Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks,
Well, it looks like I will not get out for an extended stay trip till early September however, my brother has just returned from a highbanker adventure in the outback of Alaska. This a multiple item adventure - the trip in, the work there, the trip out - and begins with towing his 6 wheeler from Eagle River to the put in, firing up the Polaris and heading out on the trail. He usually has to ford two deep rivers with the water coming up to his waist but this year the water only came up to the center line of the axles and the second crossing was almost not there it was so dry. In camp they set up his home-made highbanker and shoveled and sorted for a day, 6 hours. The gold in the blue pan is from working only half the concentrates. Some additional engineering work needs to be done on the new highbanker and once completed I expect he will head back in.
The trail to the mine claim when dry is only dusty but it is a clay area for many miles. On the morning of the haul out day it was raining with the clouds down on the ground. One vehicle, not my brothers, was done on the cheap so they blew a hydraulic hose and one of the buggies went back to the camp to borrow a real hose. That in place they continued out on this slime gray muck. My brother was in the lead and hit an especially sensitive spot and his 6x responded by sliding out and almost tipping over. He corrected for this and made it out without incident. With his example having been observed the fellas behind him went through "the spot" differently than he did. Once back at the parking spot for the highway rigs the group got to talking about my brothers little slide and commented about it being a little tense there. His response was "if you thought it was a little tense for you then you should take a look at the seat of my six wheeler", I guess the plastic seat cover was still crimped up from the pucker factor of the ride.

Gold is always good to look at! Alaska  Gold  July  August 2012.jpg .............63bkpkr

Last edited:
OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes russau he deserves a 10, top of the scale, for going out there especially those times fording the cold rivers when the water reaches his waist. He has multiple snorkel systems on his 6by but the pilot of the rig must stay in the seat and 'endure'. He's been going out to this mining claim for several years prospecting, trying out various devices and once he made a Pelton Wheel to supply the camp with enough electricity to run the lights at night and I think it powered a small fridge. There are lots of good stories around the campfire at night..........63bkpkr

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Purdy shine . I would like to get some Alaska gold some
day .

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Real Nice 63 and good hearing from ya.
Got this just today. Wish the spoon was full.
Not sure if today was worth it, If the hike out and "the work" didn't just about kill me, then to top it off the drive home each night (gas prices). But have had far better days to date. :tongue3:
63, Cal still has good gold but can't say I blame ya for looking north, I did that last year myself. Hoser it is going well, nothing suspected or corrected. :skullflag:

DSCF2837.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF2837.jpg
    DSCF2837.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 108

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amen Russau bigger than anything I've gotten this year,so far that is. Dam construction done,brush cleared,boulders winched and pond just a waiting now. John :laughing7:

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Gravel Hog, Just add it to the rest of the gold you got in that big ole flour barrel. :thumbsup: We all know that it's so dang full, that you can no longer get the lid on.:laughing7:

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love being outdoors and spending time with the kids.Some people ask why spend so much for so little.I spend a lot of my time showing newbies on the river and when they find that first speck they are ready to spend all they got to get more.The fever sure starts fast It doesnt make any common sense to spend $100 to make a $1.00 but the time and memories with my boys is worth every penny spent.A big bonus is the people I get to meet several from TNET and all great people.If i didnt spend the cash on prospecting it would go to booze and women and mamma would not like that.To me its all about the hunt the shine is just a bonus.Now waiting for some rain to get water flowing again and get back at it.
Happy Hunting

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gravel Hog, Just add it to the rest of the gold you got in that big ole flour barrel. :thumbsup: We all know that it's so dang full, that you can no longer get the lid on.:laughing7:

Yep, just last night dumped out the container of this summers take and turns out to be a real good season power snuving thus far.
Plenty more time to make additions. Only put a half day in today and quite happy with the finds, sorry no pics. :tongue3: No fire brigade makes it even better. No need to worry, Hoser. Tinderbox I tell ya. unsure.gif

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions