9502.JPG

and here is the master of ceremonies as without this sweet Tanaka 50 cc, 2.2 HP engine and P90 pump already being in my possesion the expense of this mod would have really gotten heavy duty. I purchased a Keene 2" BackPackable dredge in August of 92 and took it out into the field three times and then put it away till now. Course I will only be using the motor/pump as dredging is outlawed for now. Also in the picture is the layflat hose w/fittings attached (the fittings even fit the pump threads). I purchased the lay flat hose @ Tractor Supply for $25.00 for 25' of 1 1/2" hose w/fittings with a pressure rating of 65# (I assume that is PSI)

195_9503.JPG

the pump end of the system. The P381 designation is for the motor though the pump is a P90 and is a high pressure pump that emits 90 gallons a minute or 5400 gallons an hour and it has more than 100' of lift. Throttle on the engine is easy to use and keeps the engine at the RPM you set it at.

The only item not pictured here is the 8000 lb pull Harbor Freight cable hoist. I consider it a heavy duty unit but if you require something heavier duty then be sure to check out the Tuf-Tug brand, U.S. made and beefy though lower lb rating than Harbor Freight and easily double the price.

Once I have the flare blocking plate in position, the HB legs mounted to the sluicebox and the frame/adjustable legs on I will post final pictures. HOwever as you can see everything is looking promising except for the hike in............63bkpkr

March 20, 2012 Today I added the leg mounting holes to the sluice box sides. From the input edge of the flare the holes are 20", 22" & 24" away with a hole center point at 1/2" down from the top edge of the side wall, 17/64" holes for 1/4-20 bolts using the ever important Nylok Nuts.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You really are an inspiration 63. Not just in the task you're about to undertake but the level of preparation.
Best of Luck. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks calisdad,
I've had this 'thing' about me since I was a little boy, make it good! I do have to be careful as this also causes me to have heavy packs which, is why TerryC teases me about someday having a telephone booth at my camp site that I carried in. I would like this to be a two pack hike, one with the motor, gas, hoses, high banker and one with the backpacking gear. That's a packer frame for the odd ball sized "machines and the living necessities like food, sleeping gear etc. in the other. In the end it is all about the weight and at times why I have to leave some of my toys at home. The saw is one of those items that may not make it in but it could be in the truck incase it's needed. And now for winter to be over aka - all the snow is gone.......63bkpkr

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEY 63,
I WAS BEGINNING TO THINK YOU WERE A CLOSE FRIEND WITH BIG FOOT, UNTIL YOU SAID
THAT IT WAS TO BE A TWO TRIP PACK-IN, AND THAT YOU DON'T ALWAYS TAKE ALL OF YOUR TOYS.
I, TAKE ALMOST ALL OF MY TOYS AND STILL HAVE ROOM ENOUGH TO SLEEP, (IN THE TRUCK).
SPEAKING OF MY TOYS... MY HAND POWERED DREDGE IS ALMOST COMPLETE AND UNDER THE
WEIGHT LIMIT. PLAN "A" WEIGHS IN AT 6 LBS. 6.7 OZS.... PLAN "B" WILL BE A TWO TRIP TOY.

I HOPE THAT YOU HAVE TO MAKE AN EXTRA TRIP WHEN HEADING HOME... 1 TRIP FOR THE AU.

:coffee2: :coffee2: :blob7:
MIKEL

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This morning I woke up feeling human again, been having a struggle with some sort of a bug. After doing a significant portion of things I needed to do I did something I wanted to do, I drilled the mounting holes for the high banker box into the sides of the sluicebox. I drilled my first set of holes 16" from the input end of the flare, guess I was just too excited to be doing this so I did not check the looks of the system "before" I drilled the holes. With the first two holes being useless I estimated that holes at 20" would work and having confirmed that I drilled these and then two more sets at 22" & 24" (note" the center of all holes are 1/2" from the top edge of the side wall, all holes a 17/64" to clear 1/4-20 bolts using "Nylok Nuts") . With all of these available to me out in the bush I will have a good selection to use for whatever ground conditions I might encounter.

Some obvious pictures with the last one looking into the HB hopper giving you a good look at the two drop riffles that are built into the unit. Next thing to make will be the end dam for the flare and then to fiddle with the gasoline motor and pump to make certain they work. And finally to wait for the weather to settle down and that will likely be almost June..............63bkpkr

And Mikel I would enjoy Having Too Make A Third hike out because of what I'd found, thank you for the encouragement.

Attachments

• 195_9504.JPG
    195_9504.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 841
  • 195_9505.JPG
    195_9505.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 2,777
  • 195_9506.JPG
    195_9506.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 577
  • 195_9507.JPG
    195_9507.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 510

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well Herb,

You do have some nice, colorful new mining toys! That's a great little outfit you've put together. I hope you get some nice gold this season.

Thanks for inviting me over for a peek.

All the best,

Lanny

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LANNY, I GOTTA SAY THAT YOU ARE ONE OF THE MOST POLITE FOLKS TO POST ON TN. EVERY TIME THAT I READ ONE OF YOUR GOOD POSTS IT MAKES ME MORE AWARE OF THE QUALITY OF FOLKS HERE. THERE ARE A FEW THAT GET A LITTLE TIFFED FROM TIME TO TIME, BUT YOU ARE ALWAYS POSITIVE AND POLITE.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK AND GOD BLESS.
MIKEL

Last edited:

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
63, great looking rig. Can't wait to see pictures from your first outing... Happy Hunting...

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update 25May2012 (my happy un-birthday)

Still waiting for the finished flare end! Seems like free means slow oh well, no harm as I pulled my knee at work last week so no outing for this holiday most likely will get out by mid June but then that will be a metal detecting and panning weekend with Hefty1 and I am looking forward to that.........Enjoy...........63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread