Dredge Flow Rates

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Headhunter Wader, Fisher F2, F4, F75, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Umax, Vaquero, Cortes, Nugget Snoop & Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought this might help:

DREDGE FLOW RATE

DREDGE SIZE WEIGHT CAPACITY
2 inch 45 Lbs 2 yards per hour
2 ½ inch 67 Lbs 4 yards per hour
3 inch 87 Lbs 6 yards per hour
4 inch 121+ Lbs 10 yards per hour
5 inch 221+ Lbs 16 yards per hour
6 inch 646+ Lbs 25 yards per hour
8 inch 859+ Lbs 35 yards per hour

Dredge weight very by manufacturer and therefor approximate.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HAHAHAHAH when donkeys fly and chickens talk-those rates are beach sand unpacked and NOT based on real conditions. That thang(see pic) fell apart and quit working in first 1 1/2 hours of use...... John

Attachments

• 100_3031.jpg
    100_3031.jpg
    925.2 KB · Views: 614

bill-costa rica

Sep 19, 2010
playa samara
Detector(s) used
sd2100 infinium ls, 10 inch dredge
by your figures with my 10 in I should move 60 to 70 yards an hour. I can only dream, I sure wish it was true. in the real world conditions working a river with not winching boulders I feel good if I move 10 to 15 yards and hour. that number is seldom met.

bill/cr

bill-costa rica

Sep 19, 2010
playa samara
Detector(s) used
sd2100 infinium ls, 10 inch dredge
these numbers have been around for years, different manufacturers at different times have published them to sell their stuff. all say is it has the possibility of working this well.
if someone wants to use these numbers they should have 30 years of history to get these false numbers. posting them here is no big deal.

bill/cr

OP
OP
charlotte49er

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Headhunter Wader, Fisher F2, F4, F75, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Umax, Vaquero, Cortes, Nugget Snoop & Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These numbers are all from Keene.

OP
OP
charlotte49er

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HAHAHAHAH when donkeys fly and chickens talk-those rates are beach sand unpacked and NOT based on real conditions. That thang(see pic) fell apart and quit working in first 1 1/2 hours of use...... John

FYI John. That's a Velox From Nokta and has nothing to do with the XP DEUS or the XP Company that I sell.

VELOX ONE - Nokta Metal Detectors - Gold Detectors, Metal Detectors, Treasure Detectors, Hobby Metal Detectors.

It's made in Turkey.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The numbers being published by Keene does not make them legit. They have no bearing on reality except as a theoretical calculation by an engineer. Divide the Keene figures by four and you get in the ballpark for good material. Even less for hard pack, lots of boulders, etc.

I certainly do not blame anyone quoting the figures due to the source but they are also a source of constant grief to people using the numbers to figure out what size dredge they need or how many yards they can move and therefore how much gold they might get. And as John notes inflating the figures also inflates environmental concerns.

OP
OP
charlotte49er

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I appreciate y'all letting me know the numbers are wrong. I have owned 5 dredges in the last 2 years. 1 1/2" to 4". It certainly seems like my 2 1/2" can move more than 1 (4/4 = 1) cubic yard of dirt a hour. And my 3" Keene Ultra Mini with the 6.5HP Honda was a beast at moving dirt.

I'll have to tell Keene their numbers are grossly over inflated. I'm sure they will love that. LOL

Last edited:

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
charlotte49er said:
I appreciate y'all letting me know the numbers are wrong. I have owned 5 dredges in the last 2 years. 1 1/2" to 4". It certainly seems like my 2 1/2" can move more than 1 (4/4 = 1) cubic yard of dirt a hour. And my 3" Keene Ultra Mini with the 6.5HP Honda was a beast at moving dirt.

I'll have to tell Keene their numbers are grossly over inflated. I'm sure they will love that. LOL

They list those as loose gravels and sand. Only !!!
Every place is different ..how much hard pack ,clay .average size of cobbles ect
Plus he operator makes a huge difference..... It's just ment to give you a idea of the capable volume.
Iv seen some fellas run 2 and 3" machines and dig faster than some others with 5 and 6 "
Some folks just poke around down there while other cut right thru the stuff like there's no tomorrow....

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck i would be happy with 1yard per hour! Damn this dredging ban!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions