Which dredge...

2020hindsite

May 28, 2013
Free
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't find quite what I'm looking for. I apologize ahead of time if I'm beating a dead horse.
I do I know a bigger dredge would be the best option but please humor me. Lets pretend I can pick up a Proline or a Keene 2 inch dredge for the same price.
Which dredge is better assuming both are 2013 models?
I know Proline has redesigned the floats and riffle timing for 2013. I dont believe the keene has changed much but i dont know for a fact.
Which dredge has better recovery assuming I've got a suction nozzle on either? Does either dredge have major flaws?
I assume the Proline is better built but I have no idea of recovery quality of either. I know a lot of it depends on running your box correctly and dredges aren't known to recover fine gold perfectly but does one dredge Eeek out the other?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOTS of different questions contained there!

As for size, yes, SIZE MATTERS. The amount of material you can work quadruples every time you double the intake hose size. Yes, larger dredges are not as good at holding the tiny gold as small dredges, but you run so much more material that you still get a better return for your time.

Now, as to your question about brand, thats much harder. Both brands have loyal users, just like Ford and Chevy. I have only used Keene so I can't make a direct comparison. I have read from multiple people is that Prolines are built much tougher but Keenes have better recovery.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apples and oranges depends on how serious you gettn' in OHIO?? Much cheaper keene mini dredges goof for mutzing and a putzing,then step up for regular line and then Proline industrial tough to take a beating of constant use. Your seriousness is the predicating factor,how deep are your pockets and how can ya possibly be serious in Ohio as never seen any decent gold from there. All miners modify any dredge from anybody to fit their needs as you get a basic unit and modify if needed from there or just go play and a piddle and a diddle and have a ball,find a bit a gold and let the good times roll-John

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
all are good suggestions! BUT to me, learning what and how your particular dredge works best is most important.a small dredge can be great in the hands of someone that knows what theyre doing compaired to someone that thinks they know what theyre doing!a 2 inch isnt going to move that much material or go that deep.id just look for the best deal and the best condition of the equipment.

OP
OP

2020hindsite

May 28, 2013
Free
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you and yes you are ALL correct.
-Compared to out west Ohio will never compare. That being said I really enjoy doing it and thats whats most important to me. Wether I find alot or a little doesnt dictate how my day went. Getting in the creek and being outside, the possibility and the excitement...nothing like it. Obviously however I want to find the most gold I can.

-Dont hate on Ohio however. Although it doesnt compare at all to out west I think youd be surprised what people are pulling out of here.

-You are also correct about dredge size obviously. But the amount of gold here FOR ME this will always be a hobby.
-That being said too my goal is to catch as much as possible while im " mutzing and putzing".
Is there anything I can do to help with retention on these rinky dink dredges. I know a suction nozzle is a must.
thanks again

Last edited:

rockygulchJoe

Jan 5, 2013
2020hindsite, you would be much happier with a two and a half inch, I was. Also at least you can dredge in Ohio with out having to look over your shoulder constantly, cal.GOV! has made us into
Western Outlaws.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Also at least you can dredge in Ohio with out having to look over your shoulder constantly, cal.GOV! has made us into
Western Outlaws.[/QUOTE]

its getting tobe that way across the land!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't feel you HAVE to jump into something like a 4". If you find you really like dredging, that big one will come soon enough. I wish I has a small one for packing to site sample. The bigger the dredge gets the harder it becomes to transport to and from a site!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ha where theres a will, theres a way!

Yeah, and that's how I hurt my back last year! Gotta work "smarter" not "harder". Next time I go to "that" site, I'm hiring some local high-school kids to pack my gear in for me!

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
i have a ATV and a trailer for it to haul my dredge/gear and i still messed my back up! anybody wanna buy a dredge and a trailer?? but i hurt my back this past winter takeing the trashout and slipped on some ice!NOT working my dredge or hauling the gear.

OP
OP

2020hindsite

May 28, 2013
Free
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hypothetically lets pretend I was building a dredge. Lets pretend its an old ass crash box style. The box is not open at the back so putting a jet flare on is not really possible without cutting the box. Could I put the jet flare ( road cone ) onto the edge of the box so that there is a drop of about 2-3 inches onto the punch plate?
I know this is not ideal as a smooth flow is what your going for but could I do this or is it a waste of time?
Completely hypothetical

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stop! Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Do not think you can start building a dredge when you don't even know how to run one. There are too many issues for a new user to think about let alone understand to build one. You will be miles ahead and FAR cheaper to just buy a good used one now.

OP
OP

2020hindsite

May 28, 2013
Free
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sincerely appreciate the advise and don't have any plans to build a dredge any time soon. I understand that everyone here is trying to help and I take everything into consideration and do appreciate it.
Back to my question which for now is innocent...
Would a drop of 2-3 inches directly out of a jet flare onto the punch plate ruin everything assuming that Water flow is correct, sluice is angled properly and the inlet is set to a good angle. Would the drop disturb the gold from dropping out within the first 6-8 inches also assuming I'm using a suction nozzle?
Thanks

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread