Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kickass vids, the first didnt have much of a drop but the two tubes helped him gain a stronger head it looked like. :)

Thanks for posting!

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
he needs to have a longer jet (10 times the diameter of his suction line) to get the maximum suction through his line! mulitiple lines for the feeding of the jet is a very good idea~

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Im thinking though, having double lines feeding wouldnt increase much if any as the same volume of water is merging into a space with the other volume that happens to have the same volume in the merging chamber.

It would be nice to try a test though with a flow meter to see if that really is the case, or have someone with hydrodynamic experience tell us what they think.

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted the in the Gravity dredge Thread in the Gold prospecting Form.
Tell me what you think.

I did the raised suction pool type with 60' to sluice and SOMEONE STOLE MY PIPE!!!!
But it did work with about half the suction of a standard 4" dredge.
I though up a new type that uses a standard venturi.
When I can spend a $100.00 I'll put it together and shulp it up to San Gabriel EFR
Let me know your thoughts.
Gravity Suction multiplier 1.0.png

It is legal. I isn't drawn to scale.
And you can put pipes in each other for easy portage.

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Having two pipes feeding will lower the water friction on the inside of the feed lines. Turbulence will remain the same, but two lines will help overcome the loss caused by the water turbulance. Would have been far lighter and easier to use just one larger hose instead.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply forget the jet and go sucking as no jet needed or dual hoses or nuttn-KISS -keep it simple and stupid and prosper-John

Attachments

• 100_2454.jpg
    100_2454.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,920

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
John your picture is hard to get a perspective of how steep the fall of the creek is, without giving out your location can you give some idea how steep it is... The picture makes it look very steep???

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hoser John said:
Simply forget the jet and go sucking as no jet needed or dual hoses or nuttn-KISS -keep it simple and stupid and prosper-John

Would'nt the suction for that be poor? Moving material through the hose may be difficult. I've never really tried so I may be wrong.

AURabbit's diagram looks good. Either dual or single supply. Reasonably simple if you have a dredge available.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
12' of drop over 40' of 4" dredge hose. To figure foot pounds= pi X the radius squared=per sq. in x 12 x 40 divide by cubic inches of water in a gallon of water PLUS the resultant mph with the inertia created by X weight at 45 degree angle for 40' =OUCH. MUCH more than any convalution trying to create inertia by slowing it down utilizing a jet is a bloody joke as using as many hoses as you want=simple grade school math-John

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EZ example= take a 5lb weight and pick it up---now take that same weight--raise it up a foot and drop it on your hand :tongue3: gravity and inertia are your friends as once you've slowed them down you've lost all that you seek with a restriction of a jet. Now consider 50-60 lbs of weight traveling at a high rate of speed slamming into ya and viola== OUCH .As with ALL mining KISS rules-keep it simple and stupid and prosper as convalution is NEVER the solution-John :headbang:

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
So why can't one simply roll out hose upstream until you have enough drop/pressure to run a normal dredge nozzle? I have seen other the suction stuff into the siphon hose, which makesno sense to me, especially if your useing the corrigated drain hose. I would think all your fines would get cought up inside the hose. Iam looking at a long suction hose that once primed, will have enough head pressure to run my nozzle. A half pound per foot, minus losses from friction loss. Got to find a nice section of river that has some good drop in a short section. Also wondered if a bigger inlet to "funnel" or capture the water better would help some.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So why can't one simply roll out hose upstream until you have enough drop/pressure to run a normal dredge nozzle? I have seen other the suction stuff into the siphon hose, which makesno sense to me, especially if your useing the corrigated drain hose. I would think all your fines would get cought up inside the hose. Iam looking at a long suction hose that once primed, will have enough head pressure to run my nozzle. A half pound per foot, minus losses from friction loss. Got to find a nice section of river that has some good drop in a short section. Also wondered if a bigger inlet to "funnel" or capture the water better would help some.
If you assume your pump supplies water to the jet at 50psi, you'd have to have an elevation gain of 115' to get the same pressure using a hose. If the stream slope was 6'/100', you'd need 1,900' of hose to get 50psi.
Jim

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 of my great partners tried that with 2600' of hose, they spent a fortune but the drop still wasn't enough as must be pretty radical to get good suction. Never got that jet to work for squat but they bought smaller 2" hose so could not just straight suck(4" works great) as with a good gravity fall. You can go quite a ways and still have decent suction above the fall-John

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Probably the problem with that length of hose is volume. Obviously, you can get the pressure, but there's a lot of line loss in a 1/2 mile of hose. John, do you know how much pressure a typical pump on a dredge delivers to the power jet? Just curious.
Jim

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
12' of drop over 40' of 4" dredge hose. To figure foot pounds= pi X the radius squared=per sq. in x 12 x 40 divide by cubic inches of water in a gallon of water PLUS the resultant mph with the inertia created by X weight at 45 degree angle for 40' =OUCH. MUCH more than any convalution trying to create inertia by slowing it down utilizing a jet is a bloody joke as using as many hoses as you want=simple grade school math-John
"simple grade school math"? Do they even teach that any more? :laughing7: Or is that something the kids now days have to research in the lost arts section of the library? :tongue3::tongue3:

Bnugget

Oct 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can personally say that johns method of just sucking works well, I used 170' of 6" schedule 40 pvc(Electrical conduit) duct taped together at the seams and was very impressed with the suction I got. The bell ends of the pipe allowed me to attach my 6" dredge hose and nozzle to the front end and dumped into a sluice at the other. The nice part was no noise!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483811094.398414.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483810982.629731.jpg

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how much drop?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions