6" keene tripple project nearing compleation

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I figured I would post some info on my project status as its getting close to done!
My project was a 6" keene tripple . I'd dreamed of owning one for awhile.
When I bought this dredge it lacked a engine couple floats pump hose ect
Basically just 4 floats and the sluice box
Iv added a Honda 24 hp gx670 as I figured overpowering would be best rather than wanting more later
I had to machine the cranking because they didn't make crank with the correct profile . But no problem it was quite easy !
Also a new 350s pump .
Also added a gast pump and a new engine plate as the keene factory plate was a little to thin .
Along with 2 propayne water heater for winter warming . 2 because I plan on diving a crew with this monster
I will extend the center box to match the lenth of the side boxes .
Also will be add 4 more floats iv located and bought ,2 to complete the sides and the other 2 will be under the center back to help keep the unit flat whil running
I'm considering adding a old presure washer as a blaster nozzel ,I figured it might be much but might add a new level of being to break out those cracks and loosen up the hard pack .
Any other ideas: what els do I need to do to make this the altamate dredge ?

Also ordered new breaking flap nozzel and 30ft of kanaflex 155
Will finish decking and toolboxes this week

Attachments

• image-2878251266.jpg
    image-2878251266.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 230
  • image-717973176.jpg
    image-717973176.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 206
  • image-101510251.jpg
    image-101510251.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 213
  • image-144495670.jpg
    image-144495670.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 230
  • image-57388439.jpg
    image-57388439.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 205

doubled

Dec 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sexy looking dredge I must say!! I think the pressure washer would be over kill but I mean it would be pretty sick as well! And btw if you need anyone to work with you I am down for the cause!

OP
OP
G1sammons

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
doubled said:
Sexy looking dredge I must say!! I think the pressure washer would be over kill but I mean it would be pretty sick as well! And btw if you need anyone to work with you I am down for the cause!

Anytime you want to come along your more than welcome too. I hope to be done in a well or two
I also just ordered a normal blaster just in case . I just thought we could do some hard rock mining while dredging with the presure washer ;)
Where r u located?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a good looking dredge! I can't wait to see what you pull with it.

doubled

Dec 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anytime you want to come along your more than welcome too. I hope to be done in a well or two
I also just ordered a normal blaster just in case . I just thought we could do some hard rock mining while dredging with the presure washer ;)
Where r u located?

I am in Spartanburg, SC, Like 5 hrs away from ya( Not to far but its a little scoot!). But where are you going to be dredging at? If you are going to be comeing a little closer to North GA, SC, and NC Ill be a full time partner! If you are going to just be in your area I would love to come out as much as I could!

And so with the blaster would you be looking for quarts veins when dredging to bed rock?

Last edited:
OP
OP
G1sammons

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Doubled

Usally I go to Alabama about a hour from the gold camp in or near lineville.
But if I can fin a place to run in north ga or nc or sc I would travel.
So far the best area iv found is down in al there's great gold no hassles and great camping
And you'd be more than welcome to come check it out!
I use to dive with friends who had a 6" proline I also had 4"keene but usally we grouped up on the 6" but my buddy moved away and the 6" went with him.
The only problem with this unit is there's no carrying it to the water.as its a tank . We could slide it down a bank and winch it out but it's not gona be a easy launch.
Down in Alabama that's no problem . It the easiest place to launch as there's a boat ramp and we dredged at the foot of it most of last year with the 4" ers
I have 2 of them . Anyhowm it should be done in 2weeks and hopefully will run down and run the daylights out of it and see if we can get all the bugs worked out
And start making some gold
Do you have cold weather dive gear?
If so ill give ya a shout u can come join the party if not wont be long till we get some warm weather .

lil wayne

Feb 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me and my partner are in cleaburn and would be more then glad to come help ya out when and if ya need it!!!

OP
OP
G1sammons

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Must be nice to live in gods country!

Ill send ya a text when I'm heading back down that way!

lil wayne

Feb 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool will be looking forward to it ...I see you say you have a four incher also would you be interested in selling it or maybe renting it out for the weekend and maybe spend a few teaching some rookies how to dredge as we have some very nice places just not sure we want to spend the money to buy or build one till we use one first if that makes since ..

OP
OP
G1sammons

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just a rookie my self I can show ya what I know but I'm by no means a seasoned dredger!

Don't care if you run one of my fours where I dredge but im not interested in it leaving the general area
Gary

OP
OP
G1sammons

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Updates

Just finished center row float supports and added supports for the rest of the decking !
Also ordered 2nd water heater for back up divers
Also added the beefed up engine plate
I have several of these plated should anyone need one..

Attachments

• image-836617005.jpg
    image-836617005.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 164
  • image-768536096.jpg
    image-768536096.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 160
  • image-3158297403.jpg
    image-3158297403.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

doubled

Dec 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there!! When you planning on going out with it? I got a wet suit/hood/gloves/booties for whenever you wanna go out! Where it be helping move rocks or getting on the 4 inch somewhere... Lemme know!

OP
OP
G1sammons

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok ran the six the last four days

Not what I expected ! @ Wot. And running flat and looking at the box I expected more water. Flow in the center box
Everyone told me I would only need half throttle but not quite getting enought water flow or that's what I gathered ..
The riffles r loading with 1 to 2" cobbles .... ...
I changed the angle by moving the center float forward and droped the back some and things got a little better but still not good !
So what to do more angle or remove some riffles?
Also still running wide open throttle ... With this
When I got on the nozzel I was impressed with the suction ! It flat out gets after it ! Get your hand near the intake and your fighting to get it out
And it's just about imposible to pull large rocks off without the flap

So the questionis am I running it to hard ? Less throttle? Where do I need to go ?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are having trouble clearing, you aren't going to improve things if you cut the throttle. The problem with the side-by-side triple is that you need 3 times more water than a single box. Sounds like you have plenty of suction at the nozzle. Without major changes, your only options would be adjusting angle and maybe try removing some of the riffles, which you already mentioned. Another option would be to make new side boxes which are narrower so they pull less water from the main box.

OP
OP
G1sammons

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I'm running. A 350 s keene pump and my jet is bad or needs replaced so would a 2x2 jet be better? Also running a 24 hp Honda so I should have plenty of available power also. May be able to increase rpm its running at 3450 now

I'm currently running a single 3.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remove one of the center floats for more angle and less height from the water. Reread posts-30' of hose sounds like your problem,cut to 20' and you'll be amazed at the difference. Never used new 350S or hondas-only old school Briggs ITEC 18 hp ripped like crazy,old school 350 special which was deeeeep impeller and much more psi. More angle puts more water in middle. What is the heighth of punchplate directly in center where it splits the flow to sideboxes as sometime raised too high and middleflow goes sideways?John

OP
OP
G1sammons

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hoser John said:
Remove one of the center floats for more angle and less height from the water. Reread posts-30' of hose sounds like your problem,cut to 20' and you'll be amazed at the difference. Never used new 350S or hondas-only old school Briggs ITEC 18 hp ripped like crazy,old school 350 special which was deeeeep impeller and much more psi. More angle puts more water in middle. What is the heighth of punchplate directly in center where it splits the flow to sideboxes as sometime raised too high and middleflow goes sideways?John

The 350s is the 350 special Pump.... Ill cut the hose down and the punch plate is as low as it can go ....
Also I'm only running 1 float in the center I moved it forward to put some more angle in the box and it helped
But just not enough ill move it forward a little more ....
I have to replace the jet so would it be better to get a splitter and run 2x2 instead of the the single 3" ?
Thanks fellas

One thing I was impressed with the suction and how much materal it would move !
Also it was the first time I had ever used a blaster nozzel and man what a difference now I can cut right throu the hard pack and clay .
That was a huge game changer for me

Thanks for all the help on this !!!!!!!!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, Using a blaster is like having an underwater laser to cut that hardpack apart! If you have to replace the jet, a 2x2 should get you more water flow, but I don't know how much. I assume your pump is a 3" output? Splitting that with a 2 inch "Y" can only do so much since it's already restricted to 3" at the pump. You might consider calling Keene and talking to a tech. HE might have a lot more hands-on with this.

OP
OP
G1sammons

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jason in Enid said:
Yeah, Using a blaster is like having an underwater laser to cut that hardpack apart! If you have to replace the jet, a 2x2 should get you more water flow, but I don't know how much. I assume your pump is a 3" output? Splitting that with a 2 inch "Y" can only do so much since it's already restricted to 3" at the pump. You might consider calling Keene and talking to a tech. HE might have a lot more hands-on with this.

Talk with them this morning and they said too leave it as a single 3"
So ill cut the hose and drop the box .by moving the center float a little more forward
They also told me to check the tolerance on the impeller to the housing .!

I'm thinking of making some sliding gates so I can control the water flow to the side boxes ...
And removing the riffles and going to expanded metal...
What do ya think of this idea?

My idea on the gates would be to attach them to the alum- cross plate right at the drop box ... Figured I would be able to control each side individualy
I don't see much since in the paddles that come from the factory ! They do little to control the amount of water they do help to even out the flow in the boxes but you always have a sand bar on the inside of the side boxes ...

Also would like to remake all the punch plate to woven
As the punch is plugging up with pebbles!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread