Dredging tomorrow, california, come get us coppers

OP
OP
V

vini

Jan 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We're considering trying gravity dredge fullpan that should put us in the clear, just need the right conditions we'll be working on the idea.

Oakview I like the gold you guys worked that first run that was small but chunky, thats hard diggin in there i was hurting for the whole next day luggin them buckets up the hill but this will sure get a guy in shape.

im hoping to head up high this weekend got dredge carb put back on and am having trouble with it flooding, i have tried resetting float instead of level we bent it up so less gas would be in bowl and that didi'nt work put a new kit in it and thats not the trouble, any ideas why this carb would flood other then those 2 reason?

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
We're considering trying gravity dredge fullpan that should put us in the clear, just need the right conditions we'll be working on the idea.

Oakview I like the gold you guys worked that first run that was small but chunky, thats hard diggin in there i was hurting for the whole next day luggin them buckets up the hill but this will sure get a guy in shape. Vini I am a fan of the chunky stuff myself. I think we had a good spot by my son was running the water a bit hot, but you know how these kids, they know it all, just ask them

im hoping to head up high this weekend got dredge carb put back on and am having trouble with it flooding, i have tried resetting float instead of level we bent it up so less gas would be in bowl and that didi'nt work put a new kit in it and thats not the trouble, any ideas why this carb would flood other then those 2 reason?
Sounds like you have it covered. I know those Briggs are very finiky when the float levels are high and will run a rich condition. Wish I was prospecting this weekend, but my son has a baseball showcase this weekend.. Oh well best of luck in your spot this weekend

Update,,,,, baseball cancelled, thinking of a trip slucing at Squaw Leap, or maybe a trip over the Briceburg on Sunday for some sniping.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

vini

Jan 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the float has a hole its filling with gas causing it to stay open, new float is ordered .

Yeah them young guys know it all just like we did heh heh, little wiser now with the passing of time.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a engine-pump-and a suction jet of any kind your dredging-box has nuttn' to do with it. Although stupid to run without it in any form as your already dredging so ya minds well make some cash for the fines.....John

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"If you have a engine-pump-and a suction jet of any kind your dredging..." THAT'S legal. Suction dredge MINING has been banned. I know thats a long
shot, but if one judge sided with this "loophole" we drag our dredges out of the cobwebs and drive DFG CRAZY. with 3 or 4 thousand dredges scattered around the state, and fish and game wardens understaffed, it could have a positive outcome IMO.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DFG Final Adopted Regulations
(1) Suction dredging. For purposes of Section 228 and
228.5, the use of vacuum or suction dredge equipment (i.e.
suction dredging) is defined as the use of a motorized
suction system to vacuum material from the bottom of a
river, stream or lake and to return all or some portion of
that material to the same river, stream or lake for the
extraction of minerals
. A person is suction dredging as
defined when all of the following components are operating
together:

(A) A hose which vacuums sediment from a river, stream
or lake; AND
(B) A motorized pump; AND
(C) A sluice box.

Motorized. For purposes of these regulations,
“motorized” means a mechanical device powered by
electricity or an internal combustion engine.

BLM definitions:
Dredge - A common piece of mining equipment today, the dredge sucks up dirt and gravel from within the stream bed by the use of water pressure. The dredge is operated by the use of a water pump and a network of hoses. Dredge hose sizes can be anywhere from one inch in diameter to 20 inches or more.

Sluice Box - A long, narrow, wood or metal artificial channel that water passes through when put in a creek or stream. Nineteenth century miners used and twentieth century miners still use sluice boxes to separate the dirt and junk material away from the gold. Gold, the most dense metal known to man, stays in the sluice box because of it's heavy weight.

Webster:
Hose
2: a flexible tube for conveying fluids (as from a faucet or hydrant)

Sluice
4: a long inclined trough usually on the ground; especially : such a contrivance paved usually with riffles to hold quicksilver for catching gold

All that is banned is one of these:

k25025.jpg

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with every word above. Just leave the sluice box home and you become legal. You are not extracting minerals.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if anyone wants to jump in and run with this idea, feel free to go ahead, otherwise i'm going to back off and let it go. not worth a pissing match.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the float has a hole its filling with gas causing it to stay open, new float is ordered .

Yeah them young guys know it all just like we did heh heh, little wiser now with the passing of time.

Vini.... If the float has a hole in it, it will fill with gas, sink in the bowl and the carb will continue to try and fill the bowl to raise the float. Another thing, if it has been sitting for a while varnished gas will sometimes make that float stick in the downward position and cause a rich condition. Some carb cleaner and pay close attention to the needle valve and seat area. Hope your riffles are full of nuggetts and pickers and your cons loaded with fines8-)

OP
OP
V

vini

Jan 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gonna get a new float but i hate these plastic ones that are being sold i lke the old brass and i think i can get them online not in the mower shops.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gonna get a new float but i hate these plastic ones that are being sold i lke the old brass and i think i can get them online not in the mower shops.
I've had to do 2 carbs with the plastic floats. Last one the fuel ended up jelled so I had to run a fine wire through all the orifices (can we say orifices here?). Nuthing like putting everything back together and still no fuel in the bowl,... Grrrrrr :BangHead:

I still have that can sitting out back, that stuff won't evaporate.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taken straight from the CDFG front page on suction dredge regulations-read-then reread the last sentence -you cannot suck-the end -Johncannot currently predict when, or if, suction dredge will be lawful in California or when permits may be available to interested miners. [h=2]Mining Which is not Prohibited by the Moratorium[/h]
The current moratorium originally established by SB 670 and extended by AB 120 and SB 1018 does not prohibit or restrict non-motorized recreational mining activities, including panning for gold. It also does not prohibit or restrict some other forms of mining, including, for example, practices known as high banking, power sluicing, sniping or using a gravity dredge, so long as gravel and earthern materials are not vacuumed with a motorized system from the river or stream.

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good to know, Hoser (how ya been fairing?) Haven't had to test the regs but... ya know...

Suppose we should all pay Mister Davey the 3.5K and bum rush the Rogue public mining area in hopes of a rare nuggy. :laughing7:

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taken straight from the CDFG front page on suction dredge regulations-read-then reread the last sentence -you cannot suck-the end -Johncannot currently predict when, or if, suction dredge will be lawful in California or when permits may be available to interested miners. [h=2]Mining Which is not Prohibited by the Moratorium[/h]
The current moratorium originally established by SB 670 and extended by AB 120 and SB 1018 does not prohibit or restrict non-motorized recreational mining activities, including panning for gold. It also does not prohibit or restrict some other forms of mining, including, for example, practices known as high banking, power sluicing, sniping or using a gravity dredge, so long as gravel and earthern materials are not vacuumed with a motorized system from the river or stream.
You are quoting text from a web page, not the regulations. The link to the regulations are on that webpage and define what suction dredging is. A hose, a pump, and a sluice ALL operating together.

If you do not have a sluice (or hose for that matter), you are not suction dredging per regulations.

OP
OP
V

vini

Jan 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
had job cancel today so i drove to briceburg did lil digging and video will post this week some time.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Vini I was up there on Sunday, going to try and go back Saturday. Still haven't got everything cleaned up yet. PS got it all cleaned up, not much coarse stuff where we were digging,lots of pounded flat pieces, long way from the water and looooonnnng haul to the slucie. Hope to do better on Saturday....

Attachments

• Briceburg 001.JPG
    Briceburg 001.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread