1st Dredge Set Up

Bigwill

Dec 21, 2011
Washington Co. Al
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I received my Gold Grabber 4" Dredge last week. It came with carpet in the upper section then a 2" gap with nothing (called a nugget trap) then carpet in the lower section. This dredge has a flared sluice end. I used it twice last week and did catch some fines but I don't know how much I lost either. Just started running the concentrates thru the blue bowl last night. I am considering taking the carpet out of the upper section and put in rubber mat. Opinions? Anyone else have experience with the Gold Grabber Dredges by Alan Trees?

Gold Grabber 4inch.jpg

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If rubber mat worked better, Alan would have put it in. He knows his dredge designs. If you're working with flour / flood gold, adjust the throttle so that you're getting suction, but not overpowering the sluice box. Flour / flood gold doesn't like fast water. If you're into nuggets / pickers then, throttle up!
Bob

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's a very nice rig ... that dovetail sluice should catch fine gold . Alan has good designs.Underburden gave good advice. I would leave it as is .

OP
OP
Bigwill

Bigwill

Dec 21, 2011
Washington Co. Al
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks guys. Just wanted to check opinions since I have a whopping 3 trips experience of dredging. Read so much on forums of gold hog matting, miners moss, carpet, mats etc so just checking. Definately was catching flour and flood gold last trip so will leave as is. Was running about less than half throttle and plenty suction

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
flour and flood gold , sounds like your definitely in the ball park. now get on some pickers !

OP
OP
Bigwill

Bigwill

Dec 21, 2011
Washington Co. Al
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did 2 cleanups ended up with 4 gal of cons. Classifying down 4 sizes and run thru bluebowl then realized why didnt I run those cons thru my le trap sluice to reduce the cons? Do that next time

OP
OP
Bigwill

Bigwill

Dec 21, 2011
Washington Co. Al
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Larger little pile is total so far from 2 trips dredging and 2 trips sluicing.Little stuff by side of pan from last trip dredging.

ForumRunner_20120718_205316.png

ForumRunner_20120718_205336.png

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your set up is running good. you have some decent fines .once you get on the pay streak pickers will soon follow. there is good color in Ala.

OP
OP
Bigwill

Bigwill

Dec 21, 2011
Washington Co. Al
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok you guys were right. Left dredge as it was with carpet. Spent about 4 1/2 hrs dredging in central Al. with kilnmaint. Lots of little specs

ForumRunner_20120726_225132.png

ForumRunner_20120726_225208.png

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice dredge...... Looks to be working fine :icon_thumleft:
Carpet always works good on fines just a little more work to clean.

GG~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions