PVC floating dredge

Grance

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking of building a PVC framed floating dredge from 2inch PVC and just wondering what you guys think about it and or if it will work. I will be useing 2 15 Gallon poly drums as pontoons. The pontoons wont be realy attached but more traped by the frame and 8in legs that go down from the frame that will dubble as leggs. The PVC pipe frame will be sealed just so you know. I have a sluce box 10in x 36in. One thing I'm not sure about is how many GHP pump should I look for. I found one that is a pacific hydrostar 2" clearwater 212cc and wieghs 61lbs it dose 9000GPH . The over all size of the dredge is 29inches long and 42 inches wide all parts and componets costing under $700-800 dollars Try to keep the cost as low as possible I have seen a few people useing PVC clean out fittings as a power jet with road cone as a flare think ill try that as well.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking of building a PVC framed floating dredge from 2inch PVC and just wondering what you guys think about it and or if it will work. I will be useing 2 15 Gallon poly drums as pontoons. The pontoons wont be realy attached but more traped by the frame and 8in legs that go down from the frame that will dubble as leggs. The PVC pipe frame will be sealed just so you know. I have a sluce box 10in x 36in. One thing I'm not sure about is how many GHP pump should I look for. I found one that is a pacific hydrostar 2" clearwater 212cc and wieghs 61lbs it dose 9000GPH . The over all size of the dredge is 29inches long and 42 inches wide all parts and componets costing under $700-800 dollars Try to keep the cost as low as possible I have seen a few people useing PVC clean out fittings as a power jet with road cone as a flare think ill try that as well.

Did a search and came up with this photo of an unfinished one..... That's all I have

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 1,510

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And this one.......strapped to an air mattress

Attachments

• DW-100AS[1].jpg
    DW-100AS[1].jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 3,364

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PVC is designed to hold bursting pressure inside the pipe. It has very little strength in flexion, along with the problem of cracking of chipping if it bangs on a rock. Of course, then you have to very sure you have the ends completely sealed.

I personally wouldn't use a PVC frame, but it's your equipment you are risking, not mine.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too much weight for floatation provided and love to roll over and play submarine. Just go to dry cleaners,hotels, city dump, or junkshops as 25 gallon barrels abound for next to nuttn' and provide righteous floatation-John

Attachments

• Big Red Toy 001.jpg
    Big Red Toy 001.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 381

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is mine but it is wide and has metal frame.NOT FOR FAST WATER as John says it will submarine. I am building a new one for my other dredge with 15 gal barrels

CIMG0072.jpg CIMG0086.jpg

And a video

Last edited:

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He said he'd be using 2 15 Gallon poly drums as pontoons.

I don't see pvc as a practical structural element. Sure, it makes nice highbanker legs and whatnot. But if you break a leg on your highbanker, your engine isn't going for a swim.

I have seen PVC tube chairs at the thrift stores, so maybe something could be worked out. I just picture heavy and breaky.

I see bunches of things all the times at the trhiftstores that would make nice framework. Camp Cots,..

sunchasersling.jpg

..crutches, walkers, lawn chairs. That, some mule tape and some boy scout knots,...

Tippy is overcome by ballast. Could be something as simple as canvas bags {take your canvas bags, take your canvas bags,..} loaded with weight (know anywhere you can get sand or gravel?) and hung underwater from the dredge.

dredge_on_water_c.jpg

0.34_0.18_0.09_0.08_464_268_csupload_19129365.jpg

Down Chicago?s Drain

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Grance for the amount of $$$ you stated (700/800) you could go out and buy a nice used 2 inch dredge and not have to fool with it or make it work, and be done with it! your PVC idea will be heavy and brittel in the (cold)water. sounds like youd be better off with a stand for the sluice and build a flair so you can dredge.

S

stefen

Why not use some truck tire inner-tubes and build a stable quad-base?

Should stand up to rough water conditions.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 way works good also as a t configuration with 2 under the engine is a old school design. John..... thats a 6" under the Perdone crossing bridge back in about 1995 or so I believe with 3 way.

Attachments

• 03-25-2011 01;08;27PM.JPG
    03-25-2011 01;08;27PM.JPG
    219.2 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Grance

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The local odd fellows lodge donated an old 1inch square tubeing coat rack to me the other day its big so im going to cut it up and see what i can make frame wise out of it. I would buy a used one but bilding and problum solving are more fun now on to the pump. Not sure how much GPH my 10x36 sluce will need will the pacific hydrostar 2" clearwater 212cc be good enuff

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Call around to your local scrapyards, find the one who re-sells to the public - the one used by artists and backyard fabricators

They'll have more useful parts and pieces than you ever imagined for a whole lot less than you'd think

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
2" will not work. First it would not support the weight, you need volume of air. What you need is 8" or larger but then the weight of 2 - 5 foot pieces of 8" and the end caps is not going to be light. I have a bunch of these I get weekly from where I work. I put them on craigslist and sell them all the time. These are 15 gallon barrels.

15gallon.jpg

Last edited:

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He said he'd be using 2 15 Gallon poly drums as pontoons.

I don't see pvc as a practical structural element. Sure, it makes nice highbanker legs and whatnot. But if you break a leg on your highbanker, your engine isn't going for a swim.

I have seen PVC tube chairs at the thrift stores, so maybe something could be worked out. I just picture heavy and breaky.

I see bunches of things all the times at the trhiftstores that would make nice framework. Camp Cots,..

View attachment 680815

..crutches, walkers, lawn chairs. That, some mule tape and some boy scout knots,...

Tippy is overcome by ballast. Could be something as simple as canvas bags {take your canvas bags, take your canvas bags,..} loaded with weight (know anywhere you can get sand or gravel?) and hung underwater from the dredge.

View attachment 680799

View attachment 680800

Down Chicago?s Drain

The second picture is the Trev Alty's Suitcase Dredge as he loves to call it , the setup just sits as in picture on a auto inner tube .
I wonder what size of the drums in the third picture? and they are attached to each other and put all together under the frame?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 3rd pic, the drums look like 30 gallon size. There would be no reason to connect them together, they are just bungied to the frame.

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would think that the framework and pontoons are probably the least expensive part of the dredge. Why make something from scraps that's going to keep the most expensive part of the dredge out of the water? Just sayin.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
depending on the dredge size and current speed of the water , most people use the 15/30 gallon barrels. the bigger dredges use the 55s these barrels are straped to the frame and are NOT attached to each other for portability reasons and to prevent leaks.

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 3rd pic, the drums look like 30 gallon size. There would be no reason to connect them together, they are just bungied to the frame.

Jason, thanks for the clarification. I realize that connecting them together will make it somehow difficult in portability .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread