1200GPH electric water pump enough?

IslandMiner

Feb 9, 2014
Vancouver Island B.C.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I first started gold panning about one year ago and moved up to a homemade sluice box but never could get any gravel from the deep pools in some local creeks. I looked up how to make a simple hand pump for gravel but it just wasn't fast enough so I decided to make a suction dredge. I'm wondering if a 1200Gph electric water pump is enough or if I would need to get something bigger.
Any help would be appreciated.

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Umm, you need a gas engine and water pump (not a trash pump)...Sluice box, suction nozzle or nozzle, flare or crash box, suction hose (NOT lay flat hose) Man you should try to do a search on this site or google on how a suction dredge works, how to build one. It will end up costing you maybe $500 or more to do it right.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are some huge electric dredges but for the scale you are thinking of the only practical way to go is a gas engine. Lots more to a dredge than a pump. Listen to omnicron he knows dredging. :thumbsup:

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are some huge electric dredges but for the scale you are thinking of the only practical way to go is a gas engine. Lots more to a dredge than a pump. Listen to omnicron he knows dredging. :thumbsup:

:dontknow: about that...I have learned a lot in my 2 years...have much more to learn. But compared to newbies, I guess I would know a lot lol.
Thanks though Clay! :thumbsup:

Island, they say a pic is worth a thousand words:

drededia.gif

OP
OP
I

IslandMiner

Feb 9, 2014
Vancouver Island B.C.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just found out that it is illegal to use a sluice box or dredge in B.C (where I live) if it visibly seeps into any streams, lakes, or wetlands. :BangHead::sadsmiley:

AimSmMissSm

Jan 9, 2013
IslandMiner dont give up. I am sure you can use a mini highbanker as long as the waste water does not create Turbidity in the stream. Check into it it wouldnt help with the gravels in the deep holes but it would help you to run more material. I live in Washington state and we have a lot if regulation here too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread