Waterous Floto-Pump Floating Fire Pump - Any good for dredging?

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Heya everyone;

I would like to go up to Oregon next year so I have been thinking about a Dredge.

A friend has a Waterous Floto-Pump in awesome shape for sale ($400) and I was wondering if this would be good for a dredge.

I think it is the standard version which is the 8hp motor and the Centrifugal pump has a 1.5" discharge and flows 140gpm at 105psi.

I will probably run a Keene A52 behind it.

It seems to me that this is a really great easy to pack setup.

Here are my questions.

1.) Will it work well?
2.) Will a 4" tube work well or should I go smaller?
3.) Should I use a nozzle or venturi tube and what size inlet?
4.) What is the best price & quality jet flare out there?

Thanks everyone.

Here is a video made by waterous to help give you an idea of this pump and the design.

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
to me it is to small for a 4 inch line. mybe a 2 - 2 1/2 inch .plus it looks like there isnt a throttel control, so itll be running wide open and youll not be able to controll your water. but since it is your friend, ask him if you could try it out.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to me it is to small for a 4 inch line. mybe a 2 - 2 1/2 inch .plus it looks like there isnt a throttel control, so itll be running wide open and youll not be able to controll your water. but since it is your friend, ask him if you could try it out.

What Russau said, And using an A-52 I wouldn't recommend more than a 2" to 2-1/2" anyway.

1.) Will it work well? It should work ok, but for $400 you may want to look at a used dredge.
2.) Will a 4" tube work well or should I go smaller? You will have to go smaller: 2" to 2-1/2"
3.) Should I use a nozzle or venturi tube and what size inlet? I would go with a 2" to 2-1/2" suction nozzle.... with a 1" to 1-1/4" inlet
4.) What is the best price & quality jet flare out there? You wont need a jet if you go with the suction nozzle. but if you want to use a flair instead of a crash box, then a traffic cone works great, and can be found for free sometimes. See: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/d...633-dredge-hopper-header-box.html#post2285309

GG~

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to investigate the pump a little more. I have doubts about the flow ratings you listed (unless you pulled them from a manufacturers website). The reason for my doubts is because that pump look VERY MUCH like rural water supply pumps used by fire departments. If so, it will most like put out a higher volume and higher pressure of water.

Edit - I just watched part of the video, so yes, this is a FD pump. This only thing I don't like about this is the pump intake. I would much rather have an intake footing that went down 6 inches to a foot to insure you didn't lose pressure from time to time, even though this is a self priming pump.

The topic of horizontal pumps has been discussed before. They are not "ideal" for dredging, but if you are creating a non-standard version, then I don't see why it can't work.
one more thought, this pump is probably too small for a 4 inch dredge, but should work on a 3 inch.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neo Tokyo,

After reading Jason's post I realized that 140 gpm would probably be enough to power a 3" suction hose although 150 gpm is what is normally used on a 3"
A 4" would require at least 200 gpm.

If you do go to a 3" then I would suggest a different sluice than the A-52 which isn't really designed for dredging.

GG~

OP
OP
NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the replies guys. :)

The flow specs are from their website, there is a high volume/psi version but I doubt this is that one, they look the same though so I guess the change is in the pump itself.

I really wouldnt go over a 2.5" but the reason why I asked if it could do a 4" is because I would want that buffer of being able to flow enough for a larger size than just being able to flow enough for what I wanted.
So its good to know that you guys think it could do a 2.5" - 3"

I know this isnt an optimal design for a dredge but the reason why I like it is because it is so simple, small and quick to set up.
Sluice - Hose - Pump - GO! :D

This should also be California legal in the way I would use it.

I would dig out a large hole on the side of the creek and then after a nice hole is made I would dump the hose into the hole and fill it up with the material that I am sucking up.
After the hole is filled up I would shut the pump off and shovel right into my Bazooka from there.

This way it breaks what a suction dredge is because I am not directly going into a sluice and I also dont silt up the creek as much at once because I am loading into my sluice one shovel at a time.

What do you guys think about the California work around?
On Paper its legal but I am sure I might still have to fight a ticket or two and prove that it is.

The California work around is the real appeal for me with this setup.

He also has a home made (with keene pump and sluice) 2" Dredge that he is only asking $300 for but would probably get me into more trouble even if I used it the same way.

What do you guys think?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think if you get caught sucking any bottom material with powered equipment you will get a fine / jailtime.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think ...:icon_scratch: ..... Get out of California !!!
Spend your money in a more mining friendly state like Nevada and others. :dontknow:

Life is too short to put up with their BS, and I see it getting worse there as time goes on.
You can always go back when/if it changes for the better.

Seriously....
GG~

OP
OP
NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sucks. :(

Even with a work around they still kick our arses. :(

In that case I might just buy his $300 dollar 2" dredge. :P

Still the idea of the fire pump is appealing.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have used those. The pressure hose gets very hard, and actually pushes the pump under. The weight of the water filled hose and the pressure against the pump do push it under. Not all the way under, but the float part is fully under. I have had to have someone go out and actually hold it up. You might rig some kind of solid floats to assist floatation. They do have a lot of pressure for a fairly light pump. I dont know about California dredging laws.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have used these things alot(fireman)and they do produce good volume and lift through 1.5" hose. BUT, most of them are powered by a 2-stroke Briggs which makes them very loud fuel hogs that don't idle very well and flood easily.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
I use the same pump, but the three inch model and I have been pumping water out of a old mind shaft and the water level is down 20 ft and I seldom run it over idle and have plenty of water. The fuel consumption on that floating pump and being unable to throttle down would sour me on that pump. If you can't control the throttle, it seems like you would tend to blow everything out of the box. JMHO

Last edited:
OP
OP
NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think I am going to offer him some gold and see if he takes it. ;)
He changed his mind on selling his dredge, his wife said she wasnt done with it yet! :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions