HighBanking in Idaho Questions

KevinBoise

Dec 18, 2013
Eagle
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am planning on building a highbanker and using it near my home in Boise ID. I have been looking all over the internet for the last few days not finding much at all about where i could prospect or use a Highbanker. How can i get information about this?
Also what are the steps that i need to take in order to start washing some rocks. I know the Boise river has gold along it. But i'm mainly looking for gemstones as Idaho is the "Gem State" Any information will help out, and go far. Thanks!:BangHead:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Kevin id contact a gppa club close to you and ask them this question or contact your state department of natural resources, but keep in mind that they really dont want us miniers/rockhounds out there on "their land"!

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
First off, you need to get permits.

Idaho Department of Lands' Minerals Program - Dredge and Placer Mining
Idaho Department of Water Resources
Idaho Small Suction Dredge Mining General Permit

You also have to make sure your not on somebody's claim...you could be sued/shot for claim jumping.
The Boise River is only open to dredging down stream from Star Bridge (Star Idaho)
I know what your thinking...I'm not dredging but highbanking but Idaho puts it in the same category as dredging. Another part of the Boise River (North Fork) has a stop on it from the EPA till further notice. South fork is entirely closed,
As for gems...about the only thing you'll find locally are Garnets.
You can start here:
Idaho Geological Survey - Home
Now I heard that they were finding diamonds and rubies up around New Meadows but that is unconfirmed on my end,
I heard they were finding Opals around Pearl.
Also someplaces around the Snake they were finding some gem stones.
This is what I heard and I take info like that with a grain of salt.
More substantial is this...
Idaho Gemstones
Around the Snake River you can find Beryl, Opal, Nodules, Jasper, Petrified Wood, Agate, Garnets and Gold. With the exception of gold on the Snake, you wont need a highbanker to get these Gems, but a pick, shovel, pry bar, gloves and lots of luck. Your search should be on the Owyhee County side of the Snake River, I think the zone starts around Old Fort Boise but I am unsure of the exact location other then the Owyhee side of the Snake, across from Canyon County.
Now that the snow has finally melted and it's a little warmer, I'm going Gem Hunting in said location this weekend...I think. But with my wife due to give birth Feb 12, I may opt to stay home...

If you get busted highbanking without a permit...read this:
The Act allows the State to enjoin an operation without a permit or bond or an operation violating an existing permit. Violation of the Act carries a civil penalty of $500 to $2,500 for each day a violation continues. If a person willfully violates the Act, they are liable for a fine of $1,000 to $5,000 or up to a year in prison or both. Additionally, the State may seek costs to reclaim lands affected by the mining operation.

You also need to confirm that water way you want to prospect is open, Idaho takes this very serious, the best friend of a friend got busted 2 years ago prospecting on closed water ways, from what I was told after everything was said and done, it ended up costing him over 15grand in legal fee's and fines.

Not all streams are open to dredging/highbanking and some that are, are only open for 3 months.
Stream Channel Alteration by Recreational Mining

Good luck in your search for gems...you need to be in the sawtooth mountains for good gems but guess what...it's closed.

panningjack

Apr 16, 2013
Nampa, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3
agreed permits. however I'm in the understanding, after talking with IDWR, that to dredge you must have the "letter permit". But to highbank you must apply for the temporary water rights permit.
According to IDL "Recreational dredge mining includes those mining activities in which miners use power sluices, small recreational suction dredges with a nozzle five (5) inches in diameter or less, and equipment rated at a maximum of fifteen (15) horsepower or less. Recreational dredge mining is regulated by the Stream Channel Protection Act administered by the Idaho Department of Water Resources (IDWR). If a miner has a recreational dredging permit issued by IDWR they do not need any additional permits from the Idaho Department of Lands (IDL) to mine in a navigable stream. Miners will need permission from IDL however to operate a recreational suction dredge or a power sluice in streams that pass through state endowment land."
omni is right on with the gems. A highbanker won't help much in finding gems in a stream bank. I've been looking into gems as well closest place is going to be the sawtooths.
I've heard of rubies and diamonds near New Meadows as well, but not sure exactly where. I do know a 19 carat diamond was once found along the payette river between mccall and new meadows.
good luck!

panningjack

Apr 16, 2013
Nampa, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3
does anyone wonder why the gubermint keeps adding the word "recreational" to ANYTHING related to mining?

"recreational" mining or prospecting is not protected under the 1872 mining act. I hooked up with an organization a couple seasons ago called the South West Idaho Mining Association. They have tons of info on mining law

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If it wasn't so frigging expensive and so many hoops to jump through I have considered getting a commercial dredge permit but at $1800 a acre for a performance bond...

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kevin , there are places along the Snake where you can get saphires. Also in a couple of spots in the Owyhees rubies. Pm me for more specifics. Rod

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kevin on the GPAA website under gold prospecting is a huge set of posts concerning the issues in Idaho. A rally/fight/meeting in a few weeks and those folks in the know are posting info on the meeting. If you don't fight NOW live in tyranny like insane kalif and now oregon too. Don't let the anti mining cancer spread but stamp out the illegal fed permits bs in Idaho-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions