New to dredging and need advice

Apr 13, 2012
Maryville, Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,
This is Ed Huffman the owner of Treasure Mountain Metal Detectors and TreasureNet Sponsor, I have metal detected the past 20 yrs and know finally getting interested in finding some gold the other way. From my research it seems that keene and proline are the way to go if you want a dredge, so my question to all of you experienced dredge owners is that knowing what you know now what would you recommend for someone just starting out (for example 2" or 3" dredge which manufacturer and do I get it straight from manufacturer or is there a recommended dealer like Eastern Prospecting?
I will be in the TN area and have one other person working with me and most of all I LIKE TO KEEP IT SIMPLE ... Look foward to hearing your advice

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Starting out I would go with a 2-1/2...simple and light and lots of fun just to crevice with.You will not be moving large amounts of material with it though.I have one(for sale)that I have had hours of fun with the family and to take a break from production.Have found a lot of gold with it too!Keene and Proline are both good companies and where to get one is a matter of shopping around

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Ed,
As is the case for all of lifes adventures, it all depends on what you want to do! Do you want to be underwater with a 'breathing device' or do you just want to wade say up to waist deep? If you want to be under water then the first thing to do is purchase some wax earplugs as they keep everything from entering your ears. This said, they also keep you from so many ear infections that it is just not worth not having and not using them.

Next, learn and understand what angle you need to have to keep what you are looking for and let all the rest drop back into the water. That is, the angle of the sluice box must be enough to let the classic rocks and dirt fall out while keeping the gold, platinum, diamonds, etc. behind the riffles.

Next do you want to have to change out carpet and do more difficult wash downs of a carpeted, removeable riffle type box or do you want something simpler? Note here - simpler means that the angle of the box for the amount of water going through it is more critical as the carpet free units need very little water to work and with too much water or angle everything gets washed out. The difference here is also in the weight of the unit. Plastic rifflebox weighs a couple of pounds while an aluminum riffle box with steel riffles and carpet can weigh 10 pounds or more "depending on the size of the unit".

Will you be trucking your gear to a river or will you be packing it in on a horse or can you do a good horse immitation with 200 lbs of gear including gas, engine, wet suit, food, tent, camping gear, sleeping bags, etc., etc.? Oh, and that is for a "backpackable suction dredge of about 2" size" without an air pump.

You already know about Keene and Proline, both good companies. Now check out CASluicebox.com and AngusMcKirk.com

Then consider how much you want to spend as the bigger the unit the more the money. Also, do you already have a spot that you know there is good gold there? Good gold there, one or two ounces a day without much in the way of overburden? Do not walk into this blindly (as I did) as I carried my 200+ pounds of gear into a remote location, going cross country without a trail and finding nothing except a beautiful black bear looking into my eyes with the same look on its face as was likely on mine, oh crap. Hey you will see some beautiful country and have some exciting adventures but do you really have a spot that will pay off in both at least a little gold (1/4 oz. for two to three weeks of work) as well as awesome wilderness country??

I do not recall what type of detectors you have, I have a GMT and it finds gold and it does not weigh much so that makes it easier to carry in. I go in for two weeks at a time, though now having a full time job will modify that, and my packs weigh 85 pounds as I start hiking in for three to five hours down a steep mountain trail. I would not miss those trips for anything but having to carry my dredge system and all my other items in was a real killer and I was In very good shape in 1992, I hiked alone then. I carried it in twice and got Zero gold. Most likely I got zero due to the fact I did not have clue to what I was doing. Hey, just being honest here. Also several years ago I purchased a 454 Casull revolver from Sturm Ruger. Subsequently had the barrel cut down and ported so it does not get in my way when I'm cliff climbing. I would "not leave home without it" as I've just had way too many meetings with bears. Are you bored of me yet? Ok then, I will stop for now. There is gold out there! I believe this and find it every year and of course here in California dredging is outlawed.

Good luck with your choices and have lots of fun whatever you decide to do............63bkpkr
feel free to PM me if you would like more details.

~ 1/4 oz on half dollar me with GMT in 49er country.
185_8517.JPG 188_8852.JPG

Last edited:

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From a newbie point of view, have you hooked up with some clubs in the area? I'd rather dive in (pardon the pun, not really, I kill me) with someone a couple of times before laying out the cash. Maybe find a used unit in the process. Maybe hook up a few new customers (for the other side) too.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A ez to move around lil'ol'puddle pumper 2 1/2" is a decent spot to start. Air and a blaster nozzle are absolutely a necessity as gulping dirty water from a snorkel or not having the ability to go a little deeper will definately spoil your day and gut infections from crik critters are NO fun n' the sun-tons a au 2 u2 -John

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A ez to move around lil'ol'puddle pumper 2 1/2" is a decent spot to start. Air and a blaster nozzle are absolutely a necessity as gulping dirty water from a snorkel or not having the ability to go a little deeper will definately spoil your day and gut infections from crik critters are NO fun n' the sun-tons a au 2 u2 -John

Amen x10!!!

auferret

Sep 25, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A permit may be needed to dredge in Tennessee. A quick web search brought up this page that is specific to Tellico where one is required. There is a number to the ranger station. I'm sure they can offer some help.

Tennessee Gold Dredging Permit Info

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I know a lot of people who started out with the 2 1/2" as there are so many of them around. I bought one myself. Within a year I upgraded to a 3".

The 3" highbanker/dredge combo is the ultimate all around machine. So many uses, and moves a decent amount of material as well. It can be packed in anywhere without too much extra effort. I'd hate to think about a 2 mile hike with a 4" and all the trips!

I would buy from a local dealer if i had the money to invest, glance around Craigslist if I didn't. Keene or Proline.... both make good units. I dunno about Proline but one thing i do know about about Keene is they are consistently backed up on orders due to micromanagement, unfortunately. 3 weeks or more out, starting at the beginning of every year and gets worse as you move on into dredge season. I think Pat's trying to do too much himself. Great guy and very helpful, BTW. Any time you have a question he's there to walk you through the situation and find a solution. So yeah, good and bad reviews there....

You will get it for the same price or maybe even a little lower from a dealer as compared to ordering from the factory. But you will also be helping out the local economy by doing so.

If you want to stick to strictly dredging, I wouldn't go with anything less than a 4" with air. You will quickly want something bigger if you start with anything less..

Best deals of the year are in the late fall to winter seasons.

Last edited:

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
Start small as you will find if it is for you or not. Easier to move about as well. Laws are changing as here in the Peoples Republic of CA. Is there enough around in your neck of the woods to find enough to pay for one? It is fun and interesting when you get the hang of it. Life is short so make the most of it. Good luck.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
i agree with John,but id first hookup with someone (in a club,or??) that has a dredge and work with him for the experience BEFORE id buy any type of equipment so that youll know what works for you! otherwise you may dump a pile of cash and decise its not for you! but i love dredgeing! i have a 4 inch over/under dredge.the heck with shoveling!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread