Keene jet sizes

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I spent a whole day researching Venturi's for the jet I made and what I found is its 25% or your suction hose size. 3" is 3/4, 4"@1". Not 100% positive with Keene's jets but when you do the research you come up with the same solution. Maybe call them tomorrow and talk to mark. Its also inside diameter not od..

OP
OP
G1sammons

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I spent a whole day researching Venturi's for the jet I made and what I found is its 25% or your suction hose size. 3" is 3/4, 4"@1". Not 100% positive with Keene's jets but when you do the research you come up with the same solution. Maybe call them tomorrow and talk to mark. Its also inside diameter not od..
Is this 25% of the volume of the Surface area ? I believe it is and should be figured using the formula pi=r2 or pi = r squared..
Not the simple math of 25% of 4 or 6...
Asking not telling ya ???

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I did lots of reading, fiddled with the math (for me math sucks, it took me 3 times to pass algebra in college) (x=y+zmyass) I also reread a chapter on fluid dynamics in one of my text books. My head was throbbing by the end of the day. I compared what I came up with to keene and proline.
Both keene's and prolines 3" and 4" jets are 3/4" (3") and 1"(4"). It's not 25% of the area....if it was a 3" jet would have a 1.7" inducer...4" would be 3.14" and a 6" would need 7"

Bernoulli's principle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Water eductor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Injector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Timberdoodle

Oct 17, 2012
Kingfield, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Keene 2" log and the orifice is more in the range of 5/8 instead of 1/2. Couldn't get a perfect measurement since I didn't have a 5/8 dowel or something of perfect size to try but a 1/2 dowel had play and this jet is not worn. Unfortunately I don't have any larger Keene jets to compare directly. The basic formula's are good starting points 1/4 the diameter (1/16th the area). As Omni points out, It is the hydraulic ram effect throughout the entire area of the jet's outlet that is one of the improvements in multiple jets. Great info Omni!

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I was always told that the log must match the pump to work the best. im not saying that these posts are wrong but not any ole pump/log will work on this principle!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DO NOT FORGET that the jets are cut at a angle and the side showing is NOT the true size of the jet as cut radically inside also, tapered cut. Thats Radius squared x PI = 1" inductor=.5 x .5 x 3.14=.785 square inches. This is where science and practical application do NOT mix well as 100s of factors not figured in-for every action their is a equal or greater reaction to said stimulis. Now thats a jet as all factors matter extremely from inductor size,to angles they fabbed,to length of jet,size of flair,depth in the water,angle of induction into header and on and on and on. A dredge is not that hard to make but good dredge IS A LOT OF WORK. Remember even Einsteins therory of relativity is absolutely unrefutably been proven wrong. Build that thang and get it on as times a wastn' and you'll be modifying for years to come--so much fun-John

OP
OP
G1sammons

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
DO NOT FORGET that the jets are cut at a angle and the side showing is NOT the true size of the jet as cut radically inside also, tapered cut. Thats Radius squared x PI = 1" inductor=.5 x .5 x 3.14=.785 square inches. This is where science and practical application do NOT mix well as 100s of factors not figured in-for every action their is a equal or greater reaction to said stimulis. Now thats a jet as all factors matter extremely from inductor size,to angles they fabbed,to length of jet,size of flair,depth in the water,angle of induction into header and on and on and on. A dredge is not that hard to make but good dredge IS A LOT OF WORK. Remember even Einsteins therory of relativity is absolutely unrefutably been proven wrong. Build that thang and get it on as times a wastn' and you'll be modifying for years to come--so much fun-John
well I was gona have glen oats build a infinity jet john be I can't get ahold of him anymore... I really don't want to mess with it ...but it seems I have no choice...

Timberdoodle

Oct 17, 2012
Kingfield, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good points John. On the 2" jet I was trying to take the measurement at the maximum restriction point (jet orifice) internal to the casting before the orifice expands back out. With a 1/2 dowel I appeared to have about 1/16 of play all the way around the dowel. This matches up with some throughput tests of jet volume I did last summer with 50psi supplied and 80gpm through this jet which is what a 5/8 orifice would provide. Does anyone have a larger Keene jet they can give feedback on to G1?

OP
OP
G1sammons

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good points John. On the 2" jet I was trying to take the measurement at the maximum restriction point (jet orifice) internal to the casting before the orifice expands back out. With a 1/2 dowel I appeared to have about 1/16 of play all the way around the dowel. This matches up with some throughput tests of jet volume I did last summer with 50psi supplied and 80gpm through this jet which is what a 5/8 orifice would provide. Does anyone have a larger Keene jet they can give feedback on to G1?
will soon but mine is at the shop waiting on new tubbing ..
I really want to do a quad or something like a infinity ..I just don't have the time right now! Work is really busy and if I don't stay on it I won't have time for nome this summer ..

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope Glen is OK(thats Oates with a e)---please follow up and see --great fabman,miner and advocate just hope he's busy as usual???John

OP
OP
G1sammons

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hope Glen is OK(thats Oates with a e)---please follow up and see --great fabman,miner and advocate just hope he's busy as usual???John
i know he's working on a new dredge and hovercraft he may be too busy to get to it ...iv sent him pm and a email but not herd anything back it's been a week . I have no other way to get I touch with him..
He'll maybe I said something the pissed him off ! I hope not

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread