Old Keene pump parts

benny

Sep 15, 2012
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get a shaft and seals for the pump below? Emailed Keene Eng, but received no reply. Also, can you tell me specifically what pump this is?

Keene_pump.jpg

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
smaller one looks like P-90,slightly older model though. The other a p-100/120 maybe as OLD as no threads on discharge. Did it have the paper gasket between the pump halves. The in and out size of the bigger pump will tell ya exactly as you posted no measurements. You can tell older pumps easily as no blaster nozzle hose bib cast into housing. That pump also needs a spacer sleeve to offset the distance from the engine also as will instantly bind up on the input hose bib. To replace that gasket use a micrometer/veneers to ascertain thickness of gasket,then go to OSH or Capitol Rubber to buy the same thickness nylon impregnated rubber to trace the gasket replacement and cut out with a exacto and they last forever as have one oldie from 84 still ripping good. Call the new Pioneer Mining in Auburn as I've heard Frank retained many parts/has contacts for oldie parts too-Lotsa luck-John

OP
OP
B

benny

Sep 15, 2012
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry. I just pulled that pic off the Internet. Here's a picture of my pump. Impeller seems to be 3" Probably a P90, but pretty old and I don't know if Keene would have seals. Shaft is the big problem as the threads are stripped going onto the engine shaft. I can't get it off. Rule is 6".

pump_small.jpg

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
threads are stripped or gallded?? if threads are gallded apply a little heat to release the shaft from the impeller.if they are stripped,you maybe out of luck! i dont know of any reverse thread replacements ava.i always use anti-seize compound on my threads. if you do get it apart, take the seal to a pump repair store.they should get a seal for you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

benny

Sep 15, 2012
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope. The impeller is off, but the pump shaft backs off a bit from the motors shaft, and then just spins. It looks like that back seal in the pump failed long ago, and it's been pumping water out through the back. Also, this pump has been sitting outside over on the coast for years. Anyway, can't get it off the motor.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
try blocking to ability for the engine to spin by pulling the sparkplug out and pushing some rope into the cylindar and the rotate the engine untill it stops. now you can have a little more leverage.try some Kroil oil or some sort of spray to help losen its hold. heat useually works in small amounts.but watch out if useing heat after the spray,it may flash up on you.

OP
OP
B

benny

Sep 15, 2012
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Russau, but that's how I got the pump apart. Shaft just spins without the engine turning over. Here's a (fuzzy) picture.

pump_shaft.jpg

OP
OP
B

benny

Sep 15, 2012
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the shaft that the impeller screws onto. Had to switch to a camera that I know how to use.

pump_shaft1.jpg

I'm ready to throw in the towel. I've tried to contact Keene, and New Pioneer Mining, and got no response from either.

Last edited:

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
The shaft spins without the crank spinning? Sounds striped maybe weld a nut on a slide hammer and gently try to pull that way if your lucky the threads on the crank are striped and you can clean them out of the shaft threads. I think your bigger problem is the shaft being so pitted cleaning it up with emery cloth may reduce its diameter enough to render a new seal useless.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
you can clean that shaft will NavelJelly it wont reduce the diameter/specs of that shaft. if you are throwing in the towel on this eng/pump ,would you want to get rid of it?? let me know because id be interested in it!

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keene used a 2.5 hp Honda made just for them with a threded shaft, then later used an adaptor to use on other motors
maybe find a motor with the right threads or find an adaptor maybe find the rignt size Arbor adaptor. or have one made.
Spindle 1 2? Straight Shaft for Motor 1 2? Arbor Wheel Holder 4 3 4? L Adapter | eBay
or 5 8? Arbor Hole Shaft for Motor Grinder Polishing Wheel Spindle 1 2" Shaft | eBay

I have got old dredge parts from Roger Bendix he has a dredge graveyard in California (maxfuz on ebay)
[email protected] ph. 916-792-5796

img028.jpg

Last edited:

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Is the infomation at the bottom for maxfuz's dredge graveyard? Whoops, didn't see the card, thanks for the info

Last edited:

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes that is Rogers info a heck of a guy. I bought my proline from him and he shipped it to oklahoma so if he has what you need he can get it to you. He is as honest as the day is long.

OP
OP
B

benny

Sep 15, 2012
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a response from Roger. Sounds like a great guy. Anyway, he said that the only way to get Keene Eng to respond was to call them, and gave me their number. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
B

benny

Sep 15, 2012
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that Roger is a heck of a guy! Roger found a shaft for my pump and is sending it to me. Wadda Guy!!!
Also spoke with Mark at KeeneEng, and he said that the P90 seals will work, but that the biggest problem I face is finding an engine that this will fit on. Said that it used to fit on a Tecumseh engine, but that they were out of business. Guess I'll just have to search to see if I can find something that it'll fit on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread