Pot growers threatening the Coho

S

stefen

For those that are not familiar with California geography, Eureka is a coastal city near the the Oregon border, whereas Yosemite is located mid-state east of Fresno...maybe 350 miles apart...

Whoever wrote the LA Times article failed the geography test...

Wonder how many other facts are incorrect...hmmmmmmmmm

Eureka is located in the Giant Redwood forest...and one doesn't randomly cut a tree with a 20 foot caliper and 250 to 350 foot height...even if they did, removing the trunk and support roots is a major undertaking....

And yes, there are numerous MJ crop growing areas, especially in the Lost Coast area...an area that has the highest population of Black Bears, Cougars and Rattlesnakes per square mile than any other place in the western U.S.

If there was a forest fire in this zone, half of California would enjoy an involuntary high...

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stefan,I beleive they were simply pointing out the fact is is widespread...statewide.I am personally alarmed about the Fischers,they are beyond Rare anywhere in california,much more so than anything us dredgers are supposedly harming

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We had our chance to starve the cartels and gangsters out of business, by legalizing it. The other main benefit would have been big time revenue for the state (nah, we don't need revenue were doing fine in Cal).
Hey, Washington and Colorado beat us to it.
Don't get me wrong as I would love to see the pot farms gone out of my forest but can't see the goverment agencies ever winning "the war".
After 40+ years, ain't it time for a new approach. Just my oppinion, not everyone agrees, quite apparent by the propostion election results back when we voted on it.

Last edited:

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stefan,I beleive they were simply pointing out the fact is is widespread...statewide.I am personally alarmed about the Fischers,they are beyond Rare anywhere in california,much more so than anything us dredgers are supposedly harming

Fascinating animal. One of 'my boys' brought me a foot a couple of years ago. Having fur on the pads I had to look it up. Only animal I could find that did was the pine fischer. Thought I saw on the other day but it was too quick for a positive ID. And what's up with the bears this year? I spotted 2 more sets of tracks in the snow this morning. That's 4 this week. Shoudn't they be napping?

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fascinating animal. One of 'my boys' brought me a foot a couple of years ago. Having fur on the pads I had to look it up. Only animal I could find that did was the pine fischer. Thought I saw on the other day but it was too quick for a positive ID. And what's up with the bears this year? I spotted 2 more sets of tracks in the snow this morning. That's 4 this week. Shoudn't they be napping?

Calisdad,yes the Fischer and the Pine Marten used to be prevelant here.I have trappers journals from the 1900's that actually came here to target them.....no they did not wipe em out.There are ringtail cats here too,that are VERY rare.I remember seeing them quite often when I was a kid(I am not that old)Our Place in Montana is abound with Fischers and Pine Martin.....I dont know what or why they are in the dire straights they are here?
The Bears........you are going to see some very unnatural and very interesting things take place here in the years to come.With the stoppage of hounds,the bear quota will never be filled again.The quota was to be increased this year as well,but F&G knew they cut their throats not helping to support the Cause,and are not moving the quota now.........No one truely knows exactly why the huge increase in the bear population either,it has steadily increased for the last 20 years,and will skyrocket now.I do know that the use of hounds is the most efficient and ethical means to selectively control the population.It breaks my heart to have lost it on the lies we did,just like the dredging,its bad enough to lose but when its lost on the basis of lies that really hurts..back to your question......Cali Bears dont really hibernate per se,especially the Boars,as you said,they "nap",they will nap longer if they have a good fat reserve....if not hunger drives them out to feed.This year was a so-so acorn crop which is a staple to the bears diet,so they dont have the reserves,this is something that will happen more frequently as well with a heightened population.....a hungry Predator is a dangerous one!!

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had our chance to starve the cartels and gangsters out of business, by legalizing it. The other main benefit would have been big time revenue for the state (nah, we don't need revenue were doing fine in Cal).
Hey, Washington and Colorado beat us to it.
Don't get me wrong as I would love to see the pot farms gone out of my forest but can't see the goverment agencies ever winning "the war".
After 40+ years, ain't it time for a new approach. Just my oppinion, not everyone agrees, quite apparent by the propostion election results back when we voted on it.
I do agree to a point.....how will the "Bootlegged",crops be stopped on Public lands?How can you Tax something you can grow in your bath tub?

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Calisdad,yes the Fischer and the Pine Marten used to be prevelant here.I have trappers journals from the 1900's that actually came here to target them.....no they did not wipe em out.There are ringtail cats here too,that are VERY rare.I remember seeing them quite often when I was a kid(I am not that old)Our Place in Montana is abound with Fischers and Pine Martin.....I dont know what or why they are in the dire straights they are here?

Kuger, I have the ringtales all over on some of my claims. Very odd creature like a cross between a monkey and a lemur??? I also seen this year a increase in weasels and river otters. Off Topic Sorry!

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kuger, I have the ringtales all over on some of my claims. Very odd creature like a cross between a monkey and a lemur??? I also seen this year a increase in weasels and river otters. Off Topic Sorry!

I am thrilled to hear that bud!!!!They are a cool creature!!Also glad to hear the increase in Weasles and otters those are all things that used to be prevelant and are not commonly seen anymore.I seen the first roadrunner here in 30 years the other day!When I was working around Kingcity they were everywhere but not so much here

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
If you can find it with a commercially available pictures, makes you wonder why the government can't:dontknow:

The cartel is only a small % of the problem. Fact is, we have people coming from every state in the union and all over the world to grow pot . Logs trucks have been replaced with tucks carrying dirt. Reminds me of the gold rush. To say it's out of control in an understatement. When the price dropped I thought "Great" now this insane gold rush will be over. Nope. Think again. They just started growing more to make the same money they used to.

Supervisor Mark Lovelace's Aerial Tour of Humboldt Supergrows (With Photos!) | Lost Coast Outpost | Humboldt County

S

stefen

No disagreement from me...

I was addressing the LA Times article and the preponderance of missinformation...Basically, if you're telling a story...get the facts correct...and if you're shifting gears...say so...

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No disagreement from me...

I was addressing the LA Times article and the preponderance of missinformation...Basically, if you're telling a story...get the facts correct...and if you're shifting gears...say so...
Boy,isnt that the truth!!I know you see it as I do,its in all media,almost like there is no editing anymore,and when you read an article about something you know the particulars for fact....and thats not what is reported,makes you really pescimistic about all Media!!!!

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I do agree to a point.....how will the "Bootlegged",crops be stopped on Public lands?How can you Tax something you can grow in your bath tub?

You are correct if legalized a lot of people would grow there own and not pay tax on it. I know I would. What a lot of propel fail to realize it is harder to grow a good crop than most people think. No it is not rocket science but it does take time, effort and usable space. For most people if they were able to legally buy it they would. Look at produce. How many people grow all their own produce.

Not trying to pick a fight with you Kruger I generally have a lot of respect for your opinions. Just thought I needed to throw that out there.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As aproduct being bought and sold in Kal. it is already subject to taxation. Try and collect.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But if it's 'produce' it's not subject to taxation. I really think most of us still have a "Don't Tread on Me" outlook. Do what you want but when you sells drugs to my kid or poison my water it affects me- so just don't do it. And I won't screw with your life either.

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
But if it's 'produce' it's not subject to taxation. I really think most of us still have a "Don't Tread on Me" outlook. Do what you want but when you sells drugs to my kid or poison my water it affects me- so just don't do it. And I won't screw with your life either.

There is a pretty big diff between an illegal Mexican cartel grow and somebody's MM grow. No one wants the illegal cartels up in our woods growing weed. If it was legal there would be no market and it would no longer be profitable to be up in the mountains growing weed.

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a pretty big diff between an illegal Mexican cartel grow and somebody's MM grow. No one wants the illegal cartels up in our woods growing weed. If it was legal there would be no market and it would no longer be profitable to be up in the mountains growing weed.
Being the Devils advocate here but some moonshine is bringing $100 a gallon...........

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Being the Devils advocate here but some moonshine is bringing $100 a gallon...........

Yes that is a very good point but there are not nearly as many moon shiners as there would be if booze was illegal. I am not naive enough to think all the illegal growing would go away but most of it would.

S

stefen

In California it's legal to grow your own medical supply...if every pot head grew his own personal supply, in theory, it would cripple the commercial-scale growers, and thus reduce crime, as well.

In a real utopian world, this would be wonnerful, however, being a realist, this wouldn't fly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread