Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm looking for some info on floatation on these units
I'm getting info all over the place in reference to floatation
Iv flipped one dredge and don't want to go down that road again
After talking o different folks iv looking for so,some Jo has owned one of these
Iv herd the floatation is good and not good just depends who ya talk to
Hosier John didn't you own one,of,these,units?
Thanks in advance
Also included pic to I'd
The had 6floats kind of a hex,shape

Attachments

• image-1538139076.jpg
    image-1538139076.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,344

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
if ya wants great floats look at Proline, there floats have a thick wall, oh and rig up standards

Last edited:
OP
OP
G1sammons

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm trying to find out if they are under floated how they were from the factory

Prefer ability from someone who has owned one
Iv herd they will work with 4floats and iv herd they didn't have enough faith 6floats
I just don't want to learn. The hard way

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
6 floats are fine as it came from the factory. They can tip in fast water like most stock floats but this is normal for this style. You can add more down the center but it really depends on the motor because the higher that you get that old header out of the water, the less water you will get through it by far. It's going to need 18 to 20hp at least and better with dual or more jets if you add flotation. These already sit pretty high in the water. You could build a new frame but, have you tried it out yet?

OP
OP
G1sammons

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Reed

I haven't had in the water
The engine is a gx670 Honda 24hp but its a single jet 3"
The pump is a 350s
I only have 4of the 6 floats for this unit
And I planed on adding floatation but I didn't know how much
Or if it need to be wider or what
I'm using it in a slow moving river at least nor now
Mark at keene told me it would work with 4 floats while
Another fella told me 6 floats were not enough because the box was so big
With your advise I believe I'll add the center full of barrels
Or maybie buy 4floats from dk nugget for there 6
That's the best deali can find on floats other than barrels
Is there a different jet I should use or would I be better to lower the box
I have the ability to build what ever kind of frame I'd need or modify

ThAnks

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Owned'm all from 4'-8' at one time or another. First you need all 6 floats keene style--gast compressor-electric start--you neglected to state header-crash bash or semi crash bash-you must countersink EACH AND EVERY hole in the header 3 way splitter or it'll jam constantly. You pic does NOT show the elongated punchplate that extends over the middle box. Modify side boxes with ribbed black vmats and mini flappers to slow and lay out the microfines. Header flap missing too?? Extend out the middle box to meet the same length as the side as you need it to get all the gold as too small and blows nuggets out. Simply poprivit and support with a bar to the other side boxes. You'll also need a barrel of at least 25 gallons to maintain proper angle as tripples like to run pretty flat. John 1st pic 5" in Rucky Chucky-2nd tripple goodies 3rd in a 1,600' canyon 6" gravel munching monster. See the difference from side to side as ride height with me sitting on it,about 1 inch at 175 fighting weight after a full 6 month dredging season-many more pics ifn' ya need'm will pm to a email addy..

Attachments

• 05-31-2011 08;41;40AM.JPG
    05-31-2011 08;41;40AM.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 350
  • 3-1-2009 11;43;59 am.jpg
    3-1-2009 11;43;59 am.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
OP
OP
G1sammons

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks John

Would love some more picture ESP of the 6" and the mods and some running so I can see the floatation and agles you were running
I have a original crash box with the shorty box in the middle
I just finished the motor and started working on the center box
Iv found 2 more floats in Cali but the fella wants 400 for the 2 floats and 400 to ship them although when I quoted shipping was half that he won't budge and I can't drive that far to pick up as I'm in tennesse
And at the cost I can buy all new floats from dk nugget and configure it with. The existing floats or that's what in thinking
But If the floatation is good with the original 6 it came with maybie ill bite the bullet and just buy them it would be less work for sure
Also any setup and running advise you can get me would just help with the learning cerv as my only dredging experience is with the 4" keene
3stage units they are there latest design iv made a couple simple mods to these units to sturdy the frames I made a cross bar over the header cone from one side to the other of the frame to stop them from squatting and removed very other riffle in the second stage as they were plugging with garnets
And on of them I changed the pump to a proline 400 which turned out to be a mistake although the pump move more water it has less presure and did not work as well as the p180 I actually lost water flow in my box with the proline pump
Tanks for the info

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pay for flotation? hahaha, Go to a car wash & get barrels for free. Definitely get some pics of the box & screens all together to make sure everything is there. $800 for floats is ridiculous, tell him to eat'm... You can put as many barrels down the center as you want. Still with the 350S and a single jet, you will probably be happy but it could use more motor if you're going deep. Shallow to 10 feet will be fine. If you can build anything then get the plans for a tri jet from the bathing beauty pictured above :headbang: hehe. hi John
How To Build A Gold Dredge - YouTube

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AAAAAAAAAAAAAmen to that sentiment Reed. 55 gallon barrel works just fine too. Or smaller 35 for interior. 1st post said ya had 4 of 6 pontoons and now ya say ya got all 6??? You threw in 4" stuff and confusing when talkn' 6" as 2 different animals and makers so everything NOT the same. From pic you can see the 18hp Briggs IC that easily sucked like a banshee at 25++ feet so your 24 hp honda should be more than adequate with the modified pump S designation. John G1-pm email and will send pics as toooo much bs here reducing here to post and way tooo busy with current projects

Last edited:
OP
OP
G1sammons

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Reed. That's. a 24hp v-twin believe it will pull a little better than 10 feet

I'd bet it will pull over30 without a bit of problem this unit originally came with a 16 hp Briggs

The only reason for wanting the original floats is when you pick up the unit the floats stay with it or if you have to drag it up or down the bank if barrels are strapped to the bottom you loose the straps dragging on stuff
And I would not mind having a nice looking dredge that's mostly original if I can afford it
Thou I think the price is crazy they don't make these floats anymore so he prob can get what he wants for them

OP
OP
G1sammons

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry for the confusion on the 4" I was just explaining my experience and setup that iv had

I own 2. 4" keenes and just bought this 6" tripple

OP
OP
G1sammons

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks okbasspro

This is the fella who has them
I may just do the barrel thing 800 is crazy for just 2floats

OP
OP
G1sammons

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
image-2087379087.jpg

Attachments

• image-3831181911.jpg
    image-3831181911.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 292
  • image-2862451788.jpg
    image-2862451788.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 575
  • image-3071883741.jpg
    image-3071883741.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 311

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, propane hot water :) very nice. Everything looks good. The last old 6 I used was the American pictured here. It had a 20hp horizontal motor that i think was a Honda but I don't remember & it had a gold divers pump. It was a bit lacking so that's where I was coming from. I do really hate that old yellow hose because it's so hard to get it to bend at all. I bought some new 6" "Clear Flow" hose from Valley Rubber here in Sacramento that works great and bends easily. I've had it for 15 years now and it still works great so it does last as well. It's lighter weight by far but really allows you to move it around with one hand under water. You should be able to find something like it at a good rubber store for a good price. It was 1/3 of the price of the Keene hose at that time and bends easier by far.
Pic 030.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
G1sammons

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Iv not gotten far enough to buy hose yet but I do plan on replacing it

I love the propayne heater it simple and works well you can cut it off and on u der water but it does ad to running cost
Had to many problems with the other style burns ect and the cost is about the same as buying a big roll of copper anymore
This one cost me 115 delivered I plan on adding a second for support divers
Wish I could find a good way to use the barrels so the mount from the top without a strap
I have hih hopes for this machine iv dreamed of owning one of these for awhile
The only mods I have in mind are to extend the center box and put some ribbed rubber Matt in the sides unless I'm told different

OP
OP
G1sammons

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sure wish they would change the Cali dredging ban I would love to come out that way and play some day

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, mine's just sitting here going nowhere for now but I do use it out of state. I still use the homebuilt 6 from the link above. Honestly I think that I would put in the Vortex matting in the side boxes up top & then moss below if needed, but those boxes are still the best that you can buy even today. The new 3 stage is crap when compared to the triple... You can buy the Vortex mat at most rubber stores also or you can order it online in many places. Then John loves the Veranda Carpet but I've never had a chance to try any yet myself and that looks perfect for the side boxes. I used mm in a 5" on the side boxes but it clogged up with sand because the water is a lot slower. I've use 5" triples then this 6" converted from a 5" that I rebuilt for Linda after Wally Koz passed away. I sold it to Rick S. from the WMA, it had 8 floats, made with 2 dredge frames. You can make a barrel frame without worrying about the barrels falling out easily.

Dredging 9-13-2006 003.jpg

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just cut up truck drivers 4" tow straps to hold barrels or frame'm in and no problems. This pic is Veranda/aggregrate unbacked so it never packs up like moss so you can turn on/off and still works. What size mixing tank on that monster water heater to prevent french fried nutz burned back syndrome??John

Attachments

• uo.jpg
    uo.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 189

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread