Swivel For A Nozzle

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So does anyone have good ideas or know how to build a swivel for a nozzle. I have some ideas from my hvac days but I think sand would bugger it up fast. The 4" I have used a flange on both sides with O-rings then a cap over the top. I found that sand makes causes it to seize up fast. I even considered a big sealed bearing but the cost would be to high and it might just fail due to the harsh operating conditions. I like how smooth keenes nozzles are but cant determine how they build the swivel. Figured I would turn to the community for some input.

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
This is surprising that I'm getting no feedback/ideas.
I have seen people who have made them but the big issue is sand getting in between and having to still wrestle with the hoes. I believe is better buying the one without the flapp from keene and punch some hoes and put a flap on it. Since no one seem to know much about it. I did saw some dude on youtube make one for a 8" or 10" .. Have you followed up on that ?

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Omni ill try to get out to my trailer today and see if i can snap a picture of my homemade swivel nozzel.it was EZ to make and sand getting stuck in the swivel part and makeing it hard to swivel isnt a problem with mine!

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have seen people who have made them but the big issue is sand getting in between and having to still wrestle with the hoes. I believe is better buying the one without the flapp from keene and punch some hoes and put a flap on it. Since no one seem to know much about it. I did saw some dude on youtube make one for a 8" or 10" .. Have you followed up on that ?
all of them get sand in them even the store bought..
Get ya some exhaust tubbing two diff tent sizes 1/4 in difference 6" and 6.250 and then get sone 3/16 round stock
Make your general shape of the nozzle by welding cutting ect The 6.250 and then roll the round stock to make a ring to fit inside the6.250 about 1" inside the swivel part weld it 1" to creat a lip . grind smoth with a dremel tool .weld another piece of the round stockon the 6" piece at the end making a lip around the outside .and slide it Into the 6.250 where you welded the other round stock ring inside this should leave you enough room to make one more ring with the round stock and weld it too lock the two pieces together and still swivel! But I'd tell ya it's a lot of work Iv made a few but for the cost I'd hunt a used one I bought one on eBay for 60 dollars..

DONT buy a breaker flap they r too heavy and large compared to a standard swivel .. Just drill ya a bunch of holes in a standard swivel nozzle and get a piece of rubber. And make it a breaker flap.. It does not not need to be a huge area to relieve the suction totally just enough to get your hands out and rocks off the nozzle without wearing yourself out.

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks guys. I must of missed that video.
G, I have not seen any nozzle come up on eBay or cl in my area in weeks. Now that I see a good way (video) on building swivel, with the pipe I ordered I should only be $15-20 into building a nozzle. I hope it works out.

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
Thanks guys. I must of missed that video. G, I have not seen any nozzle come up on eBay or cl in my area in weeks. Now that I see a good way (video) on building swivel, with the pipe I ordered I should only be $15-20 into building a nozzle. I hope it works out.

Yeah i didnt even seen that one ..
But i didnt look into his videos.

Are you going to built the flare also? Maybe out of aluminum

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
Yes going to build a flare also. Simple and easy to do.

Is it allen from gold grabber who sells the flares for $250?
I would want to go the same route you are taking but i dont want to overload it with extra weight .
Could you save about 25 to 30 pounds extra buying a plastic one ?

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Alien trees does NOT sell parts anymore. I called twice now and confirmed that. You actually would save weight with aluminum IMO.

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
Alien trees does NOT sell parts anymore. I called twice now and confirmed that. You actually would save weight with aluminum IMO.
Okay thanks, guess ill build everything except the pump and hoes. Is it a good match a php500 with a 16hp briggs? Ima have it shipped for $650; its new btw. From the dude who haves them attach to 14hp kohler engines on ebay.

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Okay thanks, guess ill build everything except the pump and hoes. Is it a good match a php500 with a 16hp briggs? Ima have it shipped for $650; its new btw. From the dude who haves them attach to 14hp kohler engines on ebay.
thats too much motor for that pump you should get the p350s 650 gpm 180' of head pressure You can always turn it town . But if your maxed out you don't have that option and should be the same price

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
thats too much motor for that pump you should get the p350s 650 gpm 180' of head pressure You can always turn it town . But if your maxed out you don't have that option and should be the same price
Why they say it will hold a 20hp engine. Isnt that their newest super pump lol . Well I liked the fact i have a 3" foot valve and a 2.5" pressure hoes. The only reason i believe im going with that engine is because is found locally cheap.it has a electric start and is easy modified to propane. My ke201 pump seal couldnt be found here in d.r . Sad ill have to buy it from outside. Thought i would be atleast with my 4" by this time in the river.. This heat is already killing me x_X

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It will work! No problem there but the engine is capable of pushing more pump so why not have it ? Price is no different ..if you get. Larger pump

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I do see one advantage with that pump is the blaster nozzle output is on the pump! .
Look around at some places that rebuild electric motors you will prob find your pump seal!

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
It will work! No problem there but the engine is capable of pushing more pump so why not have it ? Price is no different ..if you get. Larger pump

Yeah but ill end up going overboard with another $170 . With 50 of extra cost and footvalve and hoes.

I want to stay with in my price range , i dont want to go ahead and call my mom to become 1 of my associate lol

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
I do see one advantage with that pump is the blaster nozzle output is on the pump! . Look around at some places that rebuild electric motors you will prob find your pump seal!
A friend of mine rebuilds them but i never seen them with those kind of seals; or any seals what so ever. Do you know exactly what electric motor brings them? The dude i know he changes the copper wire in the strator when they burn out. .

Ima give him a call to find out.
Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread