Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am pretty sure you are right, even if it were primed in some way I am sure that it would probably cave in on itself.

I went to lowes today to check out what they had.
They did have the 4"x100' tube for $55 dollars and they had a very nice snap on 3" reducer that allowed you to snap on any 3" angle or coupler on the front.
You could make a really nice head with what they have there for under $20 dollars, including the handle.

With the 3" reducer on you would be hard pressed to get too large of rocks jammed up in there.
When looking at HD, remember the most common drain tile is perforated. You really don't want that.

Restricting the opening is good if all your rocks are spheres. Unfortunately they usually aren't and you can easily suck in a rock that passes the restrictor, but is long enough to cause a jam.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup, just gotta keep those eyes open. :)

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold-N-Sand X-Stream Pro, super mini, super prospector bazooka gold trap sluice's, Thompson 12v Drywasher, royal highbanker, and blue bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i wonder if a can of flex seal would solve the problems with holes in the walls. seams like it would work great but ive never used the stuff. this gravity idea really has me going i think im going to try it out if i can sneak it past the wife lol.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any rubberized quick dry sealant will work, just keep some sand paper on ya to rough the area up first so that it sticks well.
For larger cracks or holes you could keep thin rubber with you to place over the area to add a little strength.

I was talking to Chip over at the Miners Cache (Redding) and he warned that some wardens would still write you up if you clouded up the water over a gravel bed and that it is best to dump the end of the hose/sluice into a hole so that you do not harm spawning beds.

It does make good sense though as silt and other fine debris prevents oxygen from getting to the eggs, its just part of our responsibility as nature lovers ourselves. :)

big will

Oct 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have some 10 foot peaces of 3" corrugated piping if i put them together do u think it will work??its the flexable stuff and has male and female ends on all the peaces. i have about 5 of them. what about using a y conection so u have a suction pipe and u have the foce of the main pipe.u can even try a plastic container with a lid run the pipe into one end have a heavys seperating sistom then the exit pipe out the other end.at the head of the main pipe u can have a sqair bucket for a larger inlet.

Last edited:

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you have a good enough drop the 50' that you have should work.

Lowes sells couplers to mate the ends together.

Honestly though after you are done buying the couplers you would be in close to the same amount as the $55 dollar 4"x100' tubing.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The couplers for drain tile aren't exactly air/water tight. You'd still need to seal them up some way.

When I first ran across this idea, I stood in a Homedepot looking at 10' sections of solid trying to figure out a way to make it easier to carry/transport.

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted the in the Gravity dredge Thread in the Gold prospecting Form.
Tell me what you think.

I did the raised suction pool type with 60' to sluice and SOMEONE STOLE MY PIPE!!!!
But it did work with about half the suction of a standard 4" dredge.
I though up a new type that uses a standard venturi.
When I can spend a $100.00 I'll put it together and shulp it up to San Gabriel EFR
Let me know your thoughts.

Gravity Suction multiplier 1.0.png

It is legal. I isn't drawn to scale.
And you can put pipes in each other for easy portage.8-)

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold-N-Sand X-Stream Pro, super mini, super prospector bazooka gold trap sluice's, Thompson 12v Drywasher, royal highbanker, and blue bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
souds like a good idea keep us posted :icon_thumright:

iamgman

Jul 2, 2013
Kill this thread or this will be outlawed just like Gravel transfer systems and motorized Suction dredging before it. Nuff said.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread