63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That kind person is a good question and it would be useful for me to know answer as well.

I have a Tanaka 50 cc 2.2 HP engine with the same pump on it. From what I know for certain there are a bunch of bolts on the back side of the pump housing and a single gasket. Then 4 bolts holding the pump to the motor and I do not see a gasket there. I thought with this pump, I'm guessing here, that the impeller just slipped on over the keyed motor shaft and IF that is the case then some form of simple puller would be required to remove the impeller. NOTE: that last part is a guess
IF my guess is correct then I would spray some penetrating oil on the opening in the impeller and allow it to soak for 24 hours.

So now for someone who actually knows the answer to respond, please!...........63bkpkr

Just checked the manual as, 'I just Happen to have it sitting in my bedroom' that is the motor/pump/manuals, but there are no blow up diagrams or discussion about removing the impeller. My comment likely gives you an indication of my marital status ;D

larrymo

Greenie
Mar 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am a pump mech/machnist by trade at sinclair oil refinery. So that being said. Remove the four bolts on the back of the pump. That will allow you to remove the pump case. The impeller should be threaded on. To get it off you will need to keep the shaft from rotating and turn the impeller the same direction that it would be turning while operating. Generally they are left hand theads. Go to home depot or lowes they might have these, their called a strap wrench. Their not real expensive.And they'll keep you from buggering up you impeller when you loosen it up.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
i agree with LarryMo! i also use a strp wrench but pull the spark plug out and poke some rope into the cylinder to block the piston from rotating and then use the strap wrench around the impellor to remove it. when you replace the impellor,use some antiseize compound on all of the threads.and you only need to tighten it just a little more than hand tight. its removal direction is the same way the pump turns,so it tightens itsef as the pump runs. and DONT EVER use any penitrating oil on any part of that pump or youll regret it when ever you want to use it for gold! but thats just my advise!

larrymo

Greenie
Mar 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another thing to remember is do not touch the seal faces with your bare hands. Don't get any dirt or oil on the faces. These seals are a ceramic and I believe carbon faces they are water lubricated and any oil or dirt of any kind will ruin them and cause them to fail. After you do it once you'll see that it's a pretty easy process. Have fun :icon_thumright:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This should be the same procedure.

[youtube=425,350]IZOG7MUipL4[/youtube]

OP
OP
B

b.fralick

Greenie
Sep 1, 2003
Thanks for all the help guys. The impeller is off and now I can get busy changing seals. The strap wrench made life a whole lot easier. The next thing I'm curious about is horsepower vs. water flow, but I'll start a new thread for that.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
he forgot to say to use anti-seize compound on all threads for EZ removal next time! and id prefer to use a strap wrench on that impellor ,just incase!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread